Newbie Reloading Setup

renagde

WKR
Just getting into reloading and trying to get everything that I need lined up. I bought a vintage RCBS Rock Chucker kit. It included everything that they include in the master kit with the addition of a powder trickler and RCBS manual case trimmer.

I have some RCBS dies and digital calipers on the way and I'm picking up some powder bullets and primers (if i can find some). Is there anything else I need to start loading for my Tikka 6.5?

I'm considering picking up the Forster Datum set, or possibly just the Hornady Comparator set. Are these necessary and if so, is the Forster set worth the extra money?

EM_556

WKR
You picked a quality press. Make sure you have the primer hand loader and all associated shell-holders for the hand loader. I'm assuming the kit came with a mechanical scale. That coupled with the powder trickler will give you the best accuracy for powder dispense. Make sure you have the associated shell-holders for your press as well for each caliber you plan to reload for. Other than that, invest in a nice set of dies, I only buy RCBS FL 2 Set dies for everything. They have never failed. FInd a good reloading book, and start the fun journey of reloading!

You have a solid platform to start from. Sounds like you have done a lot of research. The Hornady set will be a good set for you. You don’t need it to start though, you can use your calipers to start trying things out. Reloading takes a lot of tinkering, just keep trying different things and you will see your groups shrink in size. Also you don’t have to buy a reloading manual, most stuff can be found online, like Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Hodgdon and Western Powders, and some of Hornady’s stuff.

Barnes and Nosler usually give most accurate powder for a certain bullet weight. Some of the older Sierra load data gives a best accuracy load and a best hunting load. I am assuming you are loading for the 6.5 creedmoor, if that’s correct, then I would recommend trying Varget and H4350. I have had good luck with those two powders.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
You have a solid platform to start from. Sounds like you have done a lot of research. The Hornady set will be a good set for you. You don’t need it to start though, you can use your calipers to start trying things out. Reloading takes a lot of tinkering, just keep trying different things and you will see your groups shrink in size. Also you don’t have to buy a reloading manual, most stuff can be found online, like Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Hodgdon and Western Powders, and some of Hornady’s stuff.

Barnes and Nosler usually give most accurate powder for a certain bullet weight. Some of the older Sierra load data gives a best accuracy load and a best hunting load. I am assuming you are loading for the 6.5 creedmoor, if that’s correct, then I would recommend trying Varget and H4350. I have had good luck with those two powders.
Thanks for the reply. I do have 2 loading manuals, however, they are to old to even have creedmoor load data. I figured I would be able to find enough information online to give me a good baseline to start from. H4350 and RL23 powder is on my list to track down.

JRMiller

WKR
You can live witbout a body/headspace comparator, but i highly recommend a bullet comparator to get accurate COALs. I’ve only ever used the Hornady set, it does its job.