Newfoundland Moose Processing issues?

Based on the general concern of the topic, I think that there is something that we all need to take into consideration here. Should we really be making such a fuss about a few hairs in our meat? I know that I have found a few hairs in my meat but I don't think I am in a position where I can make a big deal about it. When our meat shows up at the processor, we want them to get this thing cut up and processed as soon as possible so that we can hit the road and head home. This of course is a by-product of our own lifestyles. These guys are working long hours to process this so it is ready the next day for us to hit the road and head home to our lives. I think it is just incredible how they can get through one of these moose in such short order and have it all packaged and sealed. For the service that I received, I know that I don't have a big problem pulling a few hairs out of my meat.

Labdad

FNG
They can only work with what you give them.

I send my meat in Heavy duty meat bags already skinned. And i take pride in what I deliver. I know how clean it was when it got there. And so far, all but one of my experiences with packers has been at least good.

The guy we used in NFLD was excellent as was a packer in Wyoming .

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be hunting the deer lake area this fall and trying to figure out how I’ll get my meat (God willing) back home to Colorado. Doesn’t look like the freight option comes anywhere near me so thinking I’ll need to try and check it on my flight?? Any thoughts? Thank you

I’ll be hunting the deer lake area this fall and trying to figure out how I’ll get my meat (God willing) back home to Colorado. Doesn’t look like the freight option comes anywhere near me so thinking I’ll need to try and check it on my flight?? Any thoughts? Thank you
I would suggest speaking with your outfitter to see what the options are. You may have to work something out with another carrier to have it shipped from a distribution center. I personally wouldn't advocate for flying it home based upon the cost, but then again when you equal everything out, it might just be the better option to pay for your meat now versus waiting 3 months to get it back.

I'd have a hard time not just driving myself and bring it home with me...I'm in Michigan and the drive is less than 24 hours and someone told me it's 6 hours on the ferry. It just screams cheap chest freezer either on a small utility trailer or in back of pickup truck and run it with a power inverter if possible.

Speedbump

FNG
My partner and I used a shop down in Doyles, about 25 miles from the ferry. Outfitter flew out both of our moose on Thursday. Flew us out on following weekend, picked up our frozen, vacuum packed meat on the way to the ferry. We had 2 150 qt coolers and 2 40 qt coolers that was near perfect for our 2 moose. Got home 36 hours later, still frozen, no ice required.
The shop followed our instructions pretty well. Have eaten quite a bit of it over last 7-8 months, and am totally satisfied.
I did order it packaged in 1kg and 2 kg packages. (2 & 4 pounds roughly). Maybe that helped.

Tjwjr89

FNG
They are butchering my moose now. Seems they are now partnered up with Centra Newfoundland shipping. I filled out a shipping and butchering form at the float plane base before I left for hunt and just put my cc info down. Basic cut and wrap was 90 cents a pound. I shot my moose on Tuesday they called me on my way home Saturday to verify i wanted it charged to the same card as shipping. It was on my online statement that afternoon. $320 total.

PA Hunter

WKR
Like I said it’s not that bad, I had three of my moose done there and numerous others I brought back probably over a dozen. If you sit at home with a magnifying glass you will find a couple big whoop. They are fast, but pay them in Canadian vs US currency to save.

fred14462

FNG
My partner and I used a shop down in Doyles, about 25 miles from the ferry. Outfitter flew out both of our moose on Thursday. Flew us out on following weekend, picked up our frozen, vacuum packed meat on the way to the ferry. We had 2 150 qt coolers and 2 40 qt coolers that was near perfect for our 2 moose. Got home 36 hours later, still frozen, no ice required.
The shop followed our instructions pretty well. Have eaten quite a bit of it over last 7-8 months, and am totally satisfied.
I did order it packaged in 1kg and 2 kg packages. (2 & 4 pounds roughly). Maybe that helped.
Do you remember the name of the place in Doyles?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
My outfitter unbagged the meat at camp, trimmed some ugly stuff off that didnt get caught in the field, then washed it all off in the lake. Most hair and leaves float off. Then rebagged it in clean bags for flight out to processor at Daniels Harbor. Did it on the dock. It was convenient.