Newfoundland moose back pack

fred14462

FNG
I am booked the 2nd week of October. I am in need of a new backpack. I would like it to be able to hold my rifle along with a set of primos tripods.. I dont think it needs to be able to pack a moose quarter just what I would need for the day. I have the nice light monopod but i quickly learned at shots over 200 yards i am not as steady as i use to be. the tripod might be a little much to carry in my hands all day. any suggestions?

Laramie

WKR
Eberlestock has some good options to carry the rifle. You will be able to strap the tripods on fairly easily to almost any pack. However, unless you are hiking in the dark or post kill, I would recommend the rifle be on your shoulder and the tripod be more easily accessible. You want to be ready when shots present themselves. Those tripods have a strap to keep the legs together making them a half way decent walking stick. I carry mine around and they are not a bother to me.

OP
F

fred14462

FNG
ok I want to state i, looking for a good budget friendly back pack. lol it does not have to carry a rifle. I have fount that a creed sling saddle should do that for me. and like Laramie stated the sticks will just be carried. So just a good solid pack is what im looking for

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Eberlestock gunrunner I think it’s less than $200. Holds a rifle and great day pack. I have used it for whitetail, lodge elk hunt, and lots of coon hunting with hounds.

Racer00

FNG
I took a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 with a Kifaru gun bearer on it when I hunted the rock last year. Comfy to carry. Hauled everything I needed and carries my rifle securely, yet accessible.

Rocsteel

FNG
Here's another vote for Eberlestock gunrunner. Great back pack and quite affordable too.

If you're not hauling moose or gun with it, look into a dry bag backpack if that works for the hunting style you'll be doing. There are dozens to choose from. Pick one with the straps along the side to secure your tripod or just throw it in the bag. That's typically all I bounce around with while out moose hunting during the day. All hunts are different, but I basically don't walk at all while moose hunting. Just a bag to get things between places where I sleep and where I'll be sitting for hours that also keeps stuff dry.

WMR

FNG
Buying gear is always fun, but this is probably a good place to save some dough. If not carrying meat or camp, then a cheaper daypack from Cabela's or someplace similar will work fine. Just be sure to get one big enough to carry extra clothes, food, water and survival essentials. This stuff does not have to weigh a lot so it will not require an expensive pack. Full disclosure: We've got a Barney's packframe and a MR Popup 38 as well. They are great for their intended purpose but are not needed on a day hunt when meat packing will not be done. I killed dozens of game animals wearing a $20 Walmart daypack. I finally junked it after 10 years or so when the zipper gave out. It worked fine for the purpose.