Newbie questions about packing out meat

El Coyote

FNG
Ok this is coming from an eastern white tail guy who is used to loading up the pickup truck. I'm in the west now and about to do my first mule deer hunt(s). Military guy who has buddies in NV and CA and got OTC tags and will at least have some help from experienced guys.

First off, bone in or boned out? Am I right in assuming that one person could pack out an entire boned out mule deer with horns (no cape)? The idea of doing multiple trips to pack out meat is hard for me to understand. Back east, with cold weather I had no problem leaving meat out for a bit. It's really hot out here and we'll be hunting archery and rifle season. If I packed out a few quarters the 5+ miles to the truck, I feel like the meat left at the kill site would go bad. Or am I wrong? This is why I like the idea of each of us carrying out camp and a deboned muley in one haul if it's possible.

Another question: is it common practice to leave a cooler with ice in the pickup truck for every hunt you go on? I see myself spending a ton of money on ice each week because I don't know how successful we will be

Any other tips or suggestions? Plan is to (hopefully) shoot a buck. Bone him out (still need to learn this, resources or videos would be welcomed) and then pack in one brutal trip back to the truck. Seems too simple.

Also I did some research here and decided to go with the TAG bags 24" by 44" set of 5 that was recommended by some users here. Are those bags good for quartered meat as well or only boned out?

These questions are mainly for mule deer but I'll get a bear tag as well

I always bone out if I’m packing any animal out bones are heavy so I take the extra time to save weight. You could pack out a entire mule deer with the horns depending on how in shape a person is and have the right backpack. As far as meat spoilage goes as long as you debone the meat get it in good game bags and hang them up in a tree under some shade with a decent breeze the meat will stay good a while, I’ve never had meat spoil like that even on hot days as long as I can get it back to the rig within a decent time. If you are extremely worried about the meat and if available put that meat in a cold stream.

OldGrayJB

WKR
For ice... Freeze some gallon jugs of water. These will last a good bit longer than bags of ice.

Game bags specifically for boned out meat are narrow and easier to handle than standard bags full of meat. The Tag B.O.M.B. bags are for boned out meat.

OP
E

El Coyote

FNG
For ice... Freeze some gallon jugs of water. These will last a good bit longer than bags of ice.

Game bags specifically for boned out meat are narrow and easier to handle than standard bags full of meat. The Tag B.O.M.B. bags are for boned out meat.

Gallon jugs is a smart idea!

The BOMB bags look good. I wasn't sure if I'd be boning out or not so figured I'd go a tad bigger even though it would be some extra weight. I'll do some more thinking. It's possible I'd bone out but for that much money I'd like to buy once and use for every situation is be in. I could see future hunts where hauling out quarters would be likely

OP
E

El Coyote

FNG
I always bone out if I’m packing any animal out bones are heavy so I take the extra time to save weight. You could pack out a entire mule deer with the horns depending on how in shape a person is and have the right backpack. As far as meat spoilage goes as long as you debone the meat get it in good game bags and hang them up in a tree under some shade with a decent breeze the meat will stay good a while, I’ve never had meat spoil like that even on hot days as long as I can get it back to the rig within a decent time. If you are extremely worried about the meat and if available put that meat in a cold stream.

Meat directly in the stream? Or in a waterproof bag then in a stream? I always thought moisture was bad for meat but keep in mind I'm coming from a white tail background where we do things a bit differently. This is all new to me

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You definitely can haul out an entire boned out deer, but it's heavy. Really just depends on how much weight you can and want to carry out. I have carried my backpack camp and an entire deer out in one trip before, but it wasn't a long distance hike out. The logistics of fitting an entire deer with meat on bone in your pack are pretty difficult. You have roughly 20-24 hours to cool off your meat, so if you're solo, sometimes 2 trips is just easier and more manageable than trying to do it all in 1 trip.

I usually fill a cooler with block ice and leave it closed in the truck during archery season. If you have a good cooler and don't open it, the ice will keep for week easily.

And in terms of bags, I'm biased, but our High Country Pack is designed for what you're doing. 5 bags, 9 ounces, the size of a gas station burrito and can fit all of your quarters boned out OR bone-in plus your spare meat.

Meat directly in the stream? Or in a waterproof bag then in a stream? I always thought moisture was bad for meat but keep in mind I'm coming from a white tail background where we do things a bit differently. This is all new to me
I’d put it in some contractor bags and tie it off so no water gets in there directly and not fully submerge it. Id only do this in a pinch where I can’t get the meat to cool down. Some people may have a different method or take on this just telling you what’s worked for me and other people I know.

The ElkTalk podcast did an episode on how to handle meat care in hot weather. It had a lot of the points covered here and more. Recommended.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've never boned an animal out in the field. Easier to age bone in and your less likely to see spoilage due to less surface area for bacteria to grow. But, bones are heavy.

You surely could get a whole buck out, dependent on pain tolerance and size of the animal. My deer in MT last year 4 quarters, backstraps/tenderloins/misc meat and head weighed 105 lbs, so you conservatively be looking at 120+ pack out (day pack gear included). But most bucks are smaller bodied. In my opinion, 2 trips with 60 lbs you're wayyy better off than 1 @120lbs. You can get around a day before you see spoilage unless there is no shade anywhere and it's hotter than hell. Good luck

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Am I right in assuming that one person could pack out an entire boned out mule deer with horns (no cape)?

Depends on YOU, I know with day gear/rifle weight there was a big deer I shot there was no way I was packing out solo with the terrain we were in. We weighed the packs/game bags back at the truck out of curiosity. The bone in quarters and rest of the meat were 100lb, the head 8lb. My gear was 40lb so no I was not going to be able to pack that one out solo, as it'd still have been ~100lb deboned meat with the head and 140lb in that country was a no-go for me.

AKBorn

WKR
You mention you are a military guy - approximate age and shape? If you are relatively young and in decent shape, packing out in one load may work IF your other gear isn't too heavy. If you are older (I am 59) or not in great shape, two loads will be easier on the knees and back...

TAG bags work well; for caribou we typically leave the quarters on the bone and pack back to camp that way, but it's a fair amount of added weight. If you debone and combine separate pieces of meat in one bag, consider separating the pieces by slipping one piece of meat in the bag, then slipping a 2" ring (like a large keyring) down the bag to compartmentalize the first piece; slip another piece of meat into the bag, then another ring to separate, and so on.

If you opt to pack out in 2 loads, we like the shuttle system - take the first load about a quarter mile, drop the quarters on a Tyvek sheet, then go back for the 2nd load. Gives your legs/back/joints more frequent rest than taking one load all the way out, and then going back for the 2nd load. Might sound like a pain in the behind, but at 59 you do what you can to make things easier. :)

Lots of good deboning videos on Youtube. Best of luck on your hunt!

Superdoo

WKR
For cooler ice I freeze cases of water bottles and then throw them in the cooler. They are cheap and you know you have water if you need it. Also, remember to cool down your cooler the night before you leave!

Packing out a full mule deer in one trip is certainly possible. I packed out my idaho buck quartered, plus neck, rib meat, loins and straps plus the skull(no cape) in one trip. That with my day gear and 10 pound rifle made for a heavy pack but it wasn’t unbearable. The best feeling in the world is getting back to the truck and dumping your pack full of meat on the tailgate. You’re plan is solid, good luck!

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
For keeping your ice, agree with block ice/frozen jugs lasting a long time. Also adding some dry-ice on top of your 'wet' ice really helps keep it frozen. Make sure you leave a drain plug slightly open to bleed the CO2 out.
If you debone and combine separate pieces of meat in one bag, consider separating the pieces by slipping one piece of meat in the bag, then slipping a 2" ring (like a large keyring) down the bag to compartmentalize the first piece; slip another piece of meat into the bag, then another ring to separate, and so on.
Great idea, thanks.

400orBust

FNG
I would not put meat in plastic bags. It needs to breath to develop that skin or rind which will help protect it. Boning meat out and getting the hide off and the bones out really helps cool it down much faster. If you are packed in somewhere hanging the game bags over a stream is a great way to use the environment to cool the meat down. When the air cools in the evening it will follow stream beds down and having your meat in that cool airflow works well...I use this now and then and it works great (if there is a fallen tree or stout branches to hang from).

Never directly in a stream or lake, all you’ll do is contaminate the meat with bacteria. If you have to put it in water to cool it down, make sure that it’s in a water tight/proof bag and just have it in there long enough to cool it down, then get it out and hung up in the shade where air can get to it. Rain won’t hurt the meat at all, as long as it’s not sitting on the ground in a puddle, and as long as the temperatures are cool enough, like say 50° or cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Boned-out. Use a product like the Kifaru Meat Bags. They hold the meat in a long cylindrical shape that much better distributes the weight.

I always just hike-out all the meat, head and hide first... with some other smaller things in the pack. Then after get back to the truck and it's in the cooler, I hike back in and break down the tent and pack out the tent and other things I didn't want to bother with, or didn't have room for on first trip out.

It's not soo bad hiking back in a second time. Figure if I can do it, anybody else should be able to. My fitness levels aren't all that and a bag of chips.

i have boned out meat and hiked it back to trailhead on same day AND also have hung in a tree overnight and packed out early next morning (8 miles, one way trip). i am 150# , 5 ' 9 " tall so not a big guy. i can carry entire boned out buck, plus head and cape, with shanks, ribs, and heart. pretty damn heavy but most trails are down hill on the way back to TH! I have a cold beer at the car after getting meat in a cool with head / antlers sticking out. I place extra sleeping bag over the antlers to insulate a bit. Then i go back and pack out camp or sleep at camp and get out the next morning. Ice blocks are superior to bagged ice, as mentioned earlier.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to leave it bone-in and shuttle the meat out in shorter segments. This method keeps all the meat relatively near you, which is a big plus in bear country, and allows you to rest periodically as you go back empty for the next load. I like leaving the meat bone in so you can use the bones as a "handle" when throwing quarters over your shoulder.

Lots of ways to do it, you just have to pick one and try it to see if it's a good fit for you.

WCB

WKR
I bone out everything...As others have said depends on how good of shape you are in. I have no problem packing out a mature mule deer buck including horns and cape(this includes all quarters, all neck, brisket, rib meat...everything) . 11lb rifle, spotting scope, binos, and all the extra day hunt items.

If you are talking about packing out camp along with that then I would so it would be a no go for any sort of distance or topography.

If it is warm take some pictures and get to cutting as soon as possible. Elevated in shade is preferred....however even just getting it into shade (behind a rock, in some bushes) will help. I've even dug out a little spot as the ground is normally cooler in the shade and just below the surface. I just use the cheap game bags never had an issue. If you can put the meat as you are cutting directly into some sort of shade you will be surprised how cool it gets before you are done.

I usually have ice ready in a cooler but it may depend on how far from a town I am.