Newbie Elk Pack Advice

HNTR918

WKR
MR = Mystery Ranch.

OldGrayJB

WKR
MR? My plan is to do multi day trips, but I’m trying to understand the difference between the external and internal frame. Why do people not like internal?
It's nice to be able to separate the bag from the frame for a number of reasons: washing the bag, carrying elk quarters strapped between the bag and the frame, swapping bags on the same frame for shorter or longer trips.

The modern packs from companies like Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, and EXO Mtn gear, are different from old external packs because the frame isn't a metal tube that you can see outlining the frame. It's built in, but not considered internal because you can take the bag off.

Also, Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

aion2come

WKR
I should have a Kifaru Hunter Duplex and large DIY bag on the forums later today. Don't have a final price, but should be in the ballpark for you.

tjihrig

FNG
Kifaru is a fantastic rig. I don’t have one but I’ve been to their shop in Denver. I asked the guy where they make their bags and he opened the door behind him. A bunch of ladies sewing in a room. That alone tells me all I need to know about Kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Buy a new frame from kifaru or SG. They will both work with you on fit and if you don’t like it you can get your money back.

Put a dry bag with camp and kill kit on the frame and you can add a lid if needed. Next year, buy a bag.

I wish someone had told me that before I wasted money on subpar packs.

Just google Aron Snyder’s cell phone number and give him a call. He posts it all over the Internet. He’s Kifaru’s CEO and he will get you what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raberd14

FNG
Don't be afraid to buy a super cheap Ebay pack, or borrowing a pack for your 1st trip. Rather than dropping hundreds of dollars on something and then not liking the backpack hunting style do it cheap the 1st time. Fall in love; then spend the coin. I borrowed back packs the 1st couple trips then got addicted to it before I started spending major cash. Just an idea... Good luck this fall.

I sent you a pm but maybe you can’t get them. I have a Kifaru set ready to go if you are interested. However, in interest of fairness you may want to check out drop.com and look to see if any seek outside packs on up. Pack and sleeping bags will drive you nuts.

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
Newb elk hunter here as well trying to figure out this pack situation. Good questions!

rkramer

FNG
You can drop a lot of coin on a SG, exo, kifaru, etc. however, kuiu are quality packs and they usually run a sale or two between now and the season, plus free shipping on your first purchase. The savings really adds up when buying all the pieces. Plus they might even have their older models for sale still.