Newbie’s First Scope, Deer/Elk in the West Leupold Freedom VX 3-9x40?

I’m putting a scope on my first hunting rifle, a Remington 700 chambered in 308. I’ll be hunting deer and possibly elk or moose in the West, so Rocky Mountains and Utah high desert. I was thinking of getting the Leupold VX-FREEDOM 3-9X40 CDS TRI-MOA Part #180603, mostly because I can get it new for $315. I’m a total newbie though, and honestly don’t know much about scopes except $315 is in my price range and people like Leupold. Is this a good first scope? Is the magnification good or should I get a 4-12? It’ll probably be my only scope for several years FWIW.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leupold makes a good scope….the question I would ask is why do you want cds on it? What is your plan for shooting distance accuracy ? Most of us do not need cds as an option….

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I have that scope on a browning 308, it works just fine, before that was a leupold 2-7x33 and that worked fine also.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look to other leupold scopes if cds are not something needed….as a new hunter simplicity in many phases will assist towards success and enjoyment of hunting🤙

Jethro

WKR
It’s not easy to find leupolds in stock that match a buyers desired specs exactly. I wouldn’t let having cds be the deciding factor not to buy it even if you have no desire to dial distance.

eric1115

WKR
What is your personality like? Are you the kind of guy who geeks out about details and processes and always looking to improve?

Do you have hopes of learning to shoot long range, or do you see yourself getting proficient at 200-300 yards and calling it good?

Do you see yourself really enjoying shooting, practicing throughout the year? Or do you think you'll be more of a "shoot one box of ammo before hunting season to check the rifle and dust off the cobwebs" sort of shooter?

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
There was an article regarding the use of dials for hunting. Summary: it's a waste of money since most animals aren't sitting around waiting for you to range, adjust your dials, and fire.
As stated, go with higher magnification and get good at shooting before being tacticool.

OP
G
What is your personality like? Are you the kind of guy who geeks out about details and processes and always looking to improve?

Do you have hopes of learning to shoot long range, or do you see yourself getting proficient at 200-300 yards and calling it good?

Do you see yourself really enjoying shooting, practicing throughout the year? Or do you think you'll be more of a "shoot one box of ammo before hunting season to check the rifle and dust off the cobwebs" sort of shooter?
That’s tricky to answer! I’m about as gadget and modification-oriented as can be when I really get into something. You should see my Jeep project lol. Then again, when I take it camping, I just want it to work, end of story. Hurtful words will be spoken if it breaks down, but I don’t mind using all 3 shifters as needed.

Realistically, I’ll probably be the “shoot a box before hunting season” type unless I end up really getting sucked into it.

craigrh13

FNG
I have the CDS dial on my VX3-HD. I didn’t buy it because of that. More so for the optics. Whether I actually use it or not we will see. It works great at the range so far. I only shoot whitetail here in Michigan. So long range isn’t necessary.

eric1115

WKR
I think I'm tracking with you.

This would be a worthy upgrade, as the locking elevation turret is less prone to accidental movement, and better dialing performance when/if you decide to get a rangefinder and learn to shoot further. The Freedom is not bad, but the 3 is definitely a solid step up.

Antares

WKR
There was an article regarding the use of dials for hunting. Summary: it's a waste of money since most animals aren't sitting around waiting for you to range, adjust your dials, and fire.
As stated, go with higher magnification and get good at shooting before being tacticool.

What is this nonsense? Was the article in Michigan Tree Stand Hunting Quarterly?

I’m sure it’ll work for you, especially if you are starting out and don’t need to try to kill stuff at crazy yardage or shoot in competitions.

I have a (much older/worse) Leupold 3-9 x 40 scope atop a similarly chambered rifle. Works fine. But I don’t hunt very open country and most of my shots are under 200 yds.

is it a good value? are there better options at your price? do you need the ability to dial for distance? IDK, sorry

I would opt for the 4x12. Being able to dial is not a bad thing if within your budget. I got my son a 4.5x14x40 vx3 and it is a pretty nice scope. It could be worth looking used or waiting just a little longer if you can. It could be cheaper in the long run. I am a 1 rifle kinda guy however on my 3rd scope (finally done!).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
If you do get the CDS, just get a turret that is marked for your MOA clicks and has the zero stop. Then you will never have to get another turret and a free ballistics app will tell you how to adjust.

cmahoney

WKR

I disagree with this. What magazine article was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall wouldn’t reccomend the VX freedom. I can’t say I’ve ever had one but I personally would be concerned about it holding zero at that price point. I have had very good luck with the VX-3 over the years but have not used them to dial which some people say they do not return to zero well. I was not impressed with the Leopold rifleman. I do have a couple VX2s that are about 20 years old but very good scopes for non dialing , they are on light recoil guns though.

if you are going to dial, I would look at scopes above the VX3 personally, but these start getting expensive.

the honest answer is until about 400-500 yards no real need to dial. In addition without 500+ rounds a year I would be very hesitant to shoot farther than that. There are a lot of calibers that can be within kill radius shooting high but hold directly on at 100 that are still hold on animal (high up or top of back at 400)

Antares

WKR
Hang on now, @Justinjs. Let's try to focus on one argument at a time.

There are a lot of types of hunting. If you're busting brush with a .30-30. The above statement is probably more true than not. However, I hunt open country and generally have plenty of time. I've shot lots of animals that were bedded at over 400 yards when I spotted them. You have plenty of time to range and dial, too much time sometimes... After 30-40 minutes lying on the rifle I'm usually like "OK dude, time to stand up. I'm getting bored here."

So, I was poking fun at Michigan because that may be a true statement if your hunting close stuff, but it's absolute nonsense for a lot of the west. Further, if you want to make a big generic statements based on "there was an article," get out in front of the criticism next time and link the article.

It's only going to be accurate for one bullet. It's for range queens.

No one in this thread has said anything about having custom turrets cut (at the time you posted this comment). Leupold CDS scopes come with a standard MOA turret, custom turrets can be ordered if you wish to do so. I agree with you that custom turrets are limiting, but that's not what's being discussed here. I don't have any custom turrets even though I have several unredeemed codes. I use MOA turrets and drop charts, it's an unlimitedly flexible system, if you have the time...and I do.

You can simply not prefer a scope with an exposed turret, many people would agree with you. Heck, I don't like an exposed windage turret on a hunting rifle, so look at that, we're halfway to agreeing. Some people like reticle subtensions, some people like zeroing for MPBR, and some people like dialing...it's all good. It's mostly just your hyperbole that I'm pushing back on here.

Cheers!

Last edited: