Newbie Spring Bear NW Montana

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to Kalispell in the fall, and am looking to get out in the woods and do some spring hunting soon. I read in a major publication that the north fork should be good, and since that’s close to home I’ve been E -scouting that area and doing research for the last few weeks. I was looking at setting up camp at one of the many primitive campsites on ONX that are in unit 103. Im not looking for any specific spots (unless you want to give them), but really just looking for tips about the area and if the mountains in that unit are decent or a waste of time. I’m also looking forward to doing some camping and will bring my fly rod too, so I suppose if nothing else I’ll get some good hiking in and maybe catch a few cutties. I’ve seen a few people post on here that live in the valley so hopefully someone can give me a little bit of local knowledge. Thanks!

Last edited:

skierhs

WKR
Lots of griz... the whole north west section of Montana has a good amount of bears both black and brown. If your going to hunt chutes then get a tripod and sit down and glass, if your gonna bush wack, well good luck because that stuff is thick haha.

mooster

WKR
Lots of griz... the whole north west section of Montana has a good amount of bears both black and brown. If your going to hunt chutes then get a tripod and sit down and glass, if your gonna bush wack, well good luck because that stuff is thick haha.
I think the bear biologist I spoke to earlier this year said there was say 1400 black bear in the NW corner, N and W of Libby, same space had maybe 60 or less grizzly.

skierhs

WKR
I think the bear biologist I spoke to earlier this year said there was say 1400 black bear in the NW corner, N and W of Libby, same space had maybe 60 or less grizzly.
Huh, I’d love to see the study cited for that. From personal experience I believe that 60 number is under reporting. Sounds like it’s the same report saying they’re extremely endangered and not close to having a sustainable population. . . The irony of our state putting down two griz in the last week alone and still being told we don’t have a sustainable population haha

skierhs

WKR
From my notes of call with the game biologist that you can call also. PM and I’ll divulge her name and no. ....

I ask framed the discussion this way, as I've read usually you get more info if you have specific questions. I did ask her if this was a bad plan, if she had other areas we should be considering. She said this is a great plan. That despite the area being the extreme NW corner of MT, its actually some of the lowest elevation range, and provides the highest density of bears. She said black bearare approximately 1 per square mile (640 acres) in this unit. The only data I have for GA is old, but it indicated a density of 1 bear per 1.56 square miles.

BTW, when asked about grizzly density, she said she didn't have a per sq.mile number, but said that the population is estimated as 65 grizzly for the whole unit. In comparison, the Glacier National Park area has over 1,000 grizzly. She did reinforce the use of bear spray. The had one hunter fatality last year. Unfortunately, investigation proved in an attempt to stop the bear mauling, a bullet fired by one hunter at the bear fatally wounded another hunter being mauled.
Much appreciated, I may have to reach out then. The data for that would be interesting to delve through and get an idea of how she is getting that low of number yet so high for glacier area. Especially since glacier has more elevation change than the Libby area.

Okhotnik

WKR
Pick any logging road, bring chains, chainsaw and shovel in NW MT. Set up camp and start hiking and glassing. As mentioned a lot of griz there. good luck. Id bring an electric bear fence to set up around camp. Obviously store your food suspended away from camp. Good luck

Okhotnik

WKR
From my notes of call with the game biologist that you can call also. PM and I’ll divulge her name and no. ....

I ask framed the discussion this way, as I've read usually you get more info if you have specific questions. I did ask her if this was a bad plan, if she had other areas we should be considering. She said this is a great plan. That despite the area being the extreme NW corner of MT, its actually some of the lowest elevation range, and provides the highest density of bears. She said black bearare approximately 1 per square mile (640 acres) in this unit. The only data I have for GA is old, but it indicated a density of 1 bear per 1.56 square miles.

BTW, when asked about grizzly density, she said she didn't have a per sq.mile number, but said that the population is estimated as 65 grizzly for the whole unit. In comparison, the Glacier National Park area has over 1,000 grizzly. She did reinforce the use of bear spray. The had one hunter fatality last year. Unfortunately, investigation proved in an attempt to stop the bear mauling, a bullet fired by one hunter at the bear fatally wounded another hunter being mauled.

I fly fish in GNP. There are a lot of griz there. Im really surprised not more bear encounters with tourists.

bsnedeker

WKR
I live in Columbia Falls and I've been out the last two weekends scouting for bears while chasing turks. Lots of great hunting areas for bears, but the snow still has a bunch of the back-country roads closed down. I'm hoping the weather we've had this week will open up some new areas to get into...supposed to be raining most of the weekend but I'll be out chasing them again! Good luck to you.

Okhotnik

WKR
I live in Columbia Falls and I've been out the last two weekends scouting for bears while chasing turks. Lots of great hunting areas for bears, but the snow still has a bunch of the back-country roads closed down. I'm hoping the weather we've had this week will open up some new areas to get into...supposed to be raining most of the weekend but I'll be out chasing them again! Good luck to you.

I was to supposed to fish the BF Rez lakes this weekend . Hope Montana opens up soon. Is Arends Fly shop still open in Columbia Falls?

Good luck sorry to jack thread

bsnedeker

WKR
Nope, it's closed up unfortunately. We still have 2-3 fly shops right in C. Falls that I hear good things about. I can't speak to the quality myself because I haven't gotten into fly fishing yet, but I really want to!

I'm not sure what they are doing with NR hunting and fishing. We are still under the 14-day quarantine for visitors, but the official ban on NR turkey and bear hunting is supposed to end as early as tomorrow but FWP hasn't said anything yet and the governor has said we are going to start opening stuff back up next week...crazy stuff!

I moved to Kalispell in the fall, and am looking to get out in the woods and do some spring hunting soon. I read in a major publication that the north fork should be good, and since that’s close to home I’ve been E -scouting that area and doing research for the last few weeks. I was looking at setting up camp at one of the many primitive campsites on ONX that are in unit 103. Im not looking for any specific spots (unless you want to give them), but really just looking for tips about the area and if the mountains in that unit are decent or a waste of time. I’m also looking forward to doing some camping and will bring my fly rod too, so I suppose if nothing else I’ll get some good hiking in and maybe catch a few cutties. I’ve seen a few people post on here that live in the valley so hopefully someone can give me a little bit of local knowledge. Thanks!
I used to live in the valley and hunted and hiked quite a bit of it. I never saw a black bear but did see some sign. I think you want to look at least 45 min outside of Kalispell - lots of logging roads and checkered state land- near the lakes to the south

OP
M

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
My go to is Lakestream fly shop in Whitefish. Great guys over there. I haven’t been to the shops in C falls yet.