Newb Question - Halter vs Get Down Rope

rayporter

WKR
my neighbor had a pull back brood mare that could throw a fit. one day he tied her to a pole and went to coffee with me.
an hour later he was asking for my tractor to drag her out of the barn to bury her.

I had another mare with a similar problem and bought a "Be Nice" halter. It provides some difficult pressure poits when they pull back. It took 10 years but she got over it.

I'm still using it but this one is a big mare and I haven't seen one for sale for some time. I might need a spare. I've tried a larriet around the chest and through the halter like I use in training ground tying. It hasn't worked yet. I'm open to suggestions.

rayporter

WKR
i used to show with a guy that tied his horse with a lariat around his tail. he ran it through the halter and usually through a loop on the saddle horn. that pony stood like a statue with the rope on his tail. eventually he could be tied with a halter-- but he still put a hay string around the tail, even though it probably was not needed.

i used to show with a guy that tied his horse with a lariat around his tail. he ran it through the halter and usually through a loop on the saddle horn. that pony stood like a statue with the rope on his tail. eventually he could be tied with a halter-- but he still put a hay string around the tail, even though it probably was not needed.
Logged in to say just that. Works on one that pulls back pretty good. Bowline around the chest through the halter works too. Horses that pull back can break their neck, never done it but try to learn from others mistakes.

I had another mare with a similar problem and bought a "Be Nice" halter. It provides some difficult pressure poits when they pull back. It took 10 years but she got over it.

I'm still using it but this one is a big mare and I haven't seen one for sale for some time. I might need a spare. I've tried a larriet around the chest and through the halter like I use in training ground tying. It hasn't worked yet. I'm open to suggestions.
lead through the halter around the tail works pretty good

Another way is with a really long lead rope not tied hard but just wrapped around the post and get them disengaging their hind quarters but they never get loose. Sorry for the poor explanation

rayporter

WKR
i know a guy that used one of these on a puller. when the horse hits the end it gives and he quits pulling. i made one out of an old chinch ring. i think most ponies will figure out then can keep pulling and get loose. at least mine have. and that includes the ones that are not pullers.

TE010196

We just use a truck tire tube until they figure things out. Cheap, portable enough to use anywhere (trees, posts, fence) and has enough give they don't get hurt/stuff doesn't break. For the special ones, they get tied up to post with old tires stacked up around it, it's like a padded room for the insane. They get to spend as much time tied up to that post as they need too. I have seen enough dead ones tied up laying next to trailers that I won't use a halter/rope that won't break/give, if needed.

For leaving a lead rope on one for a long time, the smart ones just learn how to run with their head tipped, so they don't step on it. Makes them fun to catch when you let them graze on a long line and they aren't ready to be done yet.

Babbs

FNG
I've gone both ways after training my horse buckaroo style. Now I use a halter under the bridle. The extra rope halter is a PITA. It's so much easier to put a standard halter under the bridle with a lead rope going to the horn. More secure too IMO. Use the lead rope when leading and to tie.
What is a PITA?