Newer "Active Insulation" vs Fleece + Wind Shirt

Lawnboi

WKR
@mtwarden

Keep us updated on the Sitka arrowhead jacket durability. I don’t have an issue spending the money if it lasts a while, but if it’s another 2-3 year throw away synthetic puffy that loses its loft I can’t stomach the price.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden

Keep us updated on the Sitka arrowhead jacket durability. I don’t have an issue spending the money if it lasts a while, but if it’s another 2-3 year throw away synthetic puffy that loses its loft I can’t stomach the price.

with Alpha direct I don't think loft degradation is going to be an issue- it's more like a fuzzy fleece

the outer fabric on the Arrowhead, time will tell- so far, so good :)

I’m diving down the deep rabbit hole of this subject and this thread has been great to read. My issue is I’m trying to find best wide range in one or 2 pieces for backpack hunting. For instance last year during an august high country mule deer hunt I was hiking with pack on spotted bucks and dropped pack and only grabbed a grid fleece over a core Lt weight hoody. 50 degree morning with a strong wing 20mph. I got pinned down for awhile and was freezing in that grid fleece obviously due to zero wind resistance.

My question is do you think a non grid fleece with smooth face such as a KUIU Strongfleece 260 is a good happy medium between active insulation and grid fleece? The year before I used the Strongfleece and was in a similar situation and it resisted wind a little bit better than grid fleece and has a higher loft of fleece and kept me a little bit warmer. I’m considering going back and the only reason I went away from it was I’m not 100% happy with the fit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't speak to the Strongfleece, BUT grid is going to breathe a lot better- my opinion is just add a windshirt- packs to nothing and weighs 4-9 oz depending on brand, can also be utilized over a puffy or just a base layer

it's the most used garment in my lineup- year round!

jd1006

WKR
For versatility—I think the peloton 240 in either a vest or jacket is always in my pack. The wind shirt ( I use the Alpine Start) is with me on nonhunting, but they just aren’t that quiet. I can do a lot with a Peloton 240 combined with some layering. I always have a puffy with for sitting (Kelvin WS if really cold, lighter REI Stormhenge for all else).

The one jacket that is causing me to rethink a bit is the new Proton FL from Arcteryx. I haven’t tried it out yet on high output, 35+. It was great as a midlayer under a softshell down to below 0 in the few hikes I used it. It’s very quiet for an outer fabric, and it moves moisture very well. I’m just wondering how fast I heat up in it on warmer temp ranges.

The other that I use a lot when I know I’ll be going throw brush is the discontinue Kuiu Kutana Hybrid Jacket. Strong Fleece in the Arms and Back, 3DeFX in the front, it’s a nice amount of insulation, quiet, and durable.