New Wood Stock Rifle, What Brand?

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to buy a new rifle this year and want a wood stock. I have too many high end rifles with synthetic stocks and want a decent rifle with a wood stock for mule deer and antelope hunting. I was looking at the Winchester featherweight, the Kimber, the browning x-bolt. Should there be another brand to take a look at? I looked at cooper but they are pretty spendy, 2k max is what I am looking to spend. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Bergara and Tikka make a wood stocked rifle.

My pick would be a maple stocked Browning Xbolt Medallion or Winchester M70.

>>>----JAKE----->

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Winchester M70 (stainless featherweight) or Sako 85.

I own a Kimber, as a light weight utility rifle it is worth the fiddling. For any us where I'm not counting ounces I would not even look at Kimber. Of course, that opinion might be worth about what you payed for it.

Have you considered getting a wood stock for one of your current rifles?

EmperorMA

WKR
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 Win, 7mm-08 or .270 WSM. I’d do a Creed but that 150 ABLR coming out of that .270 WSM’s 23” barrel is a formidable open-country combination.

EVERY new M70 I’ve been around shoots well right out of the box.

I’d also jump all over a Browning X-Bolt White Gold Medallion if I hadn’t seen and fondled those Featherweights.

Last edited:

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Tikka .243 with a wooden stock this year and my wife loves it. Not exactly a classic look, especially with with an SWFA scope and sportsmatch rings on it, but it is a Tikka and it shoots like one.

Erict

WKR
I fell in love with a wood stocked Remington CDL. It shoots great. It used to look great. Several trips out west have found me crawling over and around rocky areas, over/under fences, through tight gates, etc. A gun is a tool to me. I use it, but don't abuse it. There is only so much "babying" I can do when in the field with it. The dings and scratches are adding up but I'm not one to refinish my stock yearly, so I'll live with it. Good luck!

wildcat33

WKR
I was going to say Dakota but I saw your 2k max. M70 super grade, kimber super America, or Sako 85 deluxe on the used market would be my top choices.

Saw a Browning xbolt “long range” with wood stock and adjustable cheek piece. Was the best looking wood rifle I’ve seen in a long time.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I hear you in the wood stock look, and I agree with @EmperorMA on that White Gold - beautiful!

You mentioned Cooper as too spendy. If you are OK with buying used, you can get one for $2k or less. I found a really nice 25-06 a year or two ago. I sent it in to Cooper to have it threaded, and it was a minimal charge and the new 3 shot group they sent back was as good or better than the original.

TomJoad

WKR
Love my walnut stocked kimber 308. If weight was less of a concern I’d go for a Sako 85. An alternative at a lower price could be a Sauer 101.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Love my walnut stocked kimber 308. If weight was less of a concern I’d go for a Sako 85. An alternative at a lower price could be a Sauer 101.

Is the Sako 85 same as the tikka?

Scottyboy

WKR
My all time favorite (which I have regretted selling for about 15yrs now) is the CZ; specifically in my case a CZ 550 chambered in 375 H&H 😍😍

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Is the Sako 85 same as the tikka?

No. The Sako 85 is a completely different design from the Tikka. Comes in 6 different action lengeths to match the cartridge, very few plastic components, open top receiver as apposed to the Tikkas coin slot, better safety, better bolt design. Some of them have ejection issues with low mounted scopes. They have the smoothest production action I have handled other than a Mauser M98.

sako_85__85-classic-deluxe__pov__2.png

TxxAgg

WKR
As much as I like Tikkas, the wood stock and polymer bottoms just don't look right

I would look at rhe CZ 527 or 557. They are a lot of gun for the money. I like them quite a bit more than the comparable Bergara. And they're lightyears better than Remington. I can't speak to the M70.