Newfoundland Moose Sept 16-23 (good week?)

Trial153

WKR
It can be in locations that you have good visibility and glassing points. Little early for the rut if you get warm weather.

Last edited:
I just heard a podcast about this. Trying to remember which one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bama Van

FNG
I have hunted Newfoundland 5 times ( love it) I have hunted the first week (killed an 11 pt.) I have hunted the 3 rd- 4th week of October ( my buddy killed a 22 pt Moose, I killed a 23 pt. woodland Caribou) its harder hunting that late. My favorite time to hunt is the last week of September or the first week of October, preferably the 1 st week of October. IMO Now my guide called a nice Bull in the week you are talking about last year for a hunter, so it is always possible, really depends on the weather. I have never not had an opportunity to kill a moose, except for the year I killed the Caribou, I have taken 3- 11 points and the Caribou and one year I passed on 5 different Moose trying to kill a bigger one (3 small bulls a cow and a calf).

I hunted the rut and while the area that I was in was pretty void of moose, it was still neat wondering what was around the corner. My guide just attached the caller to the top of his pack and we started climbing rocks and hills. That sounds of a rutting moose still rings in my head after constantly hearing it for 2 days. As we were cleaning my moose, we did have another smaller bull walk into us with snot coming out of his nose. It was a pretty cool experience. The rut is a fun hunt for sure!

Speedbump

FNG
NL is moving the opener back a week in 2019, and your dates might be just that. I like the early season, all the moose are there, they are in great shape, and the odds of being able to hunt every day are a little better.
Every time I've been there, I've seen a range of weather over any given week, so be prepared.
If the weather is "to nice" you hunt a little harder very early, and very late. While the rut has its charms, it's the most difficult time to get a reservation at the better outfitters, primarily doe to repeat business.
Be warned: No Sunday hunting in September, makes it a mighty fine travel day.
The truly great outfitters offer a seriously discounted late season hunt for those that fail to fill their tag, for any reason, other than being a bozo. A bozo is one who has shot at moose and wounded or missed.
In closing, hunt with a good, reliable outfitter, and there are no bad weeks.
Best wishes for a great experience.

PA Hunter

WKR
I hunt moose every other year in Newfoundland and the rut changes with the weather year to year. I try to get end of September into early October not the second week of October. I missed the rut completely 2 out of last 3 times there still got bulls just allot more work. If you hunt after the rut good luck they don’t move.

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a combo Woodland Caribou & moose hunt the first week of October, been waiting over two years for this hunt and beyond excited. Would love to share pack lists etc.

I'm doing opening week. Flying into Gander airport.. I heard there may be too many leaves on trees for good visibility. So possibly too thick ? Not sure, never been there before... I like to hunt before an area is hunted out.

Trial153

WKR
I have moose and bou tag this year also. Will be there the last couple days of Sept and the first week of October to bow hunt.

I saw 2 Caribou. No tag.. They are just dumb animals. I got within 20' of each. Not yards, feet !! After 30 seconds, they realize you're there & get all pissy, and strut off in a huff. Like I was bothering him.

PA Hunter

WKR
I am 3 for 3 in Newfoundland for moose I only hit the rut once and it was the first week of October. It is not easy at all if they are not rutting. I personally wouldn’t do mid September.

I am 3 for 3 in Newfoundland for moose I only hit the rut once and it was the first week of October. It is not easy at all if they are not rutting. I personally wouldn’t do mid September.
I am a 71 YO PA and Colorado hunter planning a NL Moose hunt. Would love to talk about your experiences there. Outfitter, etc.