Newer full sized pickup truck experiences?

bowmanch

FNG
So, here in the next 6 or so weeks we'll be adding another little one to the family. I currently drive a Colorado Crew Cab, and while I have zero complaints, I gotta say its a little cramped as it is... and I know adding another kid is only gonna make that issue worse.

I could buy a shell for the truck and keep running it... but there's also the matter of having access to a camper that's right at the weight limit for the truck I have now. Should I want to use it, I'm gonna have to borrow someone else's truck to pull it more than likely.

In any case, I'm on the lookout(but in no rush) for something 2017 or newer, full sized pickup. I won't be buying diesel.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 - seems these get so-so reviews. A lot of people complaining about the interior and some other issues. If I bought one, it would be the V8.

Ford F150 - Coming from Chevrolets, I'm really curious about this one. Seems the tow capacity is a bit on the lower end. My only hang up is that most of the used ones floating around have the 10 speed - seems like some people have great luck with it, while other people can't keep the things on the road. If I bought one, again I'd probably go V8. I see the ecoboosts get good reviews, but the longevity with the turbos scares me.

Ram 1500/Toyota Tundra - I put these in the same category because I'm unfamiliar with each of these, but I'm willing to give them a shot. The Toyota is probably bomb-proof, but they're pretty proud of them. The Ram, seems like its hit or miss, with electrical issues being the top complaint. I'd love to hear about your Ram experience - is the Hemi your best bet outside the Cummins?

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the above, 2017 or newer? Care to elaborate? As far as the Ford goes, even if you don't have experience with the V8, if you have experience with the 10 speed I'd like to hear about it. I'm just looking for something reliable above everything else. I don't care about flashiness, or many creature comforts. As long as its got cruise control, and gets me in/out of the woods in one piece not on a tow truck I'm good.

Thanks in advance.
If you are buying used, the GM trucks would be a NO GO for me. The active fuel management motors don't last that are in the 1/2 tons. The only GM I would look at is a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 motor.

Heard Costco SC that program.

End of calendar year or FY? I swear they are rolling out 2023 models already to the lots. Just not at all up on new vehicles
You sure? When i Google it, it still looks like a thing they're doing and dont see anything about it ending

Maybe I read that a month ago on a Finance/Stock report new ticker. I check the Costco site and did some the option for both New and Used purchase. Seems I misspoke, My bad.

Ford always seems to have employee pricing for everyone in August. I ordered both my F150 and F350 and took August deliveries for that reason and a huge discount to sticker. The F350 was the next years model and the F150 was the current year model...so that did not seem to affect the discount. Would be something to ask the dealer about. I was dealing directly with the fleet manager and he was great about cluing me in on that.

TexasCub

WKR
Ford used to offer some pretty good deals a couple times a year, but the last few years their rebates combined with dealer discounts have been pretty skimpy.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned all brands except the Toyota. I recently sold my 2016 F150 and bought a F250 with Tremor package with 7.3 gas engine. Unreal truck!

I would consider a GM product if anyone at GM would 100% guarantee that one of the front running lights would not go out within a year! That drove me nuts.

With respect to Ford. I’ve had 6 F150’s. Both V8 and 3.5 eco boost. The Eco boost is far & away better. More power, more speed and about the same gas mileage. The interior room and comfort outshines the other brands IMO. I never had engine or tranny issues with either but I also sold them when they hit right at 100k miles.

It’s a fun decision you have to make. One comment I saw from a power wagon guy is spot on. Having a 4x4 with lockers is very important if you are even doing half ass serious off roading. The new tremor has lockers.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Buy once, cry once.

My 2015 5.7 has been bulletproof. They're dropping the 5.7 for the 2022 model year in favor of a 3.5 supercharged 6 cylinder. The 5.7s are going to get even more expensive.
It’s not as simple as “buy once cry once” when there’s at least 7k difference between the Toyota and big 3 used. At least where I live, I’m approaching diesel territory with the Toyota price. I’m sure they’re worth it, but I’m not interested in financing a truck for the next 9 years to make it affordable.

I’ve owned all brands except the Toyota. I recently sold my 2016 F150 and bought a F250 with Tremor package with 7.3 gas engine. Unreal truck!

I would consider a GM product if anyone at GM would 100% guarantee that one of the front running lights would not go out within a year! That drove me nuts.

With respect to Ford. I’ve had 6 F150’s. Both V8 and 3.5 eco boost. The Eco boost is far & away better. More power, more speed and about the same gas mileage. The interior room and comfort outshines the other brands IMO. I never had engine or tranny issues with either but I also sold them when they hit right at 100k miles.

It’s a fun decision you have to make. One comment I saw from a power wagon guy is spot on. Having a 4x4 with lockers is very important if you are even doing half ass serious off roading. The new tremor has lockers.

Good luck

My biggest concern is longevity - between daily driving it to work and back(80-ish miles round trip at the moment) and hunting/fishing/family trips I tend to rack up a lot of miles. Having something that’s gonna fall apart at 125k isn’t really an option. I need something that will last into the 200s without costing an arm and a leg to do so.

I know I know, “Toyota”. I guess it’s the difference between financing that cost up front or paying for it in the end.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not as simple as “buy once cry once” when there’s at least 7k difference between the Toyota and big 3 used. At least where I live, I’m approaching diesel territory with the Toyota price. I’m sure they’re worth it, but I’m not interested in financing a truck for the next 9 years to make it affordable.

My biggest concern is longevity - between daily driving it to work and back(80-ish miles round trip at the moment) and hunting/fishing/family trips I tend to rack up a lot of miles. Having something that’s gonna fall apart at 125k isn’t really an option. I need something that will last into the 200s without costing an arm and a leg to do so.

I know I know, “Toyota”. I guess it’s the difference between financing that cost up front or paying for it in the end.
Have you looked at the ram eco diesel?
They get decent reviews, good mpg and according to some automotive journals it's the ONLY diesel that actually makes the price point pay for itself. I don't own one but lots of people love them. Also, what's your budget??

Reactions: ZDR

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the ram eco diesel?
They get decent reviews, good mpg and according to some automotive journals it's the ONLY diesel that actually makes the price point pay for itself. I don't own one but lots of people love them. Also, what's your budget??
IMG_3293.JPEG

I had a 2015 RAM 1500 Limited w/ an EcoDiesel. What an awesome truck! It will probably be my favorite truck of my life...literally. I could get 27-28 mpg on the freeway. No BS! It was just an absolutey gorgeous truck inside and out.

This pic is after it was 3 years old with 80,000 miles on it. I still miss it.

My 2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ the 5.7 HEMI is parked behind it.

I had to move up to a full size truck for the same reason as you. Our family ended up outgrowing our truck.
There’s times that I’ve considered trading my truck in for a Suburban 4x4, but I just can’t make myself pull the trigger.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 274808

I had a 2015 RAM 1500 Limited w/ an EcoDiesel. What an awesome truck! It will probably be my favorite truck of my life...literally. I could get 27-28 mpg on the freeway. No BS! It was just an absolutey gorgeous truck inside and out.

This pic is after it was 3 years old with 80,000 miles on it. I still miss it.

My 2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ the 5.7 HEMI is parked behind it.
They do look really nice and don't ever seem terribly priced. Although, not a Cummins, it's still appear to be a reliable diesel.

Good luck

Tremor package has e locker in rear...still just limited slip diff in the front. Which makes sense...I have ARBs lockers in my Jeep trying to steer with front locked is a PIA.

I have a May 10th build date for my F250 Tremor 7.3...then has to go another factory for spray in bedliner and winch install before delivery..June can't come quick enough..but after 11 yrs with my Expedition a few months is no bid deal.

OP
J
I had to move up to a full size truck for the same reason as you. Our family ended up outgrowing our truck.
There’s times that I’ve considered trading my truck in for a Suburban 4x4, but I just can’t make myself pull the trigger.
Im not against a suburban, but at the same time I'm not the least bit enthusiastic about it either. It just doesn't appeal to me - same with the Expeditions, or any SUV for that matter. I like being able to keep dirty stuff outside... worrying about blood/cooler/etc leaking in the cab isn't for me. I know you can buy bins, mats and stuff to protect against it, it just seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Also, what's your budget??
I'm trying my damnedest to keep it under 40k.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Im not against a suburban, but at the same time I'm not the least bit enthusiastic about it either. It just doesn't appeal to me - same with the Expeditions, or any SUV for that matter. I like being able to keep dirty stuff outside... worrying about blood/cooler/etc leaking in the cab isn't for me. I know you can buy bins, mats and stuff to protect against it, it just seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

You could probably get a new one. Msrp on the big three mean almost zilch. But that's a nice budget for used as well.

OP
J
You could probably get a new one. Msrp on the big three mean almost zilch. But that's a nice budget for used as well.
I don't know where you're from, but here(Seattle/Tacoma, WA area) if you're not willing to pay whatever the dealer asks don't worry because the idiot that walks in after you will willingly pay MSRP.

You should see our real estate market - house lists for 350k, you better offer 15k over to be competitive o_O

pk_

WKR
I bought a Tundra new in 2013 (same drivetrain as 2017+)and it has been the only full size truck that the longer I own it the more I love it.

I have done some semi-serious off-roading and have first hand experience wrenching on, fixing and retrieving disabled/stuck vehicles of all makes. Having those experiences there is not another 1/2 ton truck I would trade mine for on the market (if we are talking in terms of capability/reliability).

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

You might want to consider a "gently used" truck.

I bought this the summer of 2019 for $38,500 from a dealer. It's a 2017 2500 crew cab, 8' bed, with a Cummins Turbo Diesel and it had 35,000 miles on it. It's a monster. I put the tires and rims on it recently. It seems like the price of used autos has increased a fair amount since then though.

Attachments

• IMG_9022.JPEG
    IMG_9022.JPEG
    568.1 KB · Views: 28

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know where you're from, but here(Seattle/Tacoma, WA area) if you're not willing to pay whatever the dealer asks don't worry because the idiot that walks in after you will willingly pay MSRP.

You should see our real estate market - house lists for 350k, you better offer 15k over to be competitive o_O

That's just crazy! Both for the autos and for homes.