Newer full sized pickup truck experiences?

So, here in the next 6 or so weeks we'll be adding another little one to the family. I currently drive a Colorado Crew Cab, and while I have zero complaints, I gotta say its a little cramped as it is... and I know adding another kid is only gonna make that issue worse.

I could buy a shell for the truck and keep running it... but there's also the matter of having access to a camper that's right at the weight limit for the truck I have now. Should I want to use it, I'm gonna have to borrow someone else's truck to pull it more than likely.

In any case, I'm on the lookout(but in no rush) for something 2017 or newer, full sized pickup. I won't be buying diesel.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 - seems these get so-so reviews. A lot of people complaining about the interior and some other issues. If I bought one, it would be the V8.

Ford F150 - Coming from Chevrolets, I'm really curious about this one. Seems the tow capacity is a bit on the lower end. My only hang up is that most of the used ones floating around have the 10 speed - seems like some people have great luck with it, while other people can't keep the things on the road. If I bought one, again I'd probably go V8. I see the ecoboosts get good reviews, but the longevity with the turbos scares me.

Ram 1500/Toyota Tundra - I put these in the same category because I'm unfamiliar with each of these, but I'm willing to give them a shot. The Toyota is probably bomb-proof, but they're pretty proud of them. The Ram, seems like its hit or miss, with electrical issues being the top complaint. I'd love to hear about your Ram experience - is the Hemi your best bet outside the Cummins?

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the above, 2017 or newer? Care to elaborate? As far as the Ford goes, even if you don't have experience with the V8, if you have experience with the 10 speed I'd like to hear about it. I'm just looking for something reliable above everything else. I don't care about flashiness, or many creature comforts. As long as its got cruise control, and gets me in/out of the woods in one piece not on a tow truck I'm good.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
J
You want something rock solid reliable and you aren’t worried about flashiness or creature comforts?
you just described a tundra
The Tundras I've seen, at least 2017 or newer, start at the top of my budget. I'm not against them at all otherwise!

I’ll never buy a truck again that doesn’t have lockers. Hands down the best feature out there. My ‘16 power wagon has been absolutely bomber the last two years I’ve had it. I’ve been driving it around in the crap all day without a single worry.
9ee5ff576ffdf2291d83bbad6686d2b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
Old lady bought a Tundra in 19 and it's fantastic. It may lack in the bells and whistle department and fuel mileage, but it's an honest truck.

TheGDog

WKR
I got an F-150 SuperCrew. Came from having a Explorer SportTrac so definitely feel you on the cramped thing. The F-150 has THEE biggest backseat area of them all! I freaking LOVE all the room back there! Now I can fit my huge YETI in that backseat area and don't have to worry about some a-hole potentially stealing my cooler locked with a thick cable to the bed. Was always a worry I had before. The Broke-n-Po mofos are scandalous out here in LA/OC.

Mines just 2WD as I don't realistically see myself wanting to take is someplace crazy far back in their offroad, that's what my boots are for. It's V6 and gets with it just fine.

I'd just mention that you don't want to get a color like mine, get something more camo-related like grey or beige or white even. This thing sticks out like a sore thumb when you're in OpenCountry. I have to make sure to hide it as best I can with the parking spot I choose. Hoping the predators uphill from me won't look down when the sun comes up and see it and leave the area. It's somewhat of a pressured area sometimes.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said 2017 or newer. This is a 2014 I bought used in 2018 with only 32K on it! Towing wasn't really part of my plans. We only have 1 kid. Plus I would NOT want to be stuck only going slow in the right 2 lanes only. I don't have the patience for that.
132260428_396303161462794_6213660899435216897_o.jpg

Last edited:
All I will say is you definitely will want a full size truck with the bigger family. Don;t get a quad cab or whatever chevy calls their half cab either they're just as small as a mid size in the back. maybe there's some leftover 2020 f150s still on the lot you can get a deal on.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
This will top your budget but it also blew out all of our expectations so worth mentioning. After decades of purely Chevrolet, we replaced an 8.1 Yukon XL 2500 with F-350 diesel w Tremor package. It is HUGE but we also got 21.8 mpg last weekend and it drives like a dream. Bye bye Chevrolet, you don’t make them like you used to. 10 speed tranny, no complaints. And we looked hard at all the choices, 1500 series GM and others.

if I was going gas, Tundra all the way on engine build quality. The f-150 eco boost has had some issues with friends trucks.

11boo

WKR
My first Toyota, you are correct $$$. Worth it, I’m only two weeks in so I say maybe. My old GMC was decent, but falling apart. Seems legit, we’ll see.
953F09EF-ED8C-4C66-B16F-50663A44C68C.jpeg

Lowg08

WKR
My wife has a 2019 Silverado. They took 6” from the bed and added to the cab. It has enough room for 3 kids in the back all
Our luggage for vacation under the seats. It rides like a cloud. No road noise. It’s snazzy. I drive a crew cab Colorado and while we take it places and we all
Fit and can ride but not like the Silverado

Do you need a truck? Just asking if the bed is something you will actually use. I have had a Tahoe for 15 years and will never buy a truck. Always had one before and thought I needed it. I have a utility trailer if I need to haul something that won’t fit in the back, but that never really happens. Mine seats 9 and I have had that many in there more than Incan count. Also nice not worrying about someone just taking something out of the bed when parked. I can sleep in it and do t worry about my gear getting wet. It has been amazing and also has been to just about every state in the Union, except for the North East. Just something to think about.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
This probably depends on where you are at, but in Michigan the biggest knock against Toyota would be cost of parts/repair and availability.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I am following because I am in the same boat. Looking to trade in the wife's Chevy Trax for something with room now that we have a kid and leaning truck to make it easier for me to go kayaking to other lakes.

From talking to my friends with kids you definitely NEED the crew cab to fit the newer style car seats. Edmunds/Consumer reports say this latest gen Silverado takes third place so I have been looking at a used F150 or Ram 1500. Basically the Ram has the best interior and is more updated but they are also more known for quality issues. The F150 is the most basic interior but they run and if they don't they are the most common vehicle ever sold so parts/shops working on them are easy to find. Everyone on here says Tundra but those are out of my price range and I am looking to buy american as some business meetings with the Big 3 sales wont let me drive my Subaru to lol.

BluMtn

WKR
If you want comfortable seating for 5 large adults then you want the Crewmax Tundra. Same for putting kids in car seats. The rear seat area in the Tundra is large. My 13 Tundra Crewmax had sliders on the rear seats. The thing about a Toyota is you will pay more up front but they hold there value. Another thing that I really liked about my Tundra over my current pickup is that the Heater and air-conditioner in the Toyota's are awesome. Of the 1/2 ton pickups the Tundra is my favorite.

Felix40

WKR
My work has bought ford, Chevy, then dodge trucks for guys the last three years. I’ve driven all of them and have some thoughts.

Even though I love my personal 05 chevy with 250,000 miles, the new ones seem to be built poorly. Everyone with them is in and out of the shop getting the throttle body sensor cleaned out after going off road. The interiors are falling apart very quickly, they are underpowered. The ride is good and the steps in the back bumper are nice but I wouldn’t own one.

I don’t know much about the fords except everyone is happy with them overall. The back seat is big and nice. The ecoboost is absolutely awesome to drive. Pulling a trailer up hill at 8,000ft you can still pass other cars easily.

I just got a ram and it’s twice the truck my previous 2015 Chevy was. Lots of power, bigger back seat, smoother at highway speed, and handles corners better. No idea on longevity since it’s still pretty new. If I was going to buy one of the three it would be the ram.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone on here says Tundra but those are out of my price range and I am looking to buy american as some business meetings with the Big 3 sales wont let me drive my Subaru to lol.
If you do the research tundra is actually one of the most American trucks. They are assembled in Texas. When I was doing my research a few years ago tundra tied with Ford for #1 on the %American made scale

Just went thru thus...awaiting delivery of my F250 with 7.3 gas. Spent a year comparing trucks...The Tundra was in the running running up to the end but the gas mileage vs payload is horrible...I should get a couple miles more per gallon with the F250 with better payload and towing than a Tundra. 15ish mpg in the F250 vs 13ish in the Tundra based on reviews. Few of my buddies that have Tundras said they would love to get 13mpg..said its more like 12mpg..Few more creature comforts on the inside of the Ford too...My truck is scheduled for delivery in June..interested to test myself and see if the reviews I have been reading hold up. Good Luck in your search.