Newbies asking for a handout!!!

Just got hit up like this the other day. They had been searching threads for a specific unit, saw I had hunted there, and sent me a PM asking for help. I was like damn that's bold for someone who just joined.

Like you Lone Hunter, I don't really care that much anymore because anyone that lazy isn't likely to find me in the woods anyway.

svivian

WKR
Part of the reason I took a break from this site for a couple years. This goes hand in hand with the hundreds of threads asking what the best pack or rifle caliber or or binos or unit or clothing or color, etc... that get asked over and over with the same answers. The need for verbal/social validation for spending money or making the right choices is strong with many, rather than doing the research themselves and making educated decisions.

Laramie

WKR
Part of the reason I took a break from this site for a couple years. This goes hand in hand with the hundreds of threads asking what the best pack or rifle caliber or or binos or unit or clothing or color, etc... that get asked over and over with the same answers. The need for verbal/social validation for spending money or making the right choices is strong with many, rather than doing the research themselves and making educated decisions.
Or they are just getting their post count up to use the classifieds... I will admit, there is a gob of threads with the same questions

svivian

WKR
There is a lot of good members and a lot of knowledge on here still, it is to be expected being on the internet that others will find it and want to take advantage of it just the same as we did when we signed up.

Laramie

WKR
There is a lot of good members and a lot of knowledge on here still, it is to be expected being on the internet that others will find it and want to take advantage of it just the same as we did when we signed up.
I signed up to BS with like minded guys... not taking advantage of anything. I feel like 1/2 the guys on here are here for the same reason.

I will say a member helped this year when I couldn't find ammo for my kid so I have benefitted from being a member. I have helped a few people in return - one shot a nice bull this past weekend based on my advice. I have been discussing it with him for several months and he has reciprocated. It wasn't his intention to use me for elk knowledge- it just happened organically. That's the good side of this, and other outdoor forums imo.

Just got hit up like this the other day. They had been searching threads for a specific unit, saw I had hunted there, and sent me a PM asking for help. I was like damn that's bold for someone who just joined.

Like you Lone Hunter, I don't really care that much anymore because anyone that lazy isn't likely to find me in the woods anyway.

I get this now and then. I find it rewarding to help where I can. However, they have to ask the right questions. "Where should I go" or "what areas are best" are not the right questions. Some people are asking for guidance on their plan and to me that is way different than asking for a hand out.

Units/species matter too. If I knew where sheep/goats were I would be glad to help a guy with a tag. I will give you GPS coordinates where I killed the buck in my avatar.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
You should join some western hunting FB groups. The amount of questions asking for specific info for specific units will make you want to strangle a MFer.
The FB Colorado hunting pages kill me! “I accidentally drew a PLO tag and have no where to go. Can someone give me their place to hunt”.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I have no problem helping guys on this site or other sites, but it’s usually in a PM. Posting units and especially GPS coordinates and drainage names on a public forum should be a sin!

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider

It doesn’t even have to be that far from a road haha. Case and point, I remember one year I was hunting a tag in colorado for deer, in pretty tough unit. It’s thick, steep, low deer numbers, billions of elk hunters etc. These boys from Kentucky slammed a 180 incher like 400 yards behind my camp right by the road. And when I went to chat them up the one was like “ I am so glad this is over this is the hardest hunt I’ve ever done”……….. after shooting a damn giant! Practically from the road!!!! I think the never heard from again usually are like those guys

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Then disappear and never return once their hunt is over!
You stole my posting! lol......
Especially with the sheep, etc. threads.

Newb formula: seek constant input until hunt, then.....* p o o f *....never post again.

I won't even bother going forward. Info is now earned with a fair measure of boot leather and contribution here overall or it isn't offered anymore.

Poser

WKR
Was joking around about starting to freely hand out advice about local units around here (commonly asked about) and send inquiring parties up the nastiest slopes around: 40+ degrees, no benches, lots of blowdown, rock outcroppings, no water etc. “it’s a pretty tough climb, but that keeps the riffraff out. Just keep going until you hit treeline, plan on staying for at least 3 nights, plenty of water along the way.”

Vandy321

WKR
Careful now, can't be critical of others, there is a certain mod on here who whines anytime anyone bothers to tell the new guys to maybe put in some leg work first, or at least contribute in some form. He'll threaten to ban you, but then won't follow through because he doesn't have a leg to stand on...in my mind, people condoning those types of posts are half the problem...some here care more about clicks and website traffic than they do about folks protecting the units they put miles and miles of boot rubber down in.

My option only, feel free to disagree.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Was joking around about starting to freely hand out advice about local units around here (commonly asked about) and send inquiring parties up the nastiest slopes around: 40+ degrees, no benches, lots of blowdown, rock outcroppings, no water etc. “it’s a pretty tough climb, but that keeps the riffraff out. Just keep going until you hit treeline, plan on staying for at least 3 nights, plenty of water along the way.”
If they didn’t die the funny part is they probably would kill a slammer 🤣

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Careful now, can't be critical of others, there is a certain mod on here who whines anytime anyone bothers to tell the new guys to maybe put in some leg work first, or at least contribute in some form. He'll threaten to ban you, but then won't follow through because he doesn't have a leg to stand on...in my mind, people condoning those types of posts are half the problem...some here care more about clicks and website traffic than they do about folks protecting the units they put miles and miles of boot rubber down in.

My option only, feel free to disagree.
Banning someone who is being an ass is never frowned upon.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I will say, it was some helpful advice from two guys on a forum years ago that helped me find some success in hunting after a couple year of not seeing a single buck. Nothing specific, mostly stuff like "they are there, don't give up", and "find something more open you can do some glassing in", "I'd try higher early in the season". Encouragement and a few ideas to try. I really appreciated that.

So despite people taking my advice and never returning, I try to help out a new hunter now and then. Because I was that guy once. Not that I have much knowledge to share, but I will try.

It does go a long way when someone can show they are doing their part and putting in the work. Those are the people that I'll choose to help a little. And yeah I did have someone call me an jackass because I wouldn't tell him exactly where I got a certain buck.