Newfoundland moose hunt

Denisver

FNG
Hey guys,

Anyone here ever hunt newfoundland for moose? The outfitter recommends 16" waterproof boots. I cannot trek long distances in rubber boots and tried on the rocky lynx waterproof snake boots but they are too tight on my big calves. Anyone have ideas or recommendations? Thanks for the help guys.

RS3579

WKR
I have hunted NF. I used a older Cabelas rubber boot. It was comfortable to me. All the guides used lacross Alpha Burly. Good luck

If all else fails get you a pair of rubber hip boots maybe a 1/2 size to big (for heavy socks ) cut the tops off where your comfortable with them , a roll of duct tap for around the tops to help keep them up.

keller

WKR
I hunted their 2021. Used rubber boots first day because that's what they said and all the guides wore them. Rest of the trip I wore kennetreks and kuiu yukon gaiters and paid attention to where I stepped. The guides asked what are those things your wearing over your boots? They worked fine and much more comfortable.

I used the waterproof snake boots. I tried a few brands until I found one that fit. Muck boots work well, but weren't for me. Most days regular boots are fine, but if you hit a bog, you'll be wet.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I wore lacrosse alpha burly pros i just wore good socks and actually walked in them before the trip to break them in abd had no issues the day we went 8 miles total. They certainly wernt my crispis but feet were dry and no blisters.

House21

FNG
I’m originally from Newfoundland and you’re going to want good rubber boots. Depending what part of the island you’re hunting a good pair of waterproof leather boots may work for most of your hunting but I’d carry a pair of high rubber boots or hip wadders because you will need them at some point

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I would take two pairs of boots, a boot dryer, and gaiters. Alternate boots and keep a pair drying. That’s what I did in Alberta, glad I did because some days we did 7-8 miles.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I went in early October this year to Newfoundland and would only take rubber boots going forward. I wore a pair of Lacrosse Aerohesd Sport 7MM and I’m glad I had them. Everywhere I’d step outside of the Argo, the seemingly dry ground was actually ankle deep or greater. The bogs are STRANGE things.

My son and I hunted NL Moose during Oct 2022. I had also hunted Woodland Caribou there in 1999. The advice you've been given about leaving your leather boots home is correct. Rubber knee highs are the answer. We wore rubber Xtratuf boots that we commonly use for many applications in Alaska. Ours were approximately 15 inches tall and worked perfectly on Newfoundland. Looks like previous comments have recommended good options. Good luck selecting what works best for you.

vdocLU164

FNG
I was there in October and wore lacrosse aero 3.5mm which worked great. Also brought a pair of waterproof knee high socks. Sealskinz was the brand and wore a pair of jungle boots. Quick drying with the weep holes on the sides. 5.11 brand. Wore them the last day after I shot my bull and went with my father and the guide as a camera man and they worked really well. Would have been fine the whole time in them as well.

I've hunted moose in Newfoundland many times. Everywhere we went it was WET with soft, sinking bog. You need high rubber boots. I used a set of Muck boots and was very happy with them. If you wear leather hunting boots, you'll spend more time looking at the ground to avoid steeping in a wet hole than you will looking for moose.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted there last year. We used the lacross alpha burly non insulated. The weee awesome.