Newb from Kansas

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Live in Kansas and joined to learn all I can about some not so far away western big game hunting.

Will be doing my maiden voyage to hunt elk next Sept/October. (Yep another one of those guys!)

Got an elk101 subscription, gohunt, and a beginner elk call kit for Christmas. Been reading as much as I can find that relates to me. Lots of good info!

Trying to narrow down if my buddy and I want to try and get a general elk tag in MT for our first experience or try for an easier to draw tag in CO for bow or even first rifle season.

Up for any pointers into that decision for our first attempt.

Thanks!

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Get really good boots and have them fitted to you. I tend to eat a lot when hunting so I always bring more food. Train your butt off. Corey has a whole section in elk 101 about fitness and its actually pretty good. Also check out the WOD forum/page on here. Those guys in there are great and they also keep you motivated.

progpnw

FNG
As someone who moved to the pnw from the midwest, my best advice is to try to be in some kind of mountain shape. As a flatlander, the mountains wiped me out quick at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Aaronpaul14

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished up the elk101 workout module. Not a big fan of gyms but I think I found a great “training” area at the nearby lake. Going to utilize the dam to train hill climb/side hilling. There is also a 1 mile trail next to the archery range. Figure combining those up will be a good place to start.

I have been boot researching extensively. Hope to find a few nearby places to test some out in the near future.

progpnw

FNG
Definitely break the boots in well before your trip. Before I had any interest in hunting, I took a pair of almost brand new boots to the tetons for a week camping and hiking. My feet still haven’t forgotten what that was like.

progpnw

FNG
So would you say the elk101 seems worth it? I’ve been considering it but haven’t heard from anyone who actually used it. I know you haven’t had a chance to apply it yet but I’m curious how you feel about it.

OP
Aaronpaul14

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
So would you say the elk101 seems worth it? I’ve been considering it but haven’t heard from anyone who actually used it. I know you haven’t had a chance to apply it yet but I’m curious how you feel about it.

I think you could easily find all of the information in there from many different resources. What I think is worth the price is how it’s all compiled together. But like you said I haven’t put it to use and haven’t finished the whole course yet so time will tell. For my first time hunting elk it and gohunt seemed like a very good investment.

progpnw

FNG
I think you could easily find all of the information in there from many different resources. What I think is worth the price is how it’s all compiled together. But like you said I haven’t put it to use and haven’t finished the whole course yet so time will tell. For my first time hunting elk it and gohunt seemed like a very good investment.

That was what I assumed as far as a good pile of useful information. With how much fluff and bad info there is on the internet I can definitely see the value in having a lot of good info in one place. I may just take the jump and see what it’s all about. Thanks for the info!

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, best of luck with your upcoming affliction/ I mean addiction/ I mean adventure..... the prep work is part of the enjoyment

Rook-

FNG
Welcome to the forum. Went to HS and college in KS and have been in ID for the last decade plus. Put in the prep work