Newbie Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

lif

WKR
Been thinking about the issues that seem to be growing between the Newbie asking to come hunting at your spot, the Chinese Internet mafia, and the folks complaining about post counts to qualify for classifieds. Now I’m no tech wizard, so this is a Hail Mary at best, but what about making anyone that joins Rokslide wait 30 days before being able to post? Seems like it would deter some of the johnny come latelys from signing up and polluting the posts the same day. Also could deter the Chinese mafia from bouncing in constantly(I think) Again this is a Hail Mary but it’s been frustrating watching so much negativity getting bred on Rokslide lately.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's a little odd in that AT as well has been absolutely FILLED with new people all of a sudden.......all trying to make that magic number of 20 posts.......just so they can post in the Classifieds?????? Hard to imagine that we suddenly have that many new people wanting to join both sites at the same time just for the Classifieds. Are we selling stuff at ridiculously "too low" prices or something? Throw in the China stampede and it's all a little suspicious.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 7 day period along with the 10 posts to post in the classifieds. The 7 days was to allow the user to hit 10 being naturally involved with threads, without posting, "okay", "thats cool" or "good idea" 10 times in 5 minutes. If nothing else it gives other members a sample size of posts before dealing with a buyer/seller.

On the Chinese side, both ryan and I have been tweaking firewall/site rules to try and catch it before they post.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Just to clarify, I am not criticizing, just brain storming. I appreciate all you guys do at rokslide and have no issues with your guys effort.

We have a 7 day period along with the 10 posts to post in the classifieds. The 7 days was to allow the user to hit 10 being naturally involved with threads, without posting, "okay", "thats cool" or "good idea" 10 times in 5 minutes. If nothing else it gives other members a sample size of posts before dealing with a buyer/seller.

On the Chinese side, both ryan and I have been tweaking firewall/site rules to try and catch it before they post.

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords with open arms. I offer my assistance as a loyal servant in their eventual and inevitable journey toward world domination.

OP
L

lif

WKR
I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords with open arms. I offer my assistance as a loyal servant in their eventual and inevitable journey toward world domination.
I’m actually ok with them as well, as long as they post their threads in Chinese.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, I am not criticizing, just brain storming. I appreciate all you guys do at rokslide and have no issues with your guys effort.
Didn't take it as criticism, we've gotten plenty of that(ryan gets most of it).

If I had my way every post from every user would need to be okayed by a group of rokslide moderators, we'll just call this group "the enlightened ones." It would create the perfect online space for all hunters!

OP
L

lif

WKR
Didn't take it as criticism, we've gotten plenty of that(ryan gets most of it).

If I had my way every post from every user would need to be okayed by a group of rokslide moderators, we'll just call this group "the enlightened ones." It would create the perfect online space for all hunters!
Exactly. How often do you guys have to ban someone? And how far does it have to go before you revoke their privileges? I’ve ran across couple a holes here and there but obviously you can’t ban every online personality you think is an a hole. Seems like a tireless job constantly breaking up fights with the children of Rokslide. Thanks for the feed back.

SWOHTR

WKR

Someone's been watching a little too much Man in the High Castle! Hah.

Agreed it's been annoying, especially the Chinese spam. I guess I should stop mentioning any DoD affiliation. Somewhat related, has anyone tried to translate what the spam posts said?

Rob5589

WKR
10 posts/7 days is nothing. A couple of golf sites I go to are 75 posts to use the classified section. The other option is to join the site, which is 35 bucks I think, or pay a listing fee of 5 or so bucks a week. Funny thing is, those clamoring to get into the classifieds never seem to have anything special anyway.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
14 days, 30 days to post. As for classifieds 60 days or 90 days to sell anything plus a count number of some amount like 40 or 50 maybe.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
10 posts/7 days is nothing. A couple of golf sites I go to are 75 posts to use the classified section. The other option is to join the site, which is 35 bucks I think, or pay a listing fee of 5 or so bucks a week. Funny thing is, those clamoring to get into the classifieds never seem to have anything special anyway.

That's why we blow off the people whining about the post count, we have one of the lowest thresholds out there.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
So for posting in classifieds the 10 post requirement, is that post replies to a thread or 10 threads that the person has to start? Just curious because I have over 10 posts and it still says I do not have privileges.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I like having the post count for posting in the classifieds. I would have posted as soon as I joined but need to wait allowed me to realize I needed to get organized before I posted. Rather than throwing something up and then not responding like I need to for the sale. The requirements seem to be pretty minimal really. I could see them being moved up some to ensure people actually want to join not just sell something. We work with the public a lot and I don’t envy the administrators here.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So for posting in classifieds the 10 post requirement, is that post replies to a thread or 10 threads that the person has to start? Just curious because I have over 10 posts and it still says I do not have privileges.
You also have to a member for 7 days

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Reply, try now.

Status
Not open for further replies.