New World Record Bighorn

wyosteve

WKR
Just saw the score sheet and picture of the pending new world record bighorn. Gross just over 217--net just over 216!! What a monster. Came from Wild Horse Island in Montana, but not sure if it was a hunter kill or found dead. I saw it on a buddy's Facebook page, but I think Montana Game and Fish site should have it.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Saw picsof that great animal, pretty sure it was a dead head.

As for size, I've seen bigger...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
The Boone and Crockett Facebook page has the pic and score sheet, and, yes, it does appear to be a pick up head.

Yep, it's a pick up. No hunting allowed on Wild Horse Island. It's a small state park, and the sheep population is controlled by periodically transplanting sheep to other locations.

Two other rams scoring 205 and 209 were also picked up there recently. That's what, 3 rams in the top ten from the same small island? Crazy. Amazing animal.

Broomd

WKR
About 6-7 years ago a single lightning strike on Wild Horse Island killed about 11 rams if memory serves. And they were some great ones too.

Trial153

WKR
if it was utah they would be auctioning off a pair of tags a year....

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
auctioning with proceeds towards conservation efforts seems wise.

There have been 400+ sheep transplanted off of the island. Seems to me like the island is holding its own in regards to conservation efforts. As fun as it would be to see 35 guys sitting behind a ram that was shot off of a 2,000 acre island, I hope that they keep things the way that they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
There have been 400+ sheep transplanted off of the island. Seems to me like the island is holding its own in regards to conservation efforts. As fun as it would be to see 35 guys sitting behind a ram that was shot off of a 2,000 acre island, I hope that they keep things the way that they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2... what they are doing there needs to be left alone. Anyway it would take away from the current MT auction tag which gets the largest price out of any tag.

WRO

WKR
if it was utah they would be auctioning off a pair of tags a year....
Want to **** up a good thing in hunting, get a Texan or a Utard involved.

If it's got horns or antlers, they'll try and sell it to the highest bidder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Yes I kind of sort of a little bit was saying it tongue in cheek. However the truth of the matter is we all lucky that Montana was in charge and blessed with this resource. Because not every state would I have used it the same way And to as many people's benefit.

Broomd

WKR
I'm typically not in favor of auction type hunts...but when one considers that world record deadheads are being found on that island, even *one hunt* every two-three years might raise $2-300,000 in badly needed wildlife resources for rams that will succumb to old age anyway.

Hell, the possibility of a world record-class animal might raise $500,000. Let them fight/bid over it for that kind of money.
That one bid would pay for 7-8 CO's for a year!

Last edited:

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm typically not in favor of auction type hunts...but when one considers that world record deadheads are being found on that island, even *one hunt* every two-three years might raise $2-300,000 in badly needed wildlife resources for rams that will succumb to old age anyway.

Hell, the possibility of a world record-class animal might raise $500,000. Let them fight/bid over it for that kind of money.
That's not a half bad idea really. Make the age class for legal rams on the high side to ensure good young breeding rams aren't being taken. And as you say if someone is going to pay $300k for a chance at a 200 plus inch ram it's helping the species.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This year the Montana tag sold for 335000 the record was a few years back for 480000. When it sold for the record amount there was a ram that would have been the new record. The ram boomed off about five inches which ended up scoring around 205. I would venture to say that if they ever auctioned off a tag that could be used on the island it would go for well over 500000. Now if dyeing from old age is better than someone harvesting the ram for a lot of money is not for me to say.

I say harvesting because I would imagine it would be a lot like shooting a domestic sheep.

Either way this is an amazing success for Big Horn Sheep

Colorado's bighorn tag went for 130000 this year