Newbie advice

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
F8D3B874-E469-488B-B797-E476BD1DC5BF.jpegI was able to pick up what I believe and what homework I’ve done to be a pretty decent rifle for an extremely cheap price and while I’m not new to shooting by any means at all and have some general knowledge. I’m new to long distance shooting and wasn’t sure if anyone on here had any podcasts, books, specific forums to look into to get more educated on this topic. I realize it may be a rabbit hole, as I’m a big bow hunter/ archery enthusiast and realize it’s never ending when it comes to some things and more or less looking to pick up a new hobby as I’ve always been interested in the idea and education I’m assuming it takes to be able to shoot distance. The rig itself is a Remington 700vtr .308 on a McMillan a5 with what I believe is leupold mark 4 lr/t 3.5x10x40mm.

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
Stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist A5. Good stock for the money. Magpul has a DVD called art of the Precision rifle. YouTube is a great source: Check out Panhandle Precision, videos by Bryan Litz, Precision rifle blog, long range shooters of Utah, rifles only, SHLowlight, ShawnC338, and there’s others if you dig into them.

JMDavies

WKR
I got in to the LR hobby about 5 years ago and learned that everyone has an opinion and is never wrong. That showed me that everyone has the same end goal, but different different paths on how to get there. Some people think that having the best equipment needed to happen before you get going, others believe you start with smaller calibers and find that guns capabilities. My advise, find a LR mentor online that has a similar philosophy as yours. stick with that person like Daniel Son and Miyagi.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the insight gents. Greatly appreciated.

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
I got in to the LR hobby about 5 years ago and learned that everyone has an opinion and is never wrong. That showed me that everyone has the same end goal, but different different paths on how to get there. Some people think that having the best equipment needed to happen before you get going, others believe you start with smaller calibers and find that guns capabilities. My advise, find a LR mentor online that has a similar philosophy as yours. stick with that person like Daniel Son and Miyagi.

I have found this to be the case. A lot of different opinions and I've met a lot of gear/caliber snobs. For example, I get a lot of turned up noses because I shoot a 260 instead of a 6.5 creed, 6.5x47, etc. Some people will frown on your 308 since it's not the latest and greatest ballistic performer. Granted, it's not as flat as the 6/6.5mm stuff but it's been used as sniper round in combat (live's depending on it) for several decades and has benefits like excellent barrel life. Kind of disappointing that shooters sometimes do more bashing/cutting down than just helping folks along without investing egos. Just stay at it and don't let any of the bad eggs spoil it for you.

Rant over.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I have found this to be the case. A lot of different opinions and I've met a lot of gear/caliber snobs. For example, I get a lot of turned up noses because I shoot a 260 instead of a 6.5 creed, 6.5x47, etc. Some people will frown on your 308 since it's not the latest and greatest ballistic performer. Granted, it's not as flat as the 6/6.5mm stuff but it's been used as sniper round in combat (live's depending on it) for several decades and has benefits like excellent barrel life. Kind of disappointing that shooters sometimes do more bashing/cutting down than just helping folks along without investing egos. Just stay at it and don't let any of the bad eggs spoil it for you.

Rant over.

Funny you say that. I’ve never been a big gun guy, but knew enough growing up and being in the military I knew the .308 was a common round and something to me that has been proven to work in various environments/situations via military/law enforcement. I picked this up from a coworker for a small fraction of what the total cost of the rifle is and just couldn’t pass it up. I originally wanted something to hunt with and at the same time something to get into distance shooting with and figured it was a do all caliber essentially. After showing interest in it/purchasing it a handful of guys essentially like you said scoffed at the idea of buying a .308 for antelope/deer/elk rifle and something I can take out in my downtime and send some rounds down range and instead preached about the ever so popular round as of late the 6.5. Unfortunately, the egos seem to be in every hobby/sport, etc. and generally result in negativity.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I have a good friend that runs a .308 shorty similar to yours and he stretches it out with no problem at all. We shoot to 1K frequntly... That steel sings with every hit. And more importantly, he has a ton of success in the field hunting. I have been jealous of that short barrel a number of times when he easily dips under branches and I get snagged. That rifle looks $$, go and shoot that barrel out!

16Bore

WKR
You can skullfuck it to death or simply buy a big pile of ammo and shoot.

LaHunter

WKR
Stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist A5. Good stock for the money. Magpul has a DVD called art of the Precision rifle. YouTube is a great source: Check out Panhandle Precision, videos by Bryan Litz, Precision rifle blog, long range shooters of Utah, rifles only, SHLowlight, ShawnC338, and there’s others if you dig into them.

Good info here. Snipers Hide youtube videos are very educational regarding shooting technique. Lot's of resources on youtube about the proper fundamentals. This will shorten your learning curve a lot. Your rifle setup is likely plenty to get started. Good luck

16Bore

WKR
Famous guy used to preach this:

Body Alignment – Natural Point Of Aim
Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Eye Relief – Spot Weld – No Shadow
Stare At Crosshairs – Target Is A Blur
Slow Steady Pressure On Trigger To Rear
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

Hunter270

FNG
Disclaimer: I’m pretty new to long range shooting as well so take it for what’s its worth.

I have found my .308 to be very capable. I practiced out to about 700 yards this year and felt very comfortable. I shoot a 20” barrel, launching 178 grain Hornady eldx bullets. They did a great job on my deer and elk this year. Deer was one shot at 350. Elk was dead after first shot, but I put one more in him at 250. Definitely not long shots, but the caliber is capable enough. It’s also very affordable to get lots of practice with, which is likely more important that fancy new calibers. Just my two cents. Have fun with it!

Attachments

• 26500C80-8FDE-4E55-82A7-79815A304466.jpeg
    26500C80-8FDE-4E55-82A7-79815A304466.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 17
  • A94A8D8A-EC94-43C1-985B-6F9C18E9FA5B.jpeg
    A94A8D8A-EC94-43C1-985B-6F9C18E9FA5B.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 17