Newbie questions about packing out meat

TheGDog

WKR
The few packouts I've been lucky enough to do so far. They've been about 5 - 6 mi each way... and I've elected to leave the tent and sleeping bag and few other things behind when packing out the meat to keep weight down.... then make another trip to come back and get them same day... after eating/drinking/resting a bit.

I always do a quick sponge bath type of deal with regular tap water I've brought when I get back to the car for the last time. Doesn't matter what time of night it is. Even if it's middle of night and cold... it feels good and goes a long way at getting the heat out and calming down inflammation, plus that way you're not sweaty/itchy on the long drive home.

Sometimes... whether packing out or not... you may find it necessary for safety to take a quick 15min nap once you're finally back and in the car and ready to leave. It's better when you're totally exhausted to give your body that quick nap... then be stupid and try to drive outta the mountains when you're all dangerously sleepy/exhausted.

def90

WKR
Meateater had a podcast recently on meat handling. The meat “expert” said you will have more tender meat if you age it on the bone Or at least leave it on the bone until after the rigor process ends as the muscle tissue wants to contract as it goes through rigor and the muscle attached to bones contracts less.