New Western Hunter

szostak23

FNG
Going on my first elk trip and am starting from scratch in terms of gear. I’m looking for a general checklist so I can start doing some research on brands, etc.. Also, any suggestions on gear is appreciated.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! Time to check out the gear and sleep system forums; just about everything you want is likely in one of those two places. Gonna be a lot to read! Good luck!

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I would start by scrolling down a bit and reading the thread cheap stuff that works.

Don’t get me wrong, quality gear is nice and I own more than my share of it but there is no need spending thousands of dollars to get started. The exceptions, in my opinion, are boots and a sleeping pad... spend the money and get quality right off the bat. Feet problems and poor sleep will ruin a hunt in a hurry.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Rob5589 is right. Lots of info available here to answer your questions.

I do suggest, after you figure out what will work for where and how you'll hunt, to visit the classifieds to find your gear. Will almost certainly save you some decent scratch.

Which state and unit?

Good luck,

Eddie

mtnlomo

FNG
Good luck, and I agree, you'll find all you want and more picking through forums about every little detail, better than any ten responses to your thread here. For elk the one thing I would say is have good boots and a good pack, elk hunting can take a toll on your body and subpar gear on your feet and back makes for a miserable hunt or end it sooner than you'd like. As for purchasing the gear, the classifieds have tons of excellent options at very good price points.

OP
S

szostak23

FNG
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Rob5589 is right. Lots of info available here to answer your questions.

I do suggest, after you figure out what will work for where and how you'll hunt, to visit the classifieds to find your gear. Will almost certainly save you some decent scratch.

Which state and unit?

Good luck,

Eddie
Colorado and Unit 81

Spence14

WKR
The gear forums here are great and I'm sure there are plenty of gear list post if you use the search function. There are also plenty of "Bag Dump" videos on youtube that let you see what different people bring. I know Aron Snyder had one on his Instagram last year that was in-depth (also if you are new to backpack hunting, follow him and his podcast.)

j33

WKR
Don’t forget the insoles for the boots. Spend some time perfecting that. I have a new set of boots that my typical green super feet insoles don’t like so I need to experiment.

You didnt say if you currently hunt now. If you do hunt now you might have somethings already that will work. The suggestions of watching bag dumps is a good one. If I was in your shoes that is what I would do. I would make a list and hit the classifieds for the best quality I could afford. If you decide it isnt for you then its easy to sell the same way you bought it.