Newbie needs help

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Me and two buddies are going to be hunting elk in Idaho the first two weeks of September. Being that we’re out of staters, we had to buy a combo hunting and fishing license so I was going to pack in my fly pole. BUT my question is, what kind of flies should I be taking? I’ve never fished out west so this is a whole new ball game for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Depends on where you're fishing, as in region. But I would bring terrestrial and dry patterns (small and mid sized 14-20), and your favorite streamers. Throwing meat will work great in bigger water in September.

Smaller waters, terrestrial patterns should slay.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, I’ll add that we’ll be in the pioneer zone. Unit 36a mainly

Flip over rocks along he shoreline and match as closely as
you can to that pattern.Also check the grass and shrubs on
the bank,and try to match accordingly.Hopefully not Ticks and Misquitos.
Have fun ...Give Em' Hell! :cool:

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Elk Hair Caddis and Royal Wulff are usually good, all-around patterns for new waters. Bring a few other patterns you like but, try those first. Hoppers and Spruce Moth patterns will work as well in Sept. Fly fishing, I'm only on top with dries. I figure if you want to fish sub-surface, go get a worm and a bobber or, a spinning rig and a Mepps. Either of those will catch them anywhere.

Flies that will work for the Big Wood, Salmon, Lost, Pashimeroi, and Lemhi Rivers: Surface- yellow/orange stimulator, hoppers, caddis(elk hair and October), wolfs, midges. Underneath-any nymph you can toss without an indicator, a big black stonefly will almost always get a bump on the rod.

Flies that will work for the Big Wood, Salmon, Lost, Pashimeroi, and Lemhi Rivers: Surface- yellow/orange stimulator, hoppers, caddis(elk hair and October), wolfs, midges. Underneath-any nymph you can toss without an indicator, a big black stonefly will almost always get a bump on the rod.

Solid advice for these parts! Good Luck, that unit can be a blast

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Solid advice for these parts! Good Luck, that unit can be a blast

That’s what I’m hoping for! It’ll be my first time out west in general so I can’t explain how excited I am