Newbie Bow Quality Question

Felix40

WKR
My take is a little different than everyone else. There’s nothing wrong with that bow you are shooting. Unless you actually shoot something else and find that it fits you better, I would just keep what you have.

One thing you can do to really make a difference in how it shoots is to put a better string on it. Order a custom Flemish twist string and you will have a very low cost improvement to your bow.

If the grip doesn’t feel quite right, don’t be afraid to make it better. Sure you can change out grips on an ILF but you will never get the customization potential of the bow you already have. If you do a good job on it I doubt it would cause the bow to be worth any less than it already is.

Then you can start saving your money and trying to shoot some different bows to see what you like.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
My take is a little different than everyone else. There’s nothing wrong with that bow you are shooting. Unless you actually shoot something else and find that it fits you better, I would just keep what you have.

One thing you can do to really make a difference in how it shoots is to put a better string on it. Order a custom Flemish twist string and you will have a very low cost improvement to your bow.

If the grip doesn’t feel quite right, don’t be afraid to make it better. Sure you can change out grips on an ILF but you will never get the customization potential of the bow you already have. If you do a good job on it I doubt it would cause the bow to be worth any less than it already is.

Then you can start saving your money and trying to shoot some different bows to see what you like.
Thanks Felix,
I'm mostly thinking about trying to cheap basic ILF setup just to try something different see how it feels... Seems like buying one used I can turn around and sell it for close to what I buy it for if I don't like it.
I'll definitely check out the better string anywhere you'd recommend finding one?

Felix40

WKR
I don’t know because I make my own but I hear that everyone likes mountain muffler. I’m sure there are endless options that would be nice.

Beendare

WKR
I would agree with Felix on the string especially if you’re using one of those big fat generic strings. I Make my own continuous loop12 strand strings and for sure a good string makes a difference.

I took some sandpaper to my Dryad ILF riser to improve the grip then matched their finish and I like it much better now. It can be done. I called dryad before hand and of course they told me it would be out of warranty if I did that but I was careful not to take any material out of the throat and weaken the riser.

Im partial to ILF as my previous comments indicated for the simple reason I have shot name brand sub$200 limbs on a cheap riser and that combination shot better along with better arrow performance than any other custom bow I’ve tried.

Tradd is different things to everyone, The primitive stuff did not interest me, in my case I was looking for better arrow performance For quick kills. Different strokes