Newb stuck in So Cal

TheGDog

WKR
First... get you a map that shows which areas allow firearms and which do not. (You canget one of those for free at the station you first hit on Azusa Ave at the entry into the mountains where people buy those day-use tickets.
All along the mountain / NF regions that butt up against the cities, there is typically a so-many-miles archery only zone just to make sure idiots who don't know what's beyond their target don't kill anybody in the cities. Also, LA County = no pistols or rifles for rabbits/squirrels. So be aware of that.

Since you're there in Glendora... easy peasy... just go up GMR. It's thick, and steep... so each outing just pick a new ridge or draw to go down in and scout. You've got that water reservoir there nearby so you're obviously in a good area to be at. Just that the terrain can tire ya out something fierce though. Especially if you descend down to the waterline... then work back up, phew!

You'll need to get an Adventure Pass to hang on your rearview mirror so you can park on the side of the road up there anytime all year long. You can get them at like Big5 sporting goods.

You're lucky actually to live in that city. There are gates up in there in Azusa and Glendora that you *can* get access to and drive into. But, it's my understanding you have to fill out a paper in person at some office that's actually in... Glendora. And then the code they give you is apparently only good for 2 weeks though. So for the rest of us, living extensive distances away that is virtually no help. But for you, that could totally work in your favor, if that's how it works.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
my SoCal buddies have the best hunting life. they all hunt so close to home.

me, it is a trek.

AVK

FNG
we went shooting up in the rosamond area last weekend, hauled home 6 hefty bags of trash and a good 200 lbs of junk. Most of it was empty boxes, plastic cartridge holders,, improvised target stands, pieces of appliances, car parts etc.. Absolutely pisses me off the way people treat our lands. My kids get bummed when it's time to go because they know they're going to be picking up everyone else's shit.
Care to share where you set up to target shoot ? Was it BLM land ?