Newbie to Archery - Advice and Help!

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
My first bow was a PSE Stinger 3G. It's a solid beginner setup.
Mine was too and I wish someone had told me to skip that and buy a slightly used flagship. The RTH accessories are pretty much all junk and you end up spending more money in the long run replacing and re-tuning.

If you buy a used flagship you could shoot it for the next 5-10 years no problem. If you buy an entry level bow like a stinger you'll be replacing that bow in less than 2 years guaranteed. If you have shops around you that sell used bows go shoot as many different bows as possible and see what feels best to you.

I'm gonna echo the "buy a beginner bow" advice and here's why...

If you get into archery and its something you enjoy, the chances you're gonna stick with your first bow beyond the first couple years is low(especially if you're the type to be on a website like this). Will a used(or even new) flagship "last" you the next 5-10 years? Sure... same could be said for a PSE Stinger, so that argument is a wash.

As far as bow shops, keep your eyes open. Some are good, but in my experience the good ones are more of an exception than the rule. Many are run by pompous dickheads, others by straight up con artists... and both of these types of shops come recommended on my local forums so you can't go by that!

If it were me buying, whatever bow you pick I'd shy away from the RTH packages because like many have mentioned, they come with crappy accessories usually. Spend your money on a quality sight, rest, and quiver... then when the time comes you want to upgrade(and it will, regardless of if you bought a Stinger or a 5 year old flagship), you can move those accessories to your new bow.

Goose1327

FNG
Hey man! Just took this plunge as well. I loved archery growing up but didn’t shoot anything more than your rink-a-dink bow at scout camps. Stumbled into a pro-shop to get a feel of new technology and shot a Prime Nexus 4. Loved it but hated the color they had stocked. Just so happened an employee had one in black and was looking to upgrade to the new Mathew’s flagship. Got a smoking deal and I’ve slowly accumulated some stuff. Trying to shoot 25-50 arrows a day. Now I’m looking for packs, tents, and the like. Look forward to seeing you on this journey!

I would not waste my time on a RTH package.

I’d buy a quality used bow and if you decide archery isn’t your thing you can most likely get your money out of it

Id take that Mathews listed up above for $300 over a new PSE RTH bow in a box all day long

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input fellas. I ended up getting a good deal on a Matthew's z7 magnum from a friend. Im loving it so far!
Now I'm just dosing myself in all the other technicalities

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Jens22

FNG
I have a like-new Mathews Switchback 30", 60-70# with Mathews drop-a-way rest, sight, brand new string, and quiver that also comes with a Mathews soft case. $300 plus whatever it cost to ship if you are interested.
You still have this bow?