Newfoundland Flights

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We will be flying from Chicago Newfoundland the first week of October. I have a few questions as I have not flown to Canada. Do we go through Canadian customs in Chicago or when we land in Tronto? Do we have to go through security again in Tronto. Do they check our firearms again in Tronto? We have about a 2.25 hour layover in Tronto. Coming home I was told we go through US customs in Tronto.

US customs in Toronto is a nightmare !!! They suuuck. A total embASSment. Flew out of Gander, to Toronto, and you need to clear US customs in Toronto. I can't tell you the # of American hunters that missed their connection because US customs is understaffed, and take their sweet a$$ time. I missed mine, and Air Canada rebooked me. Air Canada is well prepared to handle the customs nightmare. They gave me lounge access.

Customs will ask you for your keys. They will uncase every rifle, touchy feely it. Remove the foam, inspect the foam. Pat down the entire case from the inside out. Put the rifle back in, not too carefully. Reclose the case, all while you watch from behind a counter. and when they get to it, they get to it. They could not care less that you miss your connection.

What they are trying to find from a lot of American hunters, I have no idea. They know it's hunting season. They should be prepared for the amount of firearms coming through. Why they have US customs in Canada is beyond me. All it does it kill connecting flights. US customs should be in the USA, and if they make me wait an hour, it doesn't matter.

Maybe I'll drive the next time, just to avoid Toronto.

Going into Canada through Toronto is easy. You will go through Canadian customs and pay the fee to enter with a firearm. All the customs agents I have dealt with were very nice (Canadian). You will then take your luggage, including firearm, through security again. Coming back and dealing with U.S. customs is a different story. Have all of your paperwork and lots of patience. They get very upset if you are on your phone. Don’t forget your customs declaration form.

Going into Canada is easy. They want your C$25.00 and you're on your way.

Coming home, I'll say it again. Stay away from Toronto, or drive.
I've driven across the boarder many times with a pistol & rifle. No problems.

The other option is to give yourself 5 hrs for the connection.

Read the firearms declaration form. You can certainly bring a pistol across the boarder. At least a few years ago when I did it. Maybe they changed it since.. This trip, I only had a rifle. But again,.. US customs is disgraceful.

Trial153

WKR
Read the firearms declaration form. You can certainly bring a pistol across the boarder. At least a few years ago when I did it. Maybe they changed it since.. This trip, I only had a rifle. But again,.. US customs is disgraceful.
Ah no. Sorry you can not transport a handgun into Canada for hunting or self defense.
You would need prior RCMP 5491 authorization snd neither of those reasons are grounds for it.

Trial153

WKR
On other note to new boarder crosses, dont flash your CCP or make reference to it unless your looking forward to repacking your stuff again after they table it and go through it.

Earlier this summer we flew home to GA from British Columbia after our bear hunt and had to connect in Toronto. It’s a damn nightmare! I was expecting “hey, guys! Welcome home!” but what we got was almost 2 hrs of headache and bullshit from US Customs! We almost missed our connecting flight home. Getting the guns into Canada in BC was a dream but the US Customs crowd in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired.

WTF is US customs doing in the middle of Canada !! If I went through customs at my home airport, and they busted my balls for 2 hrs, at least I'm not missing my connection. No biggie. But now they F up Air Canada and my flight schedule.. and they don't give a shiiiiittttt.
At least Air Canada is on the ball, and rebooked me without hassle.
Maybe we can get Trump Jr the hunter to straighten up Toronto.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles at the airport. I read a thread last year and was advised to take the early flight our of Deer Lake and the afternoon flight from Toronto to DTW. I did that knowing there would be some waiting time at customs. While I am glad that I took that advice, it was still a longer than anticipated wait at customs. It can be really frustrating for sure.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We fly out of chicago at 4pm and end up in deer lake about 1 am.. coming home we took the early flight from deer lake to tronto. Fingers crossed the border crossing goes smooth. We also left an extra day getting to newfoundland to kinda rest up.

tntrker

WKR
Flying into Toronto from the US and or vice versa, will you pick up your rifle case same as carry-on luggage then proceed to customs or will it be waiting at customs because it is a firearm..?

Every airport is different. Halifax is a breeze. Gander is a breeze. Newark is a breeze. Toronto US customs is a disaster.

tracker12

WKR
Well our flight to Gander was a nightmare at Montreal. Missed our flight and had to rebook the next day. We leave tomorrow for home and expect the same problems. Going to try and book an early flight out of gander to give us plenty of time to clear customs in Montreal. Good think is I got my moose

Ah no. Sorry you can not transport a handgun into Canada for hunting or self defense.
You would need prior RCMP 5491 authorization snd neither of those reasons are grounds for it.

this is not the 1st reference I have seen regarding taking handguns into Canada. 4" or longer barrel is needed.