New Yamaha Kodiak 450 or 700?

Ready to pull the trigger on a new quad and I've decided on the Kodiak. Local dealer has a bunch of 2021 450s and 700s in stock. The 450s are available in both the base model and the EPS version with PS and diff lock, the 700s are base models only. Basically a loaded 450 and base 700 are the same price, the base 450 is about $1100 cheaper.
For those with either quad, do you feel that the front locker is a must have or the 450 is grossly underpowered? Not looking at any other machines besides the Kodiak at this time.

OP
CApighunter
Locker is nice for sure. Are you operating in the mountains at altitude? Figure 3% reduction per 1k of elevation. The 450 gets anemic quick with any payload or snow/mud.
There is an aftermarket option to add a locker to the 700 that’s not terribly expensive. Might be a good route to go. I live at sea level and most my hunting this year will be fairly low but it will see 10k+ on occasion.

If the only choice is 700 w/o locker base or 450 w/locker and ps
Get the 450 w/locker and ps.
I have a big bear 400 with a locker, on steep and rocky difficult parts of trail, it makes a world of difference.
I won't own another without a locker

What are your primary uses? Towing? Snow plowing? Do you like to rip or putt around? How old are you?

The Kodiak is a smaller narrower quad the last I knew. The new Grizzlies starting in 2017 are a large bike vs pre-‘17 Grizzlies. Are you a big person? Kodiak may not be for you.

I like EPS, the smaller sized bike and have no need for 700 power. Buddy had good luck with his 450 for many yrs, selling it for close to what he paid for it. He got a used 700…old model with smaller frame size and likes it fine.

I’ve had good luck with my ‘13 Grizzly 550 with EPS. Nice smaller size, rides great etc. I do think it has a better, more comfortable seat than the Kodiak I compared it to.

I do like the locker on my Grizzly….but you can do tons of riding, hauling, plowing, and towing without it. My old Hondas did not have it and I never needed it. But I’m an adult and do not mud beyond going caribou and moose hunting. And I have winched in muskeg and icy hills towing a trailer with 10 days worth of winter camp, etc.

I'm not an owner of either, but ensure you sit on them. I wanted to like the Kodiak, but man when you get on them the handlebar positions are really low for me (Normal sized guy 6'2"). A year later I went back and tried again, and just couldn't get over the angle. I notice there are aftermarket bars for them, but I wasn't buying a new bike just to tear off the bars to put some new ones on.

OP
CApighunter
What are your primary uses? Towing? Snow plowing? Do you like to rip or putt around? How old are you?

The Kodiak is a smaller narrower quad the last I knew. The new Grizzlies starting in 2017 are a large bike vs pre-‘17 Grizzlies. Are you a big person? Kodiak may not be for you.

I like EPS, the smaller sized bike and have no need for 700 power. Buddy had good luck with his 450 for many yrs, selling it for close to what he paid for it. He got a used 700…old model with smaller frame size and likes it fine.

I’ve had good luck with my ‘13 Grizzly 550 with EPS. Nice smaller size, rides great etc. I do think it has a better, more comfortable seat than the Kodiak I compared it to.

I do like the locker on my Grizzly….but you can do tons of riding, hauling, plowing, and towing without it. My old Hondas did not have it and I never needed it. But I’m an adult and do not mud beyond going caribou and moose hunting. And I have winched in muskeg and icy hills towing a trailer with 10 days worth of winter camp, etc.
Hunting and recreational trail riding, no plowing or towing. 26, 6’2” and 230lbs. I’m not a speed demon, more so putting around than ripping up trails wide open. I’ve sat on both and the taller seat height of the 700 felt slightly more comfortable but the 450 wasn’t bad ergonomically. I currently have a 2005 500cc Foreman that’s up there in miles and I simply don’t have the time to wrench on it any more. Either model would get a winch added on.

Not a yamaha. I have a bare bones Honda 420 rancher. Has been bullet proof. Was concerned about power to plow and it pushes a "county" plow with ease . Drive is quarter mile long in Minnesota. Have taken it to Wyoming a number of times in mountains without issues. I like a smaller machine vs bigger in some areas where it's more nimble. Good luck

Hunting and recreational trail riding, no plowing or towing. 26, 6’2” and 230lbs. I’m not a speed demon, more so putting around than ripping up trails wide open. I’ve sat on both and the taller seat height of the 700 felt slightly more comfortable but the 450 wasn’t bad ergonomically. I currently have a 2005 500cc Foreman that’s up there in miles and I simply don’t have the time to wrench on it any more. Either model would get a winch added on.

Coming off a Honda with gears like I did you will miss low RPM putting that a Honda will do as well as the Hondas better fuel economy when idling around. The Auto tranny on the Yamaha is great but you are always on the throttle running more RPMs with the Yamaha otherwise it won’t move, including going down grades. Only negative to the Yamaha vs your old bike. You will love how a Yamaha rides and handles.

OP
CApighunter
Go with the 700. Especially if you even think you may want to put tracks on it. Great machines!
Tracks would be neat but I doubt it would see enough snow to justify it. This is something of a buy one/cry once deal so the bigger motor and adding in a diff lock later might be the way to go. PS is not a big deal to me and I couldn’t care less about the fancier wheels that come on the EPS models.

Broomd

WKR
I'm not an owner of either, but ensure you sit on them. I wanted to like the Kodiak, but man when you get on them the handlebar positions are really low for me (Normal sized guy 6'2"). A year later I went back and tried again, and just couldn't get over the angle. I notice there are aftermarket bars for them, but I wasn't buying a new bike just to tear off the bars to put some new ones on.
I added alum. bar risers to our pair of Grizzly 700's...easy to do, and it brings em up to where they should be.
Cheap on eBay too...

Randle

WKR
I have had both. You cant go wrong with either at this point. Both fuel inj. (takes care of the altitude/carb problems i had with my 450)
PS and power difference, take it or leave it (unless you want tracks or towing or 2 riders)
450 is more nimble in tight trails. 700 is more fun with the power.
700 more ground clearance and more comfortable.
450 Efi my be better on fuel not sure though.
I went with camo because 10 years later the plastice still looks great. No boot scuffs or North Idaho pinstripe all up the sides
Try to ride both and see how they feel
then go have fun

j33

WKR
For only $1100 difference go 700. If you decide to sell it in the future you will get that difference back no question and in the meantime you get all the benefits of increased power.

It’s rare to meet someone who regrets getting too much power in quad, but I have met a heck of a lot of folks that regret not getting bigger. 700 for the win.