New Whitetail RIfle and Caliber

ShaneC

FNG
This will be my first rifle purchase in a long time. I have some different magnum calibers but am wanting something a little different. I have settled between the 6.5prc, 280ai, and 6.8western. This will be used for whitetail and hogs looking over large green fields and ag fields. This would be a 600yd gun. I would like the barrel no longer than 24" plus brake if possible. Everything I have found has been 26".
Also I am just getting into handloading, have all the equipment but still learning. So factory ammo won't be as much of an issue.

If that is your goal anything will work. 6.5 CM tikka on sale at sportsman’s is what I went with. You could do 7-08, 30-06, 243, 270, anything. I would consider the 257 wby also. Because I like wby guns in lefty. Most of my buddies use 300 win mag as their do all. I have a 7mm mag also that will work. The options for deer are endless. Find one that fits right and fits your budget and go kill stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
If that is your goal anything will work. 6.5 CM tikka on sale at sportsman’s is what I went with. You could do 7-08, 30-06, 243, 270, anything. I would consider the 257 wby also. Because I like wby guns in lefty. Most of my buddies use 300 win mag as their do all. I have a 7mm mag also that will work. The options for deer are endless. Find one that fits right and fits your budget and go kill stuff.

I have a 300wm and 300wby and also a 7-08. Just wanted something new, as in new gun. Kind of settled on one of those three rounds.

Gotcha. I don’t think there is a wrong one in the bunch then. Old probably stick with one of the 6’s since you already have a 7-08 and the 300’s. The 280 may not be “different enough.”

elkguide

WKR
Of the calibers that you have suggested and with what you already have, (and since I have rifles in the calibers that you do and "maybe" a few more), let me say that just last week I bought a 6.5 PRC. I had the itch for "just one more" and was trying to decide between the 280AI and the 6.5 PRC. After looking at where each of them were balistically compared to the 7mm08 (which I have a couple and love) I decided that the PRC was what I "NEEDED." Good luck on your search for your next, best rifle.

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
Of the calibers that you have suggested and with what you already have, (and since I have rifles in the calibers that you do and "maybe" a few more), let me say that just last week I bought a 6.5 PRC. I had the itch for "just one more" and was trying to decide between the 280AI and the 6.5 PRC. After looking at where each of them were balistically compared to the 7mm08 (which I have a couple and love) I decided that the PRC was what I "NEEDED." Good luck on your search for your next, best rifle.
Which gun did you end up with? I looked at the Sako S20 hunter version and it felt really nice. I see alot of people are recomending the Christenson or a Seekins.

elkguide

WKR
I found a Tang safety Ruger 77 with a custom barrel in 6.5 PRC.

I have Christensens and if I hadn't found this custom, that is likely the way that I would have gone. If I had gone the 280AI route, I have been drooling over a Christensen Ridgeline that would have been mine.

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
I found a Tang safety Ruger 77 with a custom barrel in 6.5 PRC.

I have Christensens and if I hadn't found this custom, that is likely the way that I would have gone. If I had gone the 280AI route, I have been drooling over a Christensen Ridgeline that would have been mine.
I have a 22-250 in a tang safety Rugar 77 with a bull barrel.

I am leaning toward the Christensen just do not have any experience with them. But have heard a lot of good things about them.

elkguide

WKR
I have always had a soft spot for a tang safety and even though many gunsmiths don't like the Ruger 77 action, I was fortunate to find this one and it made my decision easy.

I do like the Christensen Arms rifles a lot. Some don't care for their stocks and if I was still shooting benchrest, I would change the stock myself but as a hunting rifle, the ones in my safe now are all under a half inch at 100yards and that is as good as I can shoot anymore.

Around $2k. Don't really have a hard budget.
I ended up with a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 in 6.5 PRC. 280ai was a strong consideration, but I couldn’t find anything I liked with a 24” barrel (or less). FWIW, the T3X Superlite is 24.3” and Super Varmint is 23.7”, and the latter is threaded. I probably would’ve went that direction had they existed at that time.

Guess what I’m saying is what you’re after is out there. It’s probably only going to be a PRC, though.

Seeknelk

WKR
Well...I said seekins because of your upper price range but really a Tikka with a night Force atacr or tangent theta scope would be a better use of funds. Serious optics on a super accurate simple off the shelf Tikka will do amazing things.

I drank the 6.5 Creedmoor kool-aid and I am glad I did. It is easy to shoot, accurate and effective. I had a Fierce first and shooting factory precision hunter this things and spot on. I just bought another one but this time a Tikka superlight previously mentioned to leave at the cabin and for others to shoot. Its just cheap and easy. Having said that my next gun will be a 6.8 western to fit between my 6.5 and 300PRC. Anything you mentioned would be fine. I am late to the precision game and I just went with modern calibers.

Xbolt hells canyon speed in 280AI has a 24” barrel. I really like mine. It’s sub-MOA with 2 of the 3 factory ammos I’ve tried thus far.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
I’d do 280AI… if you’re getting into reloading you can load for your 7mm08 and your 280AI with the same bullet!

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. There are just so many options, which is a good thing.

Last edited: