Newbs Guided Elk hunt guide (on mostly public land)

Okay so I say this is for public land mostly and as a ranch hunt is a different beast in many ways. This is my advice based upon as a client for anyone doing an guided elk hunt in a very mountainous area such as NW Montana for a base. This obviously applies to diy too. These have been what I found to be the most important factors in your ability to be successful.

1. Fitness- nothing else comes close to this as as being the number 1 limiting factor on finding elk and getting in position for a shoot quickly. Many of the guided hunts i have been on by day 3 most of the guys can't get out of bed and sleep in instead of out hunting. They almost all end up sitting in a ground blind by day 6.

2. Shooting- There us two ends of the spectrum here. Don't show up with 10k custom rifle that has been tested to 1200 yards but the builder for you to shoot it the first time at the camp range. But also don't show up with your grandpas pump 30-06 and the scope mounted backwards. Choose a good caliber and put the best scope you can reasonably afford on it. Alot of shots are at last light and you want to be able to see the animal. The guy with his modest rifle that he knows like the back of his had and the ballistics is always going to fair better than the previous two examples. Same goes for archery. I have seen guys pull arrows from a box and a hand full o broad heads and ask the guide what to use. Practice makes prefect and know your tackle.

3. Boots- Your hunt begins and ends on your feet. have a good pair of broken in boots that fit. nothing stops you faster than blisters from hiking all day to find animals.

4. Mentality- know that your hunting public land with a guide and most likely success rates are less than 10 percent. You booked the outfitter to increase your odds which but know the above three factors are the 3 physical things that will stop you from getting your elk. The last is when you finally see the vast wilderness your in and wanting to call it quits. If you go into the hunt knowing you most likely wont get the animal your after yo will have a far better experience and be much more appreciative of the outcome. If you want to quit just go to bed and say you will tomorrow. odds are you will wake up ready to go the next day.

5. Emergency C- these immune system packets are critical and need to be taken the weeks leading to your hunt and for the duration. I've seen a few camps all come down sick because germs are being brought from around the whole country. spend the 20 buck and call it insurance on a 6k hunt.

6. Clothing- Most people get caught up in this but the simple truth is stuff that is quite and warm like wool will do you just fine. you can show up in a full Sitka setup only to see the guide wearing a cotton hoody. I for sure nerd out over gear and I'm a bit consumed with finding the perfect softshell jacket but all of this is irrelevant. On a horse back hunt i did the guide wore jeans the whole time. By no means do you want to ruin a hunt but there is very few places someone can hunt in the lower 48 they aren't 3-5 hours away from the truck at all times.

This is all just what I have seen or personally done wrong that has virtually given zero chances of success. if you happen to read this before you go on your rifle hunt this fall. Get in the absolute best shape you can without hurting yourself and shoot your weapon as much as you can. The simple fact is also if your dieing for oxygen following the guide you will begin to resent him and the hunt and it won't be the once in a lifetime experience your hoping for.

Well the first mistake was choosing Northwest Montana. That region has been in terrible shape for years.