Newbie reloading questions

Thinking about reloading for my 6.5 PRC just trying to figure a few things out first.

How many reloads will I get using Hornady brass before the brass is not reloadable?

What is a good middle of the line die set for me to purchase? I have access to a friends reloading bench just need to buy dies.

thanks for the help

Not familiar with the hornAdy brass. I just started not to long ago and I started with 300wm Redding competition seating die and type s full length sizer. For the 6.5 CM I just got I grabbed the regular rcbs dies and they do everything I need, run a bit of cam over and bump back the shoulder I would add the Sinclair expander mandrel if you don’t go with a bushing sizer the rcbs sets way to much neck tension with my brass. I’d honestly just go with the rcbs dies and expander mandrel it’ll cost like 70$ and save money for powder and bullets

OP
NW_Bucketlist
Not familiar with the hornAdy brass. I just started not to long ago and I started with 300wm Redding competition seating die and type s full length sizer. For the 6.5 CM I just got I grabbed the regular rcbs dies and they do everything I need, run a bit of cam over and bump back the shoulder I would add the Sinclair expander mandrel if you don’t go with a bushing sizer the rcbs sets way to much neck tension with my brass. I’d honestly just go with the rcbs dies and expander mandrel it’ll cost like 70$ and save money for powder and bullets

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the rcbs dies and do a little reading about them.

Hornady brass is average at best. If reloading for 6.5 PRC, look at ADG brass. If you only have to buy components and dies, look at either Redding or Forster dies. More expensive but worth it in my opinion.

I think Hornady brass is a bit softer and it doesn't seem to last as long as other brass. However, sometimes it is all you can find or it is cheap enough to pick it up. Nothing to completely shy away from but beware that you might not get as many times reloading with it. Norma or Nosler brass is pretty good with Federal being a bit thicker and sometimes tougher to work with. With what you are loading, I would look at better quality brass.
As for the dies, if you are using a friend's press, I would try to match what they have but anything will work. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lee. Probably in that order for me but it again depends on the caliber and the volume you are looking at doing. If you plan to do a lot then I would spend the money for a better die set.

OP
NW_Bucketlist
Hornady brass is average at best. If reloading for 6.5 PRC, look at ADG brass. If you only have to buy components and dies, look at either Redding or Forster dies. More expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the response. So with the hornady brass do you think I will only get 1 to 2 reloads at best? The ADG brass sounds well made after reading about it? About how many reloads would I get out of the ADG?

Thanks for the response. So with the hornady brass do you think I will only get 1 to 2 reloads at best? The ADG brass sounds well made after reading about it? About how many reloads would I get out of the ADG?

I don't have a PRC so I honestly can't give you a good answer there. For comparison though, I load for 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a load that I use Hornady brass for (plinking loads where I reuse the brass from Hornady Match ammo I shot). It isn't an overly stout load but after 3-4 firings the primer pocket starts to loosen up. My preferred loads I use Alpha Munitions brass (ADG and Alpha are very similar in quality from what I have seen). I have one batch that has 6 firings on it and primer pockets are still great. You will also see better consistency with quality brass. I would guess (again, purely speculation on my part...someone who has a 6.5 PRC that uses ADG brass could better qualify this) that 200-300 pieces of ADG would last you until your barrel is toast.

OP
NW_Bucketlist
I don't have a PRC so I honestly can't give you a good answer there. For comparison though, I load for 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a load that I use Hornady brass for (plinking loads where I reuse the brass from Hornady Match ammo I shot). It isn't an overly stout load but after 3-4 firings the primer pocket starts to loosen up. My preferred loads I use Alpha Munitions brass (ADG and Alpha are very similar in quality from what I have seen). I have one batch that has 6 firings on it and primer pockets are still great. You will also see better consistency with quality brass. I would guess (again, purely speculation on my part...someone who has a 6.5 PRC that uses ADG brass could better qualify this) that 200-300 pieces of ADG would last you until your barrel is toast.

thank you for the response I really do appreciate it. I am sure I will have a pile of questions once I get everything and start playing with some loads.

Thinking about reloading for my 6.5 PRC just trying to figure a few things out first.

How many reloads will I get using Hornady brass before the brass is not reloadable?

What is a good middle of the line die set for me to purchase? I have access to a friends reloading bench just need to buy dies.

thanks for the help

I’ve heard of people getting 9 firings out of hornandy brass but that’s within capacity limits and annealing every firing. I got my Redding die set for 107 dollars but that was for a neck sizer, full length sizer and a seater. If I could go back I would get just a FL sizer and a seater with a micrometer. You don’t need the micrometer but if you get carried away to the .001” they sure save a lot of time and anguish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Brass life depends on how hot the loads are, Hornady brass is softer- less life. I’ve found good quality brass is more important than brand of die. The cheaper Hornady dies can make very good reloads with good brass. The very expensive dies can make some pretty crappy ammo with crappy brass. At least that’s the conclusion I’ve come to believe

Shrek

WKR
Hornady brass is notoriously soft and their dies are bottom of the barrel. Hard to beat Forster dies for value. For the best results I use a Redding body bump die then a Lee Collet neck die. A Forster micrometer seater. Or go top of the line and buy a Whiddon die set. You won’t make straighter ammo with the Whiddon dies but they’re a real pleasure to use. Quality brass is worth every penny.

I get excellent and very consistent results with both Hornady and RCBS dies. For whatever reason it mentally feels like they set up and behave the most similar to me. My results are less stellar with Lee dies but I use the Lee factory crimp die for rounds like the 30-30 that require or benefit from a crimp. I don't chase velocity so I'll buy Lapua or Norma when its available for a cartridge but I'm most worried about picking a manufacturer and sticking with it. Some of my rifles get fed Lapua but I also need groceries. My 30-30 gets Winchester which was what was available when I started loading for the gun. While good brass is certainly worth every penny, good prep on your part is also worth the time spent. My most consistent 308 load lives in Lake City brass that followed me home in a bucket and I spent maaaaaany nights decapping, sorting, and prepping.

ericwh

WKR
Here is an informative and data-driven review of some sizing dies:

In the future I'm going Forster or Hornady Custom Grade w/add-on micrometer for seating. Reloading various bullets and doing seating depth tests, I wouldn't buy a die set without micrometer seating.