Newfoundland Ferry - Weather Issues this weekend (9/23-9/25)?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Blanc-Sablon Quebec ferry is $10 to reserve a spot for truck and 2 people. I just put a reservation in as a backup plan.

Really not thrilled at the idea of driving 2100 miles just to get to the ferry, but it's the only other option for driving....

Last edited:
I was just gonna recommend looking into a private charter plane. Split between 6 guys, they should be reasonable.
Might be different there, but here in SC and SE Alaska, when the weather turns ugly, aircraft are the first to be grounded, then we are forced to take a ferry. The ferry almost always can make it.

Good luck finding anyone who will fly in that!

Just made it to the hotel in St. John's via Air Canada. Sounds like most other flights from Toronto to NL were canceled today, but the red eye was able to avoid the storm, thankfully. There was some turbulence and the landing was the sketchiest I've been through but we made it. Good luck to all in both travel and hunting.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just made it to the hotel in St. John's via Air Canada. Sounds like most other flights from Toronto to NL were canceled today, but the red eye was able to avoid the storm, thankfully. There was some turbulence and the landing was the sketchiest I've been through but we made it. Good luck to all in both travel and hunting.
Good luck on your hunt!

PA Hunter

WKR
Wow thats the long way there im driving Thursday morning first light from PA to Deer Lake taking ferry night of 30th arrive Deer Lake on 1st. hunt is Oct 2nd. Should be cleaned up by then for major road travel.

if anyone sees my Burgundy Mega cab 3500 pulling a Blue enclosed Legend trailer in the North Sydney port on 30th stop by say hello.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wow thats the long way there im driving Thursday morning first light from PA to Deer Lake taking ferry night of 30th arrive Deer Lake on 1st. hunt is Oct 2nd. Should be cleaned up by then for major road travel.

if anyone sees my Burgundy Mega cab 3500 pulling a Blue enclosed Legend trailer in the North Sydney port on 30th stop by say hello.
Yes, the northern route looks very long and adventurous. My wife was protesting pretty heavily that I was even considering it....

Glad the NS to NL ferry is back up.

We'll be one day ahead up you. Crossing the night of the 29th. Will be at the Holiday Inn in Deer lake overnight for the 30th.

I just got back from NL. Was supposed to come out last Thursday… too foggy for helo to come in, then Fri too foggy again. Rode out the storm on Saturday (5’ Swells and 80mph wind) at camp and got heloed out on Sun and flew back yesterday. Bagged a moose. Guy In my camp got on ferry and drove back on Monday night And just got to Maine this evening. I went to NL on a bucket list hunt and got the bonus of riding out a Hurricane/Tropical storm and having the game warden land the chopper on us in middle of the hunt. Oh and Air Canada lost my gun and took 2 days to get it to me after clearing Customs in Toronto. Interesting trip! Were about 10mi NW of Burgeo.

Attachments

• PXL_20220920_161548606.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220920_161548606.MP.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220917_135753199.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220917_135753199.MP.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220924_200218764.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220924_200218764.MP.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from NL. Was supposed to come out last Thursday… too foggy for helo to come in, then Fri too foggy again. Rode out the storm on Saturday (5’ Swells and 80mph wind) at camp and got heloed out on Sun and flew back yesterday. Bagged a moose. Guy In my camp got on ferry and drove back on Monday night And just got to Maine this evening. I went to NL on a bucket list hunt and got the bonus of riding out a Hurricane/Tropical storm and having the game warden land the chopper on us in middle of the hunt. Oh and Air Canada lost my gun and took 2 days to get it to me after clearing Customs in Toronto. Interesting trip! Were about 10mi NW of Burgeo.
Man, that’s one HELL of an adventure! Congrats on your moose- I fly out this Saturday to chase Bullwinkle myself, hopefully sans-hurricane and baggage drama.

Suggestion, Apple airtags in your luggage - was a savior for me knowing where my stuff was and helping locate my lost gun. $100 for 4 trackers, even if you don't have an iPhone or pad I'm sure a friend does. Super easy to use. Good insurance against theft etc.