Newbies first post. Elk caliber question.

First post on here. Hopefully I’m doing this right. I’m headed to Colorado for an elk hunt this fall. I’m taking my 308 shooting the Barnes 168 grain TSX and my 270 shooting the 145 grain ELDX. Both set ups are shooting very well. With proper shot placement, are these good choices? Thank you in advance.

Either one will work great! The easy part is those rifles. The hard part is finding a bull to use those rifles on. Practice with both and whichever you shoot the best and feel the most comfortable is the one you take. The other can be your back up rifle. If you're in timber under 400 yds I'd lean towards the 308. Good luck and shoot straight. Btw I've killed 6 elk with a 270. 150 grain Nosler Partition's and 140 grain Accubonds. Works like a champ!

OP
Randolph68
I’m going to limit myself to 400 maybe 500 yards depending on how much range time I get. I’ve hunted white tails here in southern missourI for 44 years. Longest shot on an animal is 300 yards. I will take both but won’t know which one will be my primary until later this summer. Thanks for the input. I’m already pumped and ready to go!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m going to limit myself to 400 maybe 500 yards depending on how much range time I get. I’ve hunted white tails here in southern missourI for 44 years. Longest shot on an animal is 300 yards.
I rifle hunted elk for 25 years before switching to archery. My longest shot was maybe 225 yards on a couple dozen elk, all public land. I believe in being proficient and prepared for longer ranges, but you may not necessarily need that depending on what terrain you're hunting. I'm not a fan of the ELD-X, so I'd choose your .308.......but I do love my .270. Most of my elk were killed with a 7mag and Partitions or A-frames.

.308 is perfectly capable. Find a well constructed bullet that shoots good out of your rifle and go with that. I killed my bull in Sep with a .308 shooting 175 grain Federal TA. That gun shoots the 180 grain Federal TBT nearly as well. I bought some 165 grain TBT that I’m going to try out once it warms up outside, mostly because they’re cheaper and available on the shelf in my area.

Im also looking at the 168 grain TMK based on all the info in the 243 vs 25-06 thread. It has a very high BC (.535 I think?) and is devastating on animals in smaller calibers as well as larger rounds.

ccc9092

FNG
Which gun are you most comfortable with and do you shoot the best? Which one has the best optics? Both are more than capable of killing an elk. Personally I love my .270, I’ve killed a lot of game with it and typically it’s easier to find load for it at nearly any store.

Edit: I can’t spell.

both are totally fine. i would shoot the 270 between the 2, but probably splitting hairs. i don't think the Barnes will wow you at 308 speeds outside 400yds, but they won't bounce off either. i wanted to like monos, but just don't love them. i used to love 130gr partitions in the 270, but i also like the 145eldx on paper, i bet it's a good performing bullet in a 270

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
They will both work great. I’ve killed a bunch with 270 and have seen a pile killed with 308, mostly Barnes. 270 is flatter shooting. Shoot booth as much as possible from field positions this year and plan to hunt with the one you’re most accurate with, better scope, lighter, etc. Bring both for one to serve as a backup. Put it in the right spot and punch your tag. Some people will tell you 270 is not adequate - I disagree. Go ahead and read the 243 v 25-06 thread if you’re looking for entertainment and opinions. Some are using 223 with success, but not my preference. I personally don’t take shots over 400 yards at animals. Too many variables (wind, animal movement, adrenaline, etc)

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
First post on here. Hopefully I’m doing this right. I’m headed to Colorado for an elk hunt this fall. I’m taking my 308 shooting the Barnes 168 grain TSX and my 270 shooting the 145 grain ELDX. Both set ups are shooting very well. With proper shot placement, are these good choices? Thank you in advance.
I focus on the .308. With 168 grn and well placed not too distant shot you’ll have dinner on the table.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted elk in Hayden Colorado in 2019… there were 4 people with 308’s in camp that all got elk.
I shot mine with a .270 win using 150 grain ABLR… I think all shots were under 200 yards

Brooks

WKR
I guide elk hunters and last season I had a guy with a .308 with a 168 Nosler Accubond and he killed an elk at 335 yards one shot. Two guys had .270 WSM and Barnes 168 TSX and they both killed elk. One had a 400 yard shot, put it down on the first shot and didn’t want it getting up so he shot it again and one at 380 yards missed twice then hit him the neck, dropped in his tracks.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
hey buddy
I personal prefer to shoot an Elk with 300 WM . that 300 WM will does the job for you, 7LRM is my second choice. and good luck.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
I guide elk hunters and last season I had a guy with a .308 with a 168 Nosler Accubond and he killed an elk at 335 yards one shot. Two guys had .270 WSM and Barnes 168 TSX and they both killed elk. One had a 400 yard shot, put it down on the first shot and didn’t want it getting up so he shot it again and one at 380 yards missed twice then hit him the neck, dropped in his tracks.
you have a outfitter or you work for outfitters?

Austink47

WKR
Shoot which ever you feel the most comfortable with. Think about prone off a back on a steep hill side, or standing against a tree, not a bench.

Marble

WKR
I prefer to shoot elk with long action such as 300 WM or 7 LRM, I just came. Ack from Utah, I have to shoot From the top mountain cross the canyon to the other mountain. I would not bring 308.
This is my hunting groups opinion too. I have killed a bunch of elk in the timber that any rifle would have been well suited to accomplish. But we have killed just as many at ranges between 300-500 yards. The area we hunt has a lot of opportunity for longer shots. So it is common to have those longer shots. We all set our rifles up for those longer shots, making the set up when the opportunity arises faster and less complicated.

Some areas, like where I live, have elk that are in heavier cover. Long shots are unheard of. Any larger caliber rifle would be just fine.

So the simple answer to the original question is hell yes, those calibers are great killing machines. But just as important as what your killing is what will the situation most likely be when you're killing it.

There will be a lot of varied hot opinions on this topic. Everyone will recommend what they have used. So listen, think about it and make a decision.

If you are new to elk hunting, chances are you won't even get an opportunity your first year. It isn't a horrible idea to not worry about it, go hunt with what you've got and evaluate everything before you go spending your hunting money on a new rifle.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk