• The fourm is under constrution. Thanks for your patience

Newfoundland question thread

INgunner54

Heading to NF in September 2020 for a hunt with Effords with my dad, and brother. Had a couple questions now, and I'm sure will have more as we get closer to time. My first is about air travel. I've read that Air Canada is not very hunter friendly as far as transporting firearms. Is there another airline we should look into? Air Canada did have a direct flight so that was a positive, but if we can't get there with rifles that doesn't really matter.

My second question pertains to the weather. I've read that it can be quite wet. My rifle is walnut stocked. Should I think about taking a different rifle that is maybe stainless/ synthetic, or should I just try to waterproof my walnut stock somehow? Thanks in advance! I'm super excited for this hunt, should be a great time.

Trial153

Most of your issues with travel into Deer Lake comes from lay overs in Toronto. Something to keep in mind.

Yes Newfoundland is wet but I think you will be fine with a wood stocked rifle.

Rs3003

I was in Newfoundland in Sept 2004. Hurricane Ivan followed us from Pittsburgh. It was non stop wind and rain from Saturday till Wednesday evening. I was the only one with a stainless/synthetic firearm. We just made sure to wipe and dry the gun after everyday. If our guns survived yours will also. Unless you need a reason for a new gun. Good luck. It’s beautiful there. Everyone was great towards us.

OP
OP
I

INgunner54

I was in Newfoundland in Sept 2004. Hurricane Ivan followed us from Pittsburgh. It was non stop wind and rain from Saturday till Wednesday evening. I was the only one with a stainless/synthetic firearm. We just made sure to wipe and dry the gun after everyday. If our guns survived yours will also. Unless you need a reason for a new gun. Good luck. It’s beautiful there. Everyone was great towards us.
Haha "need a reason for a new gun!" There is always a reason right! Thanks for the replies so far.

I flew through Toronto into Deer Lake last year. Hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters. The experience with Canadian customs was great. The customs agents inspected the rifle and paperwork, I paid my fee and was on my way. Coming back to the states,you go through customs with USA agents in Toronto as well. That was unorganized chaos with the most hateful lady I have ever met. Bad experience but have patience and a minimum 2 hour layover and you'll be fine. As far as a rifle, a walnut stock is fine but a new rifle is always a good idea.

OP
OP
I

INgunner54

I flew through Toronto into Deer Lake last year. Hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters. The experience with Canadian customs was great. The customs agents inspected the rifle and paperwork, I paid my fee and was on my way. Coming back to the states,you go through customs with USA agents in Toronto as well. That was unorganized chaos with the most hateful lady I have ever met. Bad experience but have patience and a minimum 2 hour layover and you'll be fine. As far as a rifle, a walnut stock is fine but a new rifle is always a good idea.
Thanks for the info! Haha you guys are enablers! For now I'm planning on taking my trusty 30-06 pushing some 180gr. Nosler Accubonds.