Newfoundland-Effords or moose valley outfitters?

JES

FNG
Those are some great moose from last year, I am hoping to book an archery moose hunt for end of September 2020.

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Fellas....here's a link to a video of my trip, it's a bit long but i tried to capture all aspects of the trip. I also have a separate gear list video on my youtube page.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. The concern i had weeks before the trip due to the little contact I’d had with my outfitter faded when i got into deer lake and found that they had called the hotel and left a message for my group of our departure time the next morning. When we arrived at Peter Strides Pond for the float plane departure, it was a bit hectic, but Bob was calm and collected, and it showed that he had everything under control.

When we arrived at camp, our guides where already there and it seems like they pair a very experienced guide with one that has a bit less...not that it matters a whole lot because once one fills his tag, both can concentrate on filling the other tag. Our guides where Tyler and FX (Francois Xavier) and were both excellent. We did the trophy hunt so it was 1X1 with 2 hunters and 2 guides per camp.

The terrain was extremely difficult, and you need to be in really good shape to have the best chances of harvesting a nice bull. We put in almost 12 miles in the first day and if I hadn’t been prepared we wouldn’t have made it to the bulls. Imagine walking on wet sponges that sink down 4-8 inches with every step, and then holes (which you cant seen) scattered everywhere in between. These wholes can be anywhere from 12” to 3’ deep and are covered by greenery making it very difficult to see. If you get tired and stop paying close attention, it’d be very easy to get a high ankle sprain or break your leg. I went thigh deep almost 3 times a day, and I’m in pretty good shape. We learned quickly that the key to not injuring yourself is to go with fall and not to fight it. It takes a ton of energy to pull yourself up off the ground when you have a pack on, but its better than ending your trip early. Not all camps are this way, but I think the good remote ones require a good bit of hiking everyday. It also depends on your guide, as I’d heard that some of the guides may not be interested in putting in that much effort, so just be clear when you’re booking it.

The food was great (for being a remote wilderness camp) and bunks were easily to sleep on as they had inches of foam or cushions. I know I’ve left a ton out, but hopefully the video will fill in the gaps. Pm me if you want more info.

bartman9

FNG
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I have watched tons of videos on hunting moose in Newfoundland, but this is the first that really showed what it was like (the terrain and hiking around). Can't wait for mine in 2020!

Couple of questions for you... how was it packing out all the meat? What caliber where you guys shooting?

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I have watched tons of videos on hunting moose in Newfoundland, but this is the first that really showed what it was like (the terrain and hiking around). Can't wait for mine in 2020!

Couple of questions for you... how was it packing out all the meat? What caliber where you guys shooting?

thanks. We were both shooting the same caliber, 300 wsm with 165 barnes TTSX. Packing the meat wasn't terrible as our outfitter had a helicopter to pick it up. We just had to hike it to a place where they could land, which was only several hundred yards from where we shot. Each moose was about 6 bags of meat, each weighing approx 70 lbs on average, so it was tough but easy compared to my diy trips elk and deer hunting out west. It has made me re-think my 2021 diy moose trip to AK though.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I see that you guys had you back packs with you. Did Air Canada make you check them or use as carry on ?

FSUHUNTER

FNG
I see that you guys had you back packs with you. Did Air Canada make you check them or use as carry on ?

We were able to carry them on, but kept them minimally packed. Be ready to be squashed on air canada, seats have literally no leg room, planes were old with no monitors or wifi (at least on 4 of the 5 flights we took), and service was poor/rude at times.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
We were able to carry them on, but kept them minimally packed. Be ready to be squashed on air canada, seats have literally no leg room, planes were old with no monitors or wifi (at least on 4 of the 5 flights we took), and service was poor/rude at times.
Thanks, I'm going to watch the whole video tonight.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Well done gents. You indeed captured the experience completely. I was really impressed with your guides. I agree with your point that not all NL guides are going to go to the extreme in terms of hiking difficult terrain to get their clients on real trophy animals. Your hunt designation of "trophy hunt" seemed to have tapped two of Efford's top people. If a prospective hunter doesn't insist on a physically demanding, remote hunt, many NL guides will be content to shoot a younger bull near the camp.

Trial153

WKR
We are still in camp at MVO, waiting to fly out tomorrow. The moose hunting been horrible, according to the guides they havent killed a good one yet in either camp this year. All small bulls.
I seen 8 bulls this week while bowhunting, all scrubs. Didnt see even an a close to an OK bull. My dad missed a shooter bull on Monday and the killed a forky for meat yesterday and another hunter killed a small bull on Thursday. Today the last guy shot a cow.
Only two decent bulls were seen all week at island pond
I arrowed a good woodland caribou in Tuesday so got what I came for so the week of moose hunting was a bonus.

Last edited:

mintonmj

FNG
We just finished our hunt and had a blast. We went 4 for 4, sizes were 46 - 17pt, 42 -14 pt, 41 -13pt, 38 - 13 pt. Here are the pictures, i'll write up a long post when a get some time but pm me in the mean time if you want more details.

Great looking moose! I would love to talk to you a little about your hunt, but I guess I can’t PM yet on here. I’m working on booking a hunt for 2021.

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Great looking moose! I would love to talk to you a little about your hunt, but I guess I can’t PM yet on here. I’m working on booking a hunt for 2021.
407 493 9488, just give me a ring...if i don't answer shoot me a text. sometimes its hard to tell if its spam.

I spoke to Moose Valley extensively at the GAOS. He seemed like a good guy.
I also talked to Gander, and he seemed like a good guy, but has bad reviews in this forum.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke to Moose Valley extensively at the GAOS. He seemed like a good guy.
I also talked to Gander, and he seemed like a good guy, but has bad reviews in this forum.
I went with Moose Valley in 2019. I had a great time. I highly recommend

Even if you do not intend to do this hunt, I highly recommend that you watch the video by FSUHUNTER. An hour of complete entertainment. One of the best hunting videos I've seen. Make some time, crack a nice cold beer and enjoy.