MadMax

FNG
Hey all, starting to talk with my brother about elk.
Has always been on my list, and Im not getting any younger!
From Wisconsin, and a regular whitetail hunter.

For a first timer, would you guys recommend an archery hunt or rifle?
I believe we will attempt a DIY hunt.

Thanks in advance for any advice one way or the other.
Just trying to learn!

Mike

Geewhiz

WKR
Welcome to rokslide! It all depends on where you want to hunt and a million other variables, but I would think that rifle would give you a much more realistic chance and going home with an elk than archery. Although if you're in it more for the experience and camping and hiking in nice weather with the chance of hearing a bull bugle, archery might be more your cup of tea.

Brillo

FNG
What do you prefer to do in Wisconsin? Maybe that will help. Either way I am finding that the learning curve is steep just in the discovery process of choosing a state and figuring out applications. They are all different. Good luck and stick with it.

Koterman

FNG
Welcome! I prefer archery but rifle would be easiest for your first time. I also recommend doing a couple test runs with all your gear before you go out. I'm a midwest whitetail hunter too and the backcountry is a whole different experience.

OP
M

MadMax

FNG
Appreciate the warm welcome and all of the replies.

Definitely prefer archery at home here...hands down.
Fairly flexible schedule.
Thinking Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho.
Plan to start accruing pref points this year.
I think I like the idea of hearing bugling and the potential for warmer weather, just trying to wrap my head around how different it will be than sitting in a tree stand.

Welcome to the Apex big game animal. A mature Bull Elk will get your goose bumps going like no other.
They are incredible animals to hunt. A Big mature bull doesn't get that way by making a lot of mistakes.
It is an awesome yet frustrating journey hunting bull elk.

I personally would go guided if you have never hunted Elk, hunted out west and don't have anyone to teach
you. There are so many differences/subtle things to Elk hunting compared to Deer. Learn from a good guide
and go DIY the next year.

If archery is what you prefer then do that. Nothing like chasing bugles. Always watch the wind, and learn about thermals

I am currently reading Public Land Elk Hunting by Matthew Dworak. I am born and raised western hunter and as I read it I realized this book is written for guys just like you, who want to go out west to hunt. His recommendation is to rifle hunt first, as (and I agree) bow hunting can be pretty technical. There are a ton of stuff that can go wrong with a bow. Not much can wrong with a rifle. and while some people can make bugling look easy, I can't seam to master it. What ever you choose, elk hunting is an amazing time you'll never regret. Unless you shoot one in the bottom of canyon.

Gerbdog

WKR
I am currently reading Public Land Elk Hunting by Matthew Dworak. I am born and raised western hunter and as I read it I realized this book is written for guys just like you, who want to go out west to hunt. His recommendation is to rifle hunt first, as (and I agree) bow hunting can be pretty technical. There are a ton of stuff that can go wrong with a bow. Not much can wrong with a rifle. and while some people can make bugling look easy, I can't seam to master it. What ever you choose, elk hunting is an amazing time you'll never regret. Unless you shoot one in the bottom of canyon.
I'll second that the book mentioned here is a great starting place for new would be hunters out west here. Great starting place that will get anyone started including lists of what to bring, what to look for, etc.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm from Iowa and have been going DIY for a few years. Started with archery. Hearing bugles is cool. But I found that chasing bulls in mountains is pretty difficult even if the wind didn't matter. A lot can and will go wrong in your set ups. I've been close a few times, but finally filled a tag with a rifle. I'd say if you're lucky enough to get a wyoming or montana tag, just be wise with your time off. Say you have 3 weeks to burn. I'd use half in archery or maybe even 2 weeks. And then plan to come back for a week of rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kissell59

FNG
Heading to Colorado for first DIY Archery Hunt this September. Chose archery because that's what I love. Goodluck with whatever you choose!

OP
M

MadMax

FNG
Thinking that if we can get a general elk tag in Montana, and we pick the right unit, that we may try to “get the best of both” as has been suggested. Try to tie the end of archery into the same hunt as rifle...few days of each??

Kissell59- Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

bsnedeker

WKR
I wouldn't try to do them back to back like that. There is a week between the end of archery and the beginning of rifle. That's a waste of time off just sitting around. I would take a week off in mid September, and another week off late October to mid November if you can swing it. If you can't do that I would pick one or the other, not try to do both on the same trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
M

MadMax

FNG
What would you guys recommend for the week of rifle? Try to get close to the end of the rut, or push it back? I hadn’t given much thought to a rifle strategy...

OP
M

MadMax

FNG
Appreciate the heads up on the book, wonder if I can get it as an audiobook...something to listen to while driving to/from work...?

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Corey Jacobsen's online Elk101 course, treeline academy is also very good, Paul Mendel the Elk Nut, I think his handle is @ElkNut on here; he posts frequently. People don't balk at spending 1k on an elk tag but paying a couple hundred dollars for education is blasphemy lol.

General tag in MT or WY would be your best bet. I'm also from WI, I started doing DIY 5 years ago, missed one year because I was having a kid. Otherwise I've killed an elk on all 4 of my trips (ID, WY, and MT), all archery and all on general or OTC tags. 2 raghorns, a cow, and a P and Y bull you can see on my handle. I don't archery hunt whitetails at home anymore if that tells you anything...

It can be done DIY, you could go the guided route and it would likely shorten the curve, but figuring it out is half the fun. Especially if you have enough time off, as long as you're willing to hike, you will eventually find them. It usually takes me a couple days in a new area to figure out what's going on. This is just me personally, but I'd rather spend 3 weeks chasing them during the rut instead of breaking it up between archery and rifle. Rest of the guys are right though, you'll probably have a better chance killing one if you go back during rifle.

Feel free to PM me if you want.