Newbie from AZ

C-Dice

FNG
Hello Y’all! I’m brand new to all of this, got my first hunt ever coming up, Archery Javelina in January. I have no idea what I’m doing except for working the bow and being savvy in the wilderness, but I’m determined to get at it no matter what after all this work I’ve been putting into the bow. I’m glad to he here and hopeful to learn from all your wisdom and experience in the wild!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Blady

FNG
Hello Y’all! I’m brand new to all of this, got my first hunt ever coming up, Archery Javelina in January. I have no idea what I’m doing except for working the bow and being savvy in the wilderness, but I’m determined to get at it no matter what after all this work I’ve been putting into the bow. I’m glad to he here and hopeful to learn from all your wisdom and experience in the wild!
Welcome Aboard

OP
C-Dice

C-Dice

FNG
Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Has anyone hunted javelina in unit 23? Gonna go scout tomorrow but will take any tips you may have. It’s a little intimidating being a first timer with no guide 😂

BBob

WKR
Has anyone hunted javelina in unit 23? Gonna go scout tomorrow but will take any tips you may have.
If you've never hunted pigs before I'd suggest just going for a hike. Walk the bottoms, the sides of the hills and the tops. Just cover everywhere and look for what they're feeding on. You'll find the "diggings" around what they're rooting up and eating. They'll dig under the pears, they'll eat the center out of the pincushions, they'll dig under the shin dagger, they'll eat the base of shin dagger leaves (the deer will too), they'll root around to eat the tiny onion like bulbs and leave the holes, etc... They love Filaree if it's sprouted. Glass everywhere. Just go and learn the country. You'll see what they are feeding on and then you'll have a better idea on where and what to focus on during glassing sessions later.

And if you find shin dagger with all of the leaves removed and the heart just gone it was pigs.

Oh, and listen. They are quite vocal at times especially while up feeding. They'll often squabble amongst themselves and you'll hear them. I don't know how many times I've been glassing for long periods without seeing them only to hear them and then find them.

Last edited:
OP
C-Dice

C-Dice

FNG
If you've never hunted pigs before I'd suggest just going for a hike. Walk the bottoms, the sides of the hills and the tops. Just cover everywhere and look for what they're feeding on. You'll find the "diggings" around what they're rooting up and eating. They'll did under the pears, they'll eat the center out of the pincushions, they'll dig under the shin dagger, they'll eat the base of shin dagger leaves (the deer will too), they'll root around to eat the tiny onion like bulbs and leave the holes, etc... They love Filaree if it's sprouted. Glass everywhere. Just go and learn the country. You'll see what they are feeding on and then you'll have a better idea on where and what to focus on during glassing sessions later.
Thank you SO MUCH! This is what I’m gonna do. I got binoculars and a range finder for Christmas so I’m gonna start tomorrow.