new watch

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
It must have squeezed through the cracks. I am a fan of suunto watches. I have a vector and core. Both great watches.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I missed this thread too!

I am also a Suunto fan. I have a Vector that still works great, but has been beat to chit.

Keep the DEET away from whatever you get!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
x2 Suunto Core or Vector

I can't stress how great these watches are. I've beaten these things up and I can't break them. From hunting to deployments they are the best watches I've ever owned.

OP
fillthefreezer
It must have squeezed through the cracks. I am a fan of suunto watches. I have a vector and core. Both great watches.

ive been looking at both of those. i found what seems like good deals on them, the core for 190 or the vector with HR monitor for 190 but i dont know which would work better

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Casio Pathfinder has been on my wrist for the last ten plus years. I tried a Suunto, but it was more complicated than I wanted as it had so many features I wouldn't use. The Pathfinder is an ABC watch that is right in front of you and easy to understand and use.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
ive been looking at both of those. i found what seems like good deals on them, the core for 190 or the vector with HR monitor for 190 but i dont know which would work better

I like the hr monitor as I'm a cyclist. I must tell you though, I have sent my vector back once to be fixed. I am getting ready to send it back again. This time they will say wtf did you do to this thing! The vector is lighter which I like. You should go to rei or a sporting goods store if you have one near and check both of them out.

Slim Jim

WKR
Casio Pathfinder has been on my wrist for the last ten plus years. I tried a Suunto, but it was more complicated than I wanted as it had so many features I wouldn't use. The Pathfinder is an ABC watch that is right in front of you and easy to understand and use.

X2 on that Doug

OP
fillthefreezer
I like the hr monitor as I'm a cyclist. I must tell you though, I have sent my vector back once to be fixed. I am getting ready to send it back again. This time they will say wtf did you do to this thing! The vector is lighter which I like. You should go to rei or a sporting goods store if you have one near and check both of them out.
i did handle them at rei, didnt see too much difference. what needed repair on the vector?
i figured the HR would be cool for biking and running plus hiking with a heavy pack i could attempt to match a run as far as HR is concerned

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Not too pretty anymore, but still rollin' along. I have had this thing for 5 years or so, and I have only had to change batteries.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359654558.538809.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359654558.538809.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 167

jherald

WKR
Suunto Vector, 4 years running. Have worn it during all my outdoor activities and during my work. Has seen some more serious knockarounds during my work than out in the field.

Just be sure to put a Zag invisible shield on the face and you will be solid. The faces scratch easy on the vectors. Invisible shield will protect the face on any crystal or glass face as well.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive used both the Suunto Vector and the Casio Pathfinder.
The Vector
Good- MUCH lighter, I was surprised how much lighter. I really like the Baro graph in the upper left corner. I liked all the displays, when calibrated seemed accurate
Bad- Mine eats batteries like an 85 blazer eats fuel, Suunto specific watch band, complicated/not intuitative menus. I still have to get out my manual every time I calibrate it. Mine is begining to leak, the screen fogs any time it gets wet. Alarm is pathetic- too quiet.
The Pathfinder.
Good- Never have to change battieries its solar powered, Im pretty sure you could shoot it and it would still work, takes normal watch bands, much easier to navigate the features.
Bad- I really dislike the location of the light button, youd think it would be easy to hit but I constantly struggle to find it in the dark. Noticably heavier than the Suunto.

My Suunto is probally close to 10 years old, you cant read any of the lettering around the out side of it. Ive worn it ALOT.
My Casio is I suppose 4-5 years old. I just started wearing it everyday in the last year because the Sunntos watch band broke and I just havent gotten around to ordering another yet.

OP
fillthefreezer
Ive used both the Suunto Vector and the Casio Pathfinder.
The Vector
Good- MUCH lighter, I was surprised how much lighter. I really like the Baro graph in the upper left corner. I liked all the displays, when calibrated seemed accurate
Bad- Mine eats batteries like an 85 blazer eats fuel, Suunto specific watch band, complicated/not intuitative menus. I still have to get out my manual every time I .
ive got an 81 blazer that gets 18 ;)

pulled the trigger on the vector with HR band

tstowater

WKR
+1 Suunto. I have an Observer. Just change batteries periodically and good to go. ^^^^^^^^--Agree with assessment on Sunnto.

dotman

WKR
I had a Casio Pathfinder that crapped out and never really liked it, went with a Suunto Core and really really like it so far. Super simple to use once figured out :). It easy to change batts out, so I'll keep a spare handy.

trk3263

WKR
Casio Pathfinder here. Cost less than the Suunto and solar so no battery change needed (every 6 months so I hear).
I also like the auto light feature on the pathfinder for when I am in the backcountry. Activates by just holding your watch up like you checking the time. (I have this feature turned off when not packing in so work reasons)

OBP

WKR
I have a Suunto and love mine. I haven't really had battery issues either, I've had to change mine out around every 2 years which I don't think is out of line at all.