Newfoundland Equipment list

Do I need a range finder, & shooting sticks? I normally like to travel light, without binoculars, without anything that I normally don't use.

I understand Newfoundland is mostly under 200 yards... Especially 1st rifle week, with leaves still on the trees.

Trial153

WKR
Yes you need binoculars. Yes you should have a range finder. Cant help you with shooting sticks as I bow hunt. I would imagine you can shoot off your pack if its soild enough.
There are plenty of places in NL that youd can probably reach out a bit distance wise.

rlmmarine

WKR
Youll jave to tell me more about what your going for bear, moose, caribou. Yes you need shooting stick unless you want to lay down in a swamp. Bring hip boots you will need them

Big hint only step on something dark. You could find yourself wait deep in a bog by stepping on the light stuff

Its the wetest place ive ever been

OP
Short Track
We're in a Moose forum, therefore, I am hunting Moose. But I'll have a bear tag. Not that I would eat another bear, but I'll shoot it if I have an opportunity.

Speedbump

FNG
Do I need a range finder, & shooting sticks? I normally like to travel light, without binoculars, without anything that I normally don't use.

I understand Newfoundland is mostly under 200 yards... Especially 1st rifle week, with leaves still on the trees.
I don't think you need shooting sticks or a range finder. Nor do you really need camo. Probably you will not need waders, but that is a question to put to your outfitter. I am a big fan of 16-18" rubber boots like LaCrosse or Mucks. I fully agree with traveling light.
Binocs are a personal choice. I happen to like them. Your guide will likely have them.
Moose eyesight is poor, yet, they can be very curious critters. Keep the wind in your face and you can often approach to within 100 yards.
If there is a place to splurge, it might be for really effective rain gear, quiet material being more important that camo.
We took 4 bulls for 4 hunters last fall. Three were taken at about 200 yards, those guys were using 300 Mags. In all cases, the guides admitted that they could have gotten closer if necessary, or at the hunters request. The 4th moose was taken at 65 yards, after walking directly in front of him from about 250 yards out.
You should be able to dry everything out, if necessary, in the cabin overnight.
Good hunting.

The Lacrosse boots are very good and what you want in Newfoundland. The ground sinks as you step. Shots are very likely to take place under 200 yards so a rangefinder is probably not necessary.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently doing archery moose in Alaska in one of the swampiest, wettest places within 100 miles. I have a set of Kennetrek Mountain Guides with some kenetrek gaiters (don’t know what model, borrowing from my brother In law) and I’m dry right now. I also have mud to mid thigh on my pants from going knee-ish deep in the swamp about 30 minutes ago (little kingquad got high centered and then stuck). Out here I have sight lines like you do, very short or very long (meadows, ponds, creek channels where the brush isn’t over my head). I carry a range finder, binos, tripod, spotting scope and trekking poles (loop the end together and you make shooting sticks). With antler restrictions (50in, 3 brow tines, spike or fork) the added weight for the tripod and spotting scope is worth it. Cuts out unnecessary stalks and movement and the troopers up here take everything related to the hunt if you poach or harvest illegal game. No moose is worth all my gear, my truck and the wheeler so the weight is okay by me.

If you’re on foot in this terrain then trekking poles are a must. Trying to balance a loaded pack is a pain in the swamp. I don’t even want to think about what would happen if I didn’t have the poles and I happen to get lucky and have to pull a moose out of this area.

kiddogy

WKR
no you don't need a rangefinder . they're a nice addition , for sure . but you can teach yourself to judge distance fairly accurately. nor are shooting sticks really important. learn to shoot accurately using your knees as a rest,if there are no rests to be found.

IMHO . a good pair of binocs is probably the most important single gear item one should get. I am FIRM BELIEVER IN LETTING MY EYES DO as much of the walking as possible. just lazy that way

mooster

WKR
Muck boots. Rain pants. Range finder and shooting sticks. I passed up a 3-400 yd shot as I didn’t know the actual distance. Where I hunted I couldn’t shoot prone most of the time due to brush vegetation or swamp. Don’t expect your guides to have everything, mine didn’t.

I brought lite weight packable cabelas rain pants and Jax. The rain pants ripped at my boot the first day. The brush can be tough around the bogs. I ended up having to duck tape the tear each day as it grew.

Last edited:

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Good rubber boots first and foremost. I go with Lacrosse knee boots. A rain suit, I used a Cabelas brand on my last trip, light weight that could be stored and put on quickly if needed. This year I'm going with a Sitka Kelvin hoody, my last trip we spent a lot of time glassing and I wanted a warmer coat I could take on and off depending on how long I would be stationary. I used my binoculars a lot, bring a pair. I didn't bring a shooting stick, but considering one this go around. I think a comfortable pack is beneficial as well. On my first (and only to date) moose hunt up there we walked a good amount, a pack that fit me definitely didn't hurt. Waterproof pants, or at least water repellent for sitting and glassing. Having a wet butt isn't fun.

I'm heading back this October.