newb pack question

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
so i shot a small doe during our inline season here, i quartered and packed her out almost a mile mostly flat ground. My pack is a MR pintler. Needless to say i was glad once i hit the truck and was sore for a few days after. My question is this just how it goes with packing meat out or do you think another pack would handle the load better. It has me concerned as it wasn't a big deer and i was hurting the days after.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
I've got rhe same pack on the older guide light frame and rucked all summer long with it loaded down with 50-60 pounds of play sand. Never had an issue with being sore for days afterwards and I was terribly outta shape when I began. I'd say you have a pack fit problem or a fitness problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

cusecat04

FNG
+1
I have the Pintler as well.
Did you do a bunch of hiking with it to get the fit down?
Preseason work helped me with getting good at adjusting things to find the most comfortable ride.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
I used the pack some on some hunts but have never carried much weight in it. Strangely the sore is in my legs which I’m not sure is the pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the pack some on some hunts but have never carried much weight in it. Strangely the sore is in my legs which I’m not sure is the pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no pack will get you in shape putting it on, haha.... they aren't like superman's cape. MR makes a solid load hauler.... whether it fits you right is a whole different deal. you very possibly don't have it fit right to you, but sore legs is all you, not the pack. no matter the pack, your legs are still carrying the weight.

pack fit (as in fitted to you, and how the actual frame fits you when fitted) is huge for relative comfort, you need to make sure the pack is as well fitted to you as it can get, then the rest comes down to what frame will fit you best. there are some really great high end packs that just don't fit me well.... the same frame is the favorite of many.

while you were hauling weight, what types of discomfort were you experiencing? shoulder/neck pain? lower back/hip flexors? could be adjustments or it could be the overall fit of that frame.

i have been through a lot of packs the past few years, and just got rid of another mystery ranch, they are a solid bomb proof pack, but my EXO is more comfortable loaded for day hunting, 100+lbs and everything in between.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
shoulders while using it then thighs for a few days after.

Wassid82

WKR
If your shoulders were sore I would guess its a fit issue. It could be the load lifters or your waste belt was not seated correctly. The soreness in your legs might have been less if you practice carrying weight in your pack. Each fall/late summer I start packing around 50lb salt bags in my pack so that I get used to the load shifting around a bit and working out my core/legs with different muscles trying to balance the extra load. Might be the placebo effect....but it I still think it helps

Make sure the pack fits you right, I got my Mystery Ranch Metcalf from a Mystery Ranch dealer and they fit it to me, I have packed out whole deer and it’s never fun but the Mystery Ranch is definitely the best pack I’ve ever used. After packing out large loads you will almost surley be sore but your pack fitting correctly will make a huge difference.