Newbie Elk Pack Advice

Hplayer13

FNG
Going to be as mobile as possible and need advice on my first elk hunt. Want to try and find a good used pack, I’ll be just setting up nightly camp as we go so I won’t have a day pack and a frame pack I want all in one. Any suggestions on brand to look for? Want the most comfortable that isn’t outrageous expensive

Rob5589

WKR
Exo 3500 or 4800. Check out the classifieds. Just know the quality packs aren't cheap, even used.

Put another $75 on it and you will find a quality pack and bag now. Might get it for that if you are lucky and find the right deal. Just know hunting season is coming. And you’d be middle of July getting a new one if you ordered now. So, don’t let $75 cost you a good deal.

Reality says you are going to use it over and over. So buy once. Good luck. And, God Bless

I'm a big fan of Mystery Ranch packs. I have the Beartooth 80 and pop-up 28. I think Scheels is having a good fathers day special, might be worth a look. Then again I've never heard anything bad about Exo.

Having done a military/hiking bag, then ‘upgraded’ to a Kuiu bag, and now owning two stone glaciers bags (a heavily used one and a lightly used one from the classifieds here), I wish I would’ve just ordered a new frame and dry bag from stone glacier from the begining. I could’ve bought the bag the next year and still been money ahead. I recommend the x-curve. If you can get an exo for a good deal they’re good bags as well. Stone glacier and exo are a step up from mystery ranch in my research, but they also make a good bag and you can find good deals on them from places like Camofire and black ovis

Superdoo

WKR
Having done a military/hiking bag, then ‘upgraded’ to a Kuiu bag, and now owning two stone glaciers bags (a heavily used one and a lightly used one from the classifieds here), I wish I would’ve just ordered a new frame and dry bag from stone glacier from the begining. I could’ve bought the bag the next year and still been money ahead. I recommend the x-curve. If you can get an exo for a good deal they’re good bags as well. Stone glacier and exo are a step up from mystery ranch in my research, but they also make a good bag and you can find good deals on them from places like Camofire and black ovis
Buying a frame first and then adding a bag is a great way to go. Much lower upfront cost and if it doesn’t fit you right in the end you can sell it fairly easily

OP
H

Hplayer13

FNG
Ok so I don’t completely understand the difference in packs. Day pack, frame pack, etc... since we won’t have a base camp I want a one in all pack. Sorry for the rookie teaching lesson haha

Superdoo

WKR
You want an external frame pack. If you go with a frame from Seek Outside or Kifaru you can easily attach any bag you want pretty easily to the frame. Not sure about Exo on that.

Ok so I don’t completely understand the difference in packs. Day pack, frame pack, etc... since we won’t have a base camp I want a one in all pack. Sorry for the rookie teaching lesson haha
All of the packs that have been mentioned on this thread I believe are external frame packs (generally what is most popular for hunting). The frames are independent of the pack themselves. My recommendation was for this
You can fit your stuff in a dry bag or an old schoolbag and strap it to the frame. It's not ideal but it gives you a great place to start, because you can buy any one of the bags they make when you can afford to upgrade. For bag sizing on a multi day trip, I've done a 1850 cu inch for a few days with stuff affixed to the outside of it. I'd recommend something in the 3,000 cu inch range as minimum though.

Since it's your first hunt like this I'd also like to point out that it's more important to go than to have the best backpack. I wouldn't be afraid to carry a well made hiking bag ( just be aware of how you need to haul out the meat). I've found stubbornness will overcome some bad equipment (there are plenty of guys elk hunting with cheap cabelas bags and making it happen). I say that to say I'd spend money on a good sleep system before I splurged on a top of the line backpack.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my setup and can me as minimalist as you want or load as much shit you can carry....Kifaru frame with cargo net...throw all your camp/kill kit stuff inside your dry bag and put inside the net...then with a guide lid strapped to the front I will put my first aide kit, electronics, and food. If you look on the classifieds you will find something. Another great thing about quality packs like kifaru, Exo, MR they have great resale value if you take care kf your shit.5781D8A7-2805-48D4-88ED-1CE0D8EC7A8A.jpeg5781D8A7-2805-48D4-88ED-1CE0D8EC7A8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 1756DE22-5C62-4F31-A871-9F946F3C25C1.jpeg
    1756DE22-5C62-4F31-A871-9F946F3C25C1.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 26
I’ve got a Kifaru cargo net. If you buy a Kifaru frame, I’ll give it to you. It will function as the above poster uses it. Pick up a bladder hanger from stone glacier to accommodate day hunting out of it. It’s a goof Proof system that will do what you want. If you want, I’ll let you borrow my bladder hanger. I want it back after this season though.

I’m not trying to pressure you in anyway. But, no one has mentioned the pink elephant in the room. Which is Kifaru. Why is beyond me. its a company that should be considered since they paved the road for these kind of modular systems. They aren’t any more expensive or heavier either.

if you choose to buy one, get a hold of me and I’ll send the net to keep, and the bladder hanger to use for this year. Good luck and God Bless

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Kifaru cargo net. If you buy a Kifaru frame, I’ll give it to you. It will function as the above poster uses it. Pick up a bladder hanger from stone glacier to accommodate day hunting out of it. It’s a goof Proof system that will do what you want. If you want, I’ll let you borrow my bladder hanger. I want it back after this season though.

I’m not trying to pressure you in anyway. But, no one has mentioned the pink elephant in the room. Which is Kifaru. Why is beyond me. its a company that should be considered since they paved the road for these kind of modular systems. They aren’t any more expensive or heavier either.

if you choose to buy one, get a hold of me and I’ll send the net to keep, and the bladder hanger to use for this year. Good luck and God Bless
This guy is a flipping stud and I would take him up on this offer haha. I messed up and bought a lower quality pack for $200+ to turn around and upgrade the following year. Good pack, boots, and sleep system everything else could be pieced together year to year and hunt to hunt.

OP
H

Hplayer13

FNG
Stick with MR and you can have any pack you want for that price. Used or new.
MR? My plan is to do multi day trips, but I’m trying to understand the difference between the external and internal frame. Why do people not like internal?

OP
H

Hplayer13

FNG

That’s unbelievable, I still am too new to send a PM but if you get time send me one and I can respond. You guys are unreal on here