Newbie 1st Elk Rifle Idaho Hunt

hoytforlife

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

First I want to get the “are you serious” out of the way…..

I am a die hard archery only (not anymore) whitetail hunter and have been for the last 15 years. I was invited to try to put in for a OTC non-resident Bull Elk and Mule Deer rifle hunt for Idaho….as luck would have it, I was fortunate enough to be successful in an OTC Rifle Bull Elk hunt for Salmon Zone and a Mule Deer buck rifle hunt in Unit 28.

My hunting buddy said I should also “donate” $18 for the controlled hunt in an effort to increase the hunting opportunity at a Bull elk…..I listened and put in for controlled hunt in Unit 29/LEMHI area of Idaho, rifle Bull elk hunt 1-31 October….7.4% of drawing a tag.

Like I said “are you serious?” yes I was selected for a controlled rifle hunt and will hunt Unit 29 instead of Salmon. My first time ever putting in for any type of hunt.

I understand and have read tons of people who were not as fortunate. That IS NOT lost on me.

Im active duty Air Force (19 years) currently stationed in England….Im doing everything I can to “scout”….I am no way asking for help in the form of where I should start (won’t turn away the help either :) but I am seeking advice….I’ve read every post on this forum regarding that area but was hoping to receive any updates/feedback.

For those that have hunted this area, did you feel your overall experience was good or bad and why?

Number 1 thing I should do in order to be successful at one of the things listed below?

I’ve read on here there are a ton of private land hunters and wolves wont help a public land hunter like me.

BUT….here are my top 3 items that will classify a successful hunt for me since this is my first time ever hunting/living in the mountains and chasing Elk!

1. See a sunrise/sunset from the mountains
2. Prove to myself I properly prepared mentally/physically to last 15 days in the mountains
3. See an Elk

This forum has 1,000 of years of experience. I welcome the positive and negative feedback that shall follow.

you in advance.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Call or email Idaho Fish and Game for the Lemhi area and ask to talk to the game biologist for that unit. TELL them you’re active duty and in England... no doubt they will give you SOLID, reliable intel on migration during the dates you’ll be there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be aware that once season starts a lot of the elk in 29 go to private and don't leave it. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
hoytforlife

hoytforlife

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate that. Looking at OnC maps it does look like a ton of private!

Be aware that once season starts a lot of the elk in 29 go to private and don't leave it. Just a heads up.

Cows or bulls or both? I have archery hunted 29 but never saw them on private much. Is it weather related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
Contact Taxidermist and the game wardens in the area. I prefer the game wardens over the biologist, wardens are more up to date with movements than biologist.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cows or bulls or both? I have archery hunted 29 but never saw them on private much. Is it weather related?

Bows don't go "boom" either. It's a circus with pressure, and weather plays a role that time of year too. Easy to find the elk and hunters. Elk on private, hunters all sitting just outside of private glassing and waiting for them to step off onto public.

Bows don't go "boom" either. It's a circus with pressure, and weather plays a role that time of year too. Easy to find the elk and hunters. Elk on private, hunters all sitting just outside of private glassing and waiting for them to step off onto public.

Interesting. Is there a lot of pressure? Looks like tags are less than 200 for bulls. Just trying to get a read. Thanks for your input!

PRC_GUY

WKR

Be careful with muzzleloader “Boom”

sneaky

"DADDY"
May be 200 tags, but every guy with a tag will have people out glassing for him. Youth antlerless hunt going on as well, bird hunters, predator hunters. All of that is pressure that those animals have to deal with

Fullfan

WKR
Here is a Sept Salmon zone sunrise.

Attachments

• 10839C1D-9909-449F-A99F-8BCC0C3673D1.jpeg
    10839C1D-9909-449F-A99F-8BCC0C3673D1.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 30
Hello,

First I want to get the “are you serious” out of the way…..

I am a die hard archery only (not anymore) whitetail hunter and have been for the last 15 years. I was invited to try to put in for a OTC non-resident Bull Elk and Mule Deer rifle hunt for Idaho….as luck would have it, I was fortunate enough to be successful in an OTC Rifle Bull Elk hunt for Salmon Zone and a Mule Deer buck rifle hunt in Unit 28.

My hunting buddy said I should also “donate” $18 for the controlled hunt in an effort to increase the hunting opportunity at a Bull elk…..I listened and put in for controlled hunt in Unit 29/LEMHI area of Idaho, rifle Bull elk hunt 1-31 October….7.4% of drawing a tag.

Like I said “are you serious?” yes I was selected for a controlled rifle hunt and will hunt Unit 29 instead of Salmon. My first time ever putting in for any type of hunt.

I understand and have read tons of people who were not as fortunate. That IS NOT lost on me.

Im active duty Air Force (19 years) currently stationed in England….Im doing everything I can to “scout”….I am no way asking for help in the form of where I should start (won’t turn away the help either :) but I am seeking advice….I’ve read every post on this forum regarding that area but was hoping to receive any updates/feedback.

For those that have hunted this area, did you feel your overall experience was good or bad and why?

Number 1 thing I should do in order to be successful at one of the things listed below?

I’ve read on here there are a ton of private land hunters and wolves wont help a public land hunter like me.

BUT….here are my top 3 items that will classify a successful hunt for me since this is my first time ever hunting/living in the mountains and chasing Elk!

1. See a sunrise/sunset from the mountains
2. Prove to myself I properly prepared mentally/physically to last 15 days in the mountains
3. See an Elk

This forum has 1,000 of years of experience. I welcome the positive and negative feedback that shall follow.

you in advance.
How did the hunt go?