Newbie Western Hunter

I recently moved to Southeastern Idaho from Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a new job. I grew up sitting in tree stands and box blinds hunting white tail, but really want to get into the back country western hunting. I’ve got a Kuiu Pro LT pack, backpacking gear that I will also use for camping on hunts, a .270 rifle, vortex 10x42’s, good boots, and a cooking and water set up.

I’m wondering if anyone has some tips for a new guy on gear that is a must have outside of what I already have, where to go around here that would offer good learning opportunities and chances at animals (looking to hunt elk, mule deer, bear, pronghorn, white tail, though I know the population isn’t great in SE Idaho, dove and duck), also what would be a good hunt to start with to get some experience covering miles they may be less gear intensive or more a 3-4 day hunt?

Also, if anyone is looking to teach a newbie I’m also down to make friends and learn from more experienced hunter. Not looking to steal a honey hole. I want to learn how to find my own more so.

Any tips are appreciated and I’ll definitely be searching the forums for all that I can find as well!

Thanks in advance

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Not for hunting purposes but more gear and good reps backpacking, you should cruise a few loops through the sawtooths. Some of my fav pure backpacking and scenery in there.

bsnedeker

WKR
I would learn about Permethrin and how to treat your clothes with it. Then I would get out there in the spring and do some scouting/camping. If it was me I would start on bears just because you might be a resident by then and can buy OTC tags. Get out, find some open hillsides, and spend some time glassing them.

Also, learn to shoot 5-600 yards. Shot distances are probably the biggest difference you'll hunting out west I think.

Last edited:

southLA

WKR
I recently moved to Southeastern Idaho from Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a new job. I grew up sitting in tree stands and box blinds hunting white tail, but really want to get into the back country western hunting. I’ve got a Kuiu Pro LT pack, backpacking gear that I will also use for camping on hunts, a .270 rifle, vortex 10x42’s, good boots, and a cooking and water set up.

I’m wondering if anyone has some tips for a new guy on gear that is a must have outside of what I already have, where to go around here that would offer good learning opportunities and chances at animals (looking to hunt elk, mule deer, bear, pronghorn, white tail, though I know the population isn’t great in SE Idaho, dove and duck), also what would be a good hunt to start with to get some experience covering miles they may be less gear intensive or more a 3-4 day hunt?

Also, if anyone is looking to teach a newbie I’m also down to make friends and learn from more experienced hunter. Not looking to steal a honey hole. I want to learn how to find my own more so.

Any tips are appreciated and I’ll definitely be searching the forums for all that I can find as well!

Thanks in advance
A major piece of advice is to make sure you bring along some Walkons cheese fries with you when going into the backcountry.

One thing that many people are unprepared for when they move to the Mountain West is the suddenness and severity of weather changes. This is why people die of exposure every single year. At elevations above 6000 feet the weather can go from “I’m stripped down to my T-shirt and I’m still hot“ to “life-threatening white-out snowstorm” in a couple hours Or less. For this reason I always carry raincoat, rain pants, and some kind of warm fluffy parka layer when i’m hunting or scouting. I make an exception for short day hikes in very familiar terrain at lower elevations During July and August. But otherwise I expect the worst and hope for the best when it comes to weather.

There’s a couple of excellent books on mule deer hunting by a fellow named Walter Prothero who used to write for field and stream. Elk hunting is a life lesson in patience diligence and disappointment. It is much harder than mule deer hunting. Just get out there be safe, do a lot of reading.

t_carlson

WKR
One little piece of gear that makes a big difference for me is a rifle holder on your pack. I like the Kifaru one.

If you're in real cold weather, most backpacking stoves will not work because the fuel gets too cold. I use an MSR stove that has the fuel canister connected to the stove by a hose instead of a direct connection. It allows you to flip the fuel canister over and burn liquid fuel instead of evaporated gas. You can also use something like an MSR Whisperlite, but those are heavier and kind of a PITA to light.

Baller

FNG
Glassing.

You will need to get good at it. This means a tripod, an adaptor for your binos to attach to your head on the tripod. Buy the best you can afford, in all cases. I am a Swaro guy and use Sirui tripods and a VA-5 head on outdoorsmans adaptor.

Google glassing and you can find info out on you tube and the old google machine. A must for western hunters imo.

tony

WKR
This site is an encyclopedia of hunting.
search a topic, read and learn from a lot of real deal guys and gals.

t_carlson

WKR
Oh, and always have 2 headlamps with extra batteries.

A single trekking pole is invaluable in steep and snowy terrain.

Thanks in advance
You are going to need a Tacoma TRD with a Tepui roof top tent, traction boards snorkel, at least one dog and mustache/beard ensemble. 😂 In all seriousness, like Tony pointed out, this place is an absolute gold mine of info with guys that will share it. One of the fun parts (for me anyway) is geeking out on gear. Welcome to Idaho! Grab ya a map, throw a dart and get to exploring!

OP
S
I would learn about Permethrin and how to treat your clothes with it. Then I would get out there in the spring and do some scouting/camping. If it was me I would start on bears just because you might be a resident by then and can buy OTC tags. Get out, find some open hillsides, and spend some time glassing them.

Also, learn to shoot 5-600 yards. Shot distances are probably the biggest difference you'll hunting out west I think.
Time at the range and get out there for bear! Got it!