Newbie arrow setup

Gobbler36

WKR
I am starting out with a 60# recurve
I do all my own tuning with compound but wondering what factors I need to consider with arrow builds with traditional. I will also only be shooting wooden shafts from surewood shafts. With wood is it better to error on the stiff side as with compound. Also where is a good place to buy wood arrow components? What kind of finish do you need to use on the shaft?

nastynick

FNG
Ben is spot on about 60# being a lot for anyone to start out.

As for arrows, the number of factors that goes into it is tough to discuss in a forum. Things such as draw length, shelf cut to center, release, anticipated point weight, etc all factor in when building arrows.

When tuning for trad you only have a couple options on the bow like brace and nock heights as well as potential shelf modifications. Therefore your arrow needs to be what is tailored to the bow, generally through a lot of trial and error.

Try looking for 3Rivers Archery tuning guides as well as other sites that provide a tuning process. Generally, the best thing to do would be to use an arrow spine chart to try and match the wood spine that makes sense for your bow/draw length/point weight and then order a few arrows/shafts for spines on that ideal, as well as above and below.

Wood arrows just add a little bit more to the tuning process as well as there is less consistency in wood vs carbon/aluminum. This means that you might order a dozen arrows and only 8 are straight and have the same spine. It’s just one more factor. Obviously it’s the way a trad bow should be shot, but it’s something to be aware of.

LostArra

WKR
Wooden shaft consistency in spine and straightness will vary with the seller. Surewood is good and I’ve had outstanding service from Lost Nation for cedar shafting regarding spine, straightness and weight.

Determining the right wood arrow requires a little voodoo and a good selection of shafts. I would ask for a test kit which most quality suppliers will sell.

As others have mentioned, I would suggest starting with a lighter bow and carbon arrows.

Last edited:
If you're just starting in trad, like already mentioned I'd start with a bow that's 40-45 lbs. And if you're not dead set on wood, carbon would be a little bit better choice when you're learning. They're tougher generally speaking and you will miss a lot when you first start and those wood arrows will break easier. Carbon is a little easier to tune also.

GLB

WKR
I would agree that 60#is a lot of bow to start with. You can kill plenty with a 45-50# bow. Spine for a recurve based on a 28" arrow you should probably start at about 10# over your actual draw weight. A lot of variables with this but should be close.