New wading boots needed. Simms saltwater boots maybe?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Cabela's wading boots are falling apart. Sole coming off and boot itself is separating. I might try to repair but I feel certain I need new boots.

My first pair of wading boots were the old heavy Weinbrenner boots and they were bombproof. I have owned Chota, Cabelas and Simms and found none were very durable. The toe guard and/or sole would start to deform or separate long before the tread wore off. I don't walk long distances on dry ground and have not used these in saltwater and I don't leave them in the sun either.

I know many folks like the Simms boots but my results (3 pair) have been average at best. I do like Simms waders but boots-not so much.

I am curious however about a boot Simms has that is designed for saltwater. Perhaps it has a different construction that might be more durable. Anyone with experience on these boots? Other suggestions?

S.Clancy

WKR
My experience was that Simms boots always failed within a year or 2. Like soles ripping off, etc. I've had much better luck with Orvis boots

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I am not alone about the short life span of Simms boots. I was just reading about Orvis' ultralight boot. I've never owned Orvis boots-might have to try those.

2ski

WKR
I have a pair of leather orvis boots. They're great. Stiff. And still going strong. I like the ankle support. Bought them like a decade ago so not sure if they still make them.

I have the Patagonia boots made by Danner And find them to be very durable (And fully repairable/warrantied). In my experience they do run about a size small. They are pricey but with as many days as I put on them they’ve proven to be awfully durable.

Savage99

WKR
So I am not alone about the short life span of Simms boots. I was just reading about Orvis' ultralight boot. I've never owned Orvis boots-might have to try those.

I just bought an Orvis pair for my brother. Hopeful they will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk