New Year, New Scope?

I am leaning heavily towards a nightforce or the Burris XTR 3. If an NXS was ffp I would probably have 3 of them. I have good eyes and seeing a reticle hasn't been an issue for me. I killed a bull at 30 yards in timber with my Mk 5 5-25x without issue. Knowing the subtensions are always the same is one less thing for me to worry about. So the NX8 is likely going to be my choice, I like the idea of the 2-20 but I'll need to look through one and form my own opinion on how good or bad they actually are. I'm about to close on a house otherwise I'd just go for an ATACR. My last resort will be giving in to a bushnell and learning MILs as they check all the boxes I am looking for except being MOA.

At this point I am going to see what shakes out after the SHOT show before I bust out the visa.
Opinions be damned on the Mark 5 I have had issues and may consider handing mine over to @ryanavery for one of these torture tests. Regardless I do believe that these tests will expose a lot of shortcomings and am excited to see what comes of it.
I finally took the plunge into mils last year with a March FX 4.5-28, it's not any harder to learn it's just a different output.
One thing I really like if that everything is a multiple of 10, I'm in the process of converting everything to mils now.

If you hand that mk5 over for testing it's only fair that you send it back to Leupold first to see if they find a problem, putting what you say is a defective scope through the ringer does nothing for anyone

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I agree and it is going to go back. I shot it again yesterday and it's all over the place. Something is internally wrong. (Yes I checked every screw on the gun, everything was tight.)

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Well to give an update I ended up going with the NX8 4-32. I was able to play with a couple and I felt that it was better than my Mark 5 as far as turrets and feel go and the eye box issue wasnt near what some people have made it out to be. Never owned a NF before but I am excited to see how it does.
I also just got an email yesterday saying that my NEW Mark 5 is on the way but they didn't give me any info as to what was actually wrong when they notified me of it being replaced under warranty. I had the scope since they came out with the MOA version so 3 or 4 years. The scope was never abused, granted I shot a couple thousand rounds with it but I can't even recall dropping it or having any significant falls. Hopefully it was just a lemon and the next one lasts a little longer because i do love the optic overall and Leupold's customer service was great through that whole process.
I couldn't find a Burris on any shelf to look at, even though Camera Land has a pretty screaming deal on for the XTR 3 right now but I don't like buying things without putting hands them.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I couldn't find a Burris on any shelf to look at, even though Camera Land has a pretty screaming deal on for the XTR 3 right now but I don't like buying things without putting hands them

At the price...its worth hunting down all the reviews on the internet and making a call.

I did.

And I'll have one this coming week.

Will post my thoughts.

Seems like 1/2 the folks thing the reticle is a bit light for hunting, but some dont mind. Not my buck, but see link....

00054E80-AB76-4040-81B1-B87D0298FD9C.jpeg

slim9300

WKR
I can’t speak to the internals but I can speak to the results. I have beat the heck out of the two NF scopes I have owned and they have never lost zero or not tracked perfectly. One of them rolled down a mountain and took a heavy impact. NF optics are just as good or better than the best and I can see at night on low magnification, so they are good enough for me. I would buy NF and go used to meet your price range if you goal is reliability without compromise. I bet NF has the lowest failure rate out there based on the comments of over a decade of reading threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
Well to give an update I ended up going with the NX8 4-32. I was able to play with a couple and I felt that it was better than my Mark 5 as far as turrets and feel go and the eye box issue wasnt near what some people have made it out to be. Never owned a NF before but I am excited to see how it does.
I also just got an email yesterday saying that my NEW Mark 5 is on the way but they didn't give me any info as to what was actually wrong when they notified me of it being replaced under warranty. I had the scope since they came out with the MOA version so 3 or 4 years. The scope was never abused, granted I shot a couple thousand rounds with it but I can't even recall dropping it or having any significant falls. Hopefully it was just a lemon and the next one lasts a little longer because i do love the optic overall and Leupold's customer service was great through that whole process.
I couldn't find a Burris on any shelf to look at, even though Camera Land has a pretty screaming deal on for the XTR 3 right now but I don't like buying things without putting hands them.

Ironic. You picked my current LR scope and my prior post didn’t even suggest it specifically. I am sure you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk