Newbie Bow Quality Question

bisblue

WKR
Hey Folks,
I'm sure this won't be a straight forward question, but as a brand new trad guy 4 months, I was wondering what the difference is in a starter bow, and a high end bow. I have a black hunter from twig archery with 40# and 50# limbs. Just curious if going to something like a used stalker stickbow is another world of difference in terms of accuracy, or just smoother in all ways...

I shot compound for 5 years and could generally keep up or outshoot folks with my 500 dollar quest and decent used sight, rest, stabilizer shooting the 3D course with friends who had fancy hoyt's.... garmin sights etc... I was fairly successful hunting with my compound and rarely shot over 35 yards.

Just wondering if I want to stick with traditional how soon I should budget for a better bow... I'm currently buying more pack llamas, so I have a less than robust fun budget remaining. I've debated selling my compound, but I'm not sure I'm willing to fully commit. We will see how my Javelina hunt goes next week with the stick bow.

Thanks, picture for attention.

Attachments

• 20200925_114616.jpg
    20200925_114616.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 22

Beendare

WKR
I'm an ILF guy....

I can tell you there is some real crap Chinese limbs on EBay and such. I wouldn't buy a $60 no name limb....some of it is junk.

On the other hand, I've had some amazing performance with relatively cheap Name Brand ILF limbs as low as the $80-$100 range....and some of the $200 limbs I've shot are better than any custom bowyer makes.

I haven't shot any of the very cheap off brand ILF risers.

_____

Your already hooked past the barb. Just go on and hang up the wheels. Fill up the new stable with sticks.

Some of the cheaper bows shoot just as good and perform just as well. The little garage bowyer won’t have the reputation and demand as the higher end bowyers. With today’s hybrids you won’t be able to tell the difference between 182 FPS (600$ bow) and 186 FPS (1300$ bow). The difference will be in the esthetics and possibly the fit and finish.

I started like you. We probably all did. Then the stable kept growing. Most have a test run program. Call and talk to the bowyers. Order or buy now so you’ll have it in time for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Your already hooked past the barb. Just go on and hang up the wheels. Fill up the new stable with sticks.

Some of the cheaper bows shoot just as good and perform just as well. The little garage bowyer won’t have the reputation and demand as the higher end bowyers. With today’s hybrids you won’t be able to tell the difference between 182 FPS (600$ bow) and 186 FPS (1300$ bow). The difference will be in the esthetics and possibly the fit and finish.

I started like you. We probably all did. Then the stable kept growing. Most have a test run program. Call and talk to the bowyers. Order or buy now so you’ll have it in time for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm definitely not an aesthetics guy, I only care about what works. I think I really need to find somewhere where I can just shoot quite a few and see if anything really jumps out.

My biggest concern with jumping in is I have time to shoot, but often have to travel in my western state to hunt for multiple days, so I worry about filling the freezer with often very limited windows to pursue game.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Thanks, I'm definitely not an aesthetics guy, I only care about what works. I think I really need to find somewhere where I can just shoot quite a few and see if anything really jumps out.

My biggest concern with jumping in is I have time to shoot, but often have to travel in my western state to hunt for multiple days, so I worry about filling the freezer with often very limited windows to pursue game.
Yeah, I went from killing stuff on every single trip with a compound....to about every other trip hunting the west with a recurve.

I spot and stalk hogs and getting that last 20 yds you need with a stick bow vs a compound converts to less kills for sure. Same with Deer hunting. Elk, Ive been able to get close shots...but the solo calling and drawing has been a challenge without a decoy.

We have to think differently than when hunting with a compound and plan for closer shots.

The best analogy is when the rifle guys are 200 yds its dead...but for compound guys the hunt is just beginning. Its the same going from compound to Trad.....you need that extra 20 or 30 yds. The whitetail guys will think us western guys are nuts as its an easier transition for them....s most of their shots are pretty close anyway. Get them out there on Mule deer in wide open sage brush and see what they say- grin.

I've changed my thinking a lot in hunting with my recurve....but thats part of why I like it..

Sheesh, ALL THAT^....to say don't sell your compound- grin

In regards to expensive vs cheap bows....it really is the Indian....I've seen it time and again. A guy I met in NM on a hunt was fairly new to recurves and shooting a 40 yr old hand me down 70# Bear bow. He happened to be a lefty...so I could shoot it.

He was a slight guy....maybe 140# soaking wet. He wasn't even getting that bow to full draw even though in 50 years it had lost some poundage. He got a little miffed when I could shoot his bow better than he....only because I paused to aim at full draw.

I do think there is some equipment that isn't expensive you can gt great performance from in the Trad world- like in my post earlier....but these customs come up for sale used regularly on AT and you can get them for about 50-60% of new if thats the route you want to go. I would keep at it for awhile...go to the range and shoot other guys bows to get a feel...then upgrade when you know more about what you want.

______

Last edited:
As a traditional shooter since I started bow hunting in the early 70’s I can absolutely agree with the above posters comments.

I’ve owned and/or shot most of the recurves in the market and a lot of the long bows. Trad bows are really an extension of the shooter and You should try as many bows as possible and stick with the ones that you just can feel are the right ones. It can bite you sometimes as pricey bows can sometimes have a magical feel.

Keep your eyes open and attend some traditional rendezvous events.
A great way to see and touch a lot of brands.

Check out the galaxy salvo 17" ilf riser that lancaster is selling. Pair it with the black max 2.0 wood carbon tradtech limbs. By far the best bang for your buck ilf setup I have seen. It's good quality components.

$180 for the riser
$250 limbs

Down the road you can swap the limbs or riser for something else once you have a better feel for everything, and not going to loose much selling them.

Last edited:
OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Check out the galaxy salvo 17" ilf riser that lancaster is selling. Pair it with the black max 2.0 wood carbon tradtech limbs. By far the best bang for your buck ilf setup I have seen. It's good quality components.

$180 for the riser
$250 limbs

Down the road you can swap the limbs or riser for something else once you have a better feel for everything, and not going to loose much selling them.
Hadn't thought about fully going to the dark side yet, but perhaps....

Hadn't thought about fully going to the dark side yet, but perhaps....

I wouldn't call going ilf the dark side. When you are new to it there's a lot of things you don't know yet. It will allow you to play with tiller, limb lengths, weights, and grips. You buy something else and a lot of times you are stuck with it.

Once you get some things figured out, then you can order or search for the bow you want.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
I wouldn't call going ilf the dark side. When you are new to it there's a lot of things you don't know yet. It will allow you to play with tiller, limb lengths, weights, and grips. You buy something else and a lot of times you are stuck with it.

Once you get some things figured out, then you can order or search for the bow you want.
No judgement, just some sarcasm.
Seems like all subgroups climbers, mountain bikers, etc always find the line of what's true and what's not. It's usually the choice they already like....

No judgement, just some sarcasm.
Seems like all subgroups climbers, mountain bikers, etc always find the line of what's true and what's not. It's usually the choice they already like....

Not enough trad shooters to be picky about what you use.

Unless they insist on shooting a Bear. Normally those guys don't get to full draw tho.

MrTim

FNG
I think you started in a good spot with the black hunter. I have one as a backup in lighter poundage for late winter stand hunting. It has a great feel to it, superior to the Samick sage type bows(IMHO). If you are shooting it well, I would spend the money on hunting. A higher end custom bow will find its way into your hands soon enough.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
I think you started in a good spot with the black hunter. I have one as a backup in lighter poundage for late winter stand hunting. It has a great feel to it, superior to the Samick sage type bows(IMHO). If you are shooting it well, I would spend the money on hunting. A higher end custom bow will find its way into your hands soon enough.
Can't say shooting it well, but it's probably not the bows problem

PHo

WKR
I absolutely believe that most higher end bows will offer more consistency, i.e. the riser will flex the same amount and in the same direction, the limbs will shoot with the same reaction every shot, etc. thereby your accuracy will increase. Lower quality bows won’t do that as well. BUT, the question is do you shoot well enough to be able to see the difference? If you give an inconsistent shooter a top quality bow, they’ll still continue to shoot inconsistently. My rule of thumb is if I don’t see a difference in shootability (accuracy) when I pick up a new bow then I don’t buy it...but of course I usually always find a different reason to buy it anyhow. Bow shopping is fun, enjoy the process.

Deerscat

FNG
Custom or more of the top end bow manufacturers bows have a smoother draw. You need to find a shop that has different brands and also different lengths and different mass weight to them. I went from a Samik sage, then to a 58” long bow that had little mass weight. I then learned that for me, that bow was stacking and was too light. Them I moved to a heavier bow that had a riser cut past center and a low wrist grip like a compound.

if you can’t find a shop nearby find out if some bowyers will let you do a demo program like Black Widow.

It can be frustrating to find one that fits you well.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Custom or more of the top end bow manufacturers bows have a smoother draw. You need to find a shop that has different brands and also different lengths and different mass weight to them. I went from a Samik sage, then to a 58” long bow that had little mass weight. I then learned that for me, that bow was stacking and was too light. Them I moved to a heavier bow that had a riser cut past center and a low wrist grip like a compound.

if you can’t find a shop nearby find out if some bowyers will let you do a demo program like Black Widow.

It can be frustrating to find one that fits you well.
I do like a low wrist on my compound. I'm debating looking for a used ilf set up

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR

Well, I might see if there is an inexpensive ILF someone has laying around... My interest in peaked.

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
A big plus to ilf is swapping grips. In all my research it seems like grip is what affects folks love for certain bows.more than anything else...since it's your only contact with it I guess it makes sense. Then if(when) you get a hankerin for a custom stalker, have the grip copied.