New vs Old Benchmade Steep Country Initial thoughts and Comparison

OP
TheBootBowhunting
How did you get them to price match? Did you do it online or was it in person at the store? Do you think they would price match when its out of stock at BladeHQ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As I noted in a prior post, Its in stock at dlttrading.com for 79.95. I cannot speak for dlt, as Ive never bought anything from them, but if Scheels wont price match it with the gift card, 79.95 is still a damn good price. Good luck grabbing 1.

Just skimming reviews on bladeforums and reddit, DLT seems to have an excellent reputation.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Well, thanks a lot OP. I had this on a dated "well, some day you should get one of those" list that should be irrelevant based on some other knives I've bought since then. But, I bought one from DLT and will report back if there are any problems (other than the current USPS delivery issues).

jrm02

FNG
Well, this thread just cost me $86 (with shipping from dlttrading). This knife has been on my "I should buy one of those someday" lists as well.....that day was today.

TN2shot07

WKR
Glad I happened across this one, just put in an order at dlt, that was a steal. I was holding out for the new version but doesn’t look like they fixed the sheath so might as well save the $50!

Valid complaints, I just guess I am not picky about sheaths lol

I grabbed mine from Scheels they price matched bladehq and they had an online deal for a $25 e gift card to boot. Essentially got it for $84.99 with a $25 gift card.
I wasn't picky about sheaths either until I had one fail and experience a really nice sheath. If your sheath becomes inoperable in the backcountry, it's hard to figure out what to do with a razor sharp fixed blade day in and out (assuming you don't lose the blade without noticing when it breaks).

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
Just put in an order for a backup V1, i was looking forward to the new sheath and grip but it doesnt sound like its worth the blade shape. Glad i was able to get a V1 before they were gone!

Opia

FNG
Thank you for making this post, I've been looking everywhere for opinions on the new Steep Country. For some reason I could not get on board with the overall look of the new design. Better jimping was a great move but the updated blade shape isn't as appealing and looks too big IMO.

OP
TheBootBowhunting
Thank you for making this post, I've been looking everywhere for opinions on the new Steep Country. For some reason I could not get on board with the overall look of the new design. Better jimping was a great move but the updated blade shape isn't as appealing and looks too big IMO.

I dont think the V2 is a bad blade. There also no doubt I prefer the V1. And its not because Ive used it more. The v2 just doesnt do as well with precision and skinning. Just watched a bladehq video on youtube and the benchmade guy said they changed the blade shape to be more utility - which explains a lot. Looks like they want the new $$ hidden canyon to be the old steep country.

Last edited:

Jo83ben

FNG
I wish I had picked one up when they were on clearance at sportsmans for 100 bucks. New ones are crazy more expensive! Lots of love for benchmade though! They're made right about 40mins up the road from me. I have their nestucca cleaver and love it. Weird ass knife, but it works really well and fits the hand surprisingly well for skinning.

Agross

WKR
I just ordered a steep country from dlttrading.com this morning . It was odd because I tried to order it last night but it showed out of stock . Then this morning the orange handle was in stock and the black handle was out of stock still. Just an FYI, in my searches , I found the black handled 15008 at knifeguyusa.com for about the same price. I like the looks of the black handle better but went with the orange handle so I don't lose it the first time I use it. Looking forward to checking this knife out. I've always wanted to try a benchmade knife.
Full disclosure , I've never orders from either place before. Just wanted to give a heads up.

dwent

FNG
OP, I wonder if you just got a dud sheath. I’d hit up Benchmade they stand behind their stuff. Wife bought me the new Saddle Mountain a couple weeks ago as a birthday present. The knife fit is anything but loose. I can’t imagine trimming the wings off of it because I’d never be able to get the knife out of without having them to push against. I don’t get any rattle. I realize your review is not of the Saddle Mountain but I can’t imagine they would have designed the sheaths to fit differently.

OP
TheBootBowhunting
OP, I wonder if you just got a dud sheath. I’d hit up Benchmade they stand behind their stuff. Wife bought me the new Saddle Mountain a couple weeks ago as a birthday present. The knife fit is anything but loose. I can’t imagine trimming the wings off of it because I’d never be able to get the knife out of without having them to push against. I don’t get any rattle. I realize your review is not of the Saddle Mountain but I can’t imagine they would have designed the sheaths to fit differently.

I guess it could be. I almost only use Benchmade knives, as much as I like them, their factory sheaths are always the weak spot, I guess Im conditioned to not expecting much from benchmade sheaths. I dont particularly like boltoron, its a cheaper plastic than kydex - but it works for a pack knife sheath. The rattling is bad. No tension on the knife, the one time I pulled it out of my pack, the sheath stayed in. If you are keeping it in a kill kit, probably wouldnt matter. Last thing you need is to pull a knife out of a pack and cut a water bladder or shelter on the way out.

I think the issue with the sheath on the steep country is slightly different than the saddle mountain in that the santoprene handle doesnt give you a rock solid handle to click into a sheath. The sheath on the v1 steep county had a piece of kydex with a leather button retaining strap on it. I think its harder to work with santoprene when forming plastic. Regardless, the fit is awful on this sheath that came with my v2 steep country, the blade doesnt even fit. I wish there was a way to imbed a video to show you all how bad it is.

I just sent an email to Benchmade, Ill see what they say. Thanks

Last edited:
I agree that the “wings” on the new sheath are ridiculous and pointless. I trimmed them down with a dremel then sanded the edges smooth, much better. I never owned the old model so I cannot compare them, but it does seem like the blade height is long. It looked goofy at first but the look has grown on me.

Attachments

• 9DC2656E-ADD8-4702-9831-5A269C022657.jpeg
    9DC2656E-ADD8-4702-9831-5A269C022657.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 51
  • 6C281073-6926-4CD3-8030-48D522857CD3.jpeg
    6C281073-6926-4CD3-8030-48D522857CD3.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 51
OP
TheBootBowhunting
I agree that the “wings” on the new sheath are ridiculous and pointless. I trimmed them down with a dremel then sanded the edges smooth, much better. I never owned the old model so I cannot compare them, but it does seem like the blade height is long. It looked goofy at first but the look has grown on me.

Exactly what I did. Even if they sheath fit perfect, Id still dremel those wings off. Theres enough of a ramp left to get enough push to get even a tight fitting knife out.

Does yours fit as poorly as mine, rattling like hell? Its not simply the santoprene handle being a problem. the blade itself doesnt fit at all.