Newer Horn Hunter Full Curl reviews

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Hello All,

I’m a Midwest white tail public land hunter. I previously had a horn hunter full curl combo pack which was almost perfect for my Short DIY hunts on public land in the Midwest. I found the built in meat shelf and batwing design would comfortably and securely hold all of my gear (sticks, saddle, saddle platform, saddle, layers, etc.) and the removable daypack was perfect for hoisting into the tree. However I had one major issue and that is the straps would begin to chafe and start squeaking/creaking rather loudly after about 10-15 minutes of hiking. It got so bad I eventually had to get rid of the pack.

Now I have been in contact with the owner of horn hunter and they have mentioned that occasionally the foam padding or even fabric material has issues from time to time. They have made a gracious offer for a new pack but I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on another one.

My question is: does anyone have experience with their full curl packs 2018 or newer and can you comment about any noise from the straps or padding?

Also, feel free to recommend a similar setup. I briefly owned a MR PopUp 18 which would have been perfect except the belt is just a hair too small for me (size 40W). Is it worth looking into a kifaru pack? I’m not opposed to spending the money but also hard for me to justify $500+ when I only hike a mile or two into my spots.

Thanks,
d_rek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I used one a long time ago, the new ones I have just handled in the store and the strap material they use seems stiff and much different than most other pack manufacturers. They are nice packs for the price but I would expect the same issues. That was the main thing about it that I did not like when I looked at them.

OP
D

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I used one a long time ago, the new ones I have just handled in the store and the strap material they use seems stiff and much different than most other pack manufacturers. They are nice packs for the price but I would expect the same issues. That was the main thing about it that I did not like when I looked at them.

Thanks for the reply!

Kind of torn on which route to go now. The design of that pack is perfect but I don’t want to risk having it be a lemon again.

Is there anything you can recommend from kifaru, mystery ranch, or stone glacier? Kind of have my eyes on a few different things.

I need something that can haul hunting gear and deal with Midwest brush busting and forestry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I once had an older horn hunter pack as you talk about. I liked the overall layout design as you mentioned. Here's what I'd recommend if you're wanting something a little nicer, but pretty much keeps the same design: kifaru with nomad, native, and grab it. I just got mine so I don't have the time with it yet, but the set up is very similar. Certainly more expensive but so far it seems worth it.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a MR pintler last year for a western mule deer hunt and for whitetail. Great pack and will carry heavy loads awesome. Can’t go wrong with anything from them. I didn’t care for the trizip on the pintler because of the way the top straps interfere with getting into the bag. The new sawtooth looks to fix that.

I just ordered a kifaru 44mag, really like the layout of that one.

If you’re not hauling more than sticks and a platform eberlestock is another good option at a lower price range or even something from badlands

OP
D

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I once had an older horn hunter pack as you talk about. I liked the overall layout design as you mentioned. Here's what I'd recommend if you're wanting something a little nicer, but pretty much keeps the same design: kifaru with nomad, native, and grab it. I just got mine so I don't have the time with it yet, but the set up is very similar. Certainly more expensive but so far it seems worth it.

I've been staring at kifaru stuff all weekend. I think a cargo panel, guide lid or native, and a grab it would just about make the perfect gear hauling setup., and probably pack out a half deer or more if needed. Have to still call and get a recommendation on a frame and sizing though.

Had a 2016 or 2017 HHFC (got it for almost free) that had hundreds of miles on it with no squeaking. I used it for training and some other hunts where a conventional pack wasn't necessary. Something "similar" would be an MR Cabinet. The FC's belt swap with kifaru was an absolute game changer as well. If I was on a tighter budget, I'd run a HHFC with zero hesitation. It was refreshing to see a pack in that price range be completely functional (load lifter, frame adjustment, etc...)I've since gotten rid of it (trying to de-clutter my stuff, hunting included) but not because it was worn out or faulty. I just had/have better options in the arsenal.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Iv put hundreds of miles on my 2016 horn hunter it’s still a great pack but Iv upgraded to Kifaru my youngest boy still rocks that old horn hunter though! I would think if looking at Kifaru a shape charge or eastern ruck might be nice for you.

I've run the cargo net and panel, both on kifaru hunter frames and, the new lite frame doing exactly what you describe. I prefer the cargo net for that application. Both work but, the net works better once you get gear and a deer in there. I've used their packs to sandwich all that stuff in the meat shelf too. My best advice would be to run a cargo net over a 22 mag bag. Or, a custom bag from pods 8 like I do. I use both but for tree stand hunting, the custom bag is laid out better for me. Anyways, point is to keep your tree gear in the net and, your layers and hunting gear in the bag. Makes is easier to organize..

When you kill, if you are coming out in one trip, put the meat bone in and, your tree gear in the shelf, then cinch down with the net. Then strap the bag on over top. Basically opposite of how you carry it in. The stand and climbing sticks won't weigh enough to foul you up being over top of the bag when going in. And, it is so much quicker and easier doing it like that because the net won't cinch totally tight to the frame with nothing in it. So, the bulk of the bag between the tree gear and frame will ensure it stays rock solid during the hike in. Just reverse the order and put meat and tree gear in the net against the frame on the way out.

That's been my experience. And, don't fool yourself. A whole de-boned deer, plus tree and hunting gear will rival any pack load carried by elk hunters. And, two miles loaded like that is more then enough to justify any amount of money a Kifaru rig costs. You'll be happy you did after doing it. That's not saying the HH or others won't work. They did for me. Just not as well. Good luck and God Bless