Newfoundland question thread

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to NF in September 2020 for a hunt with Effords with my dad, and brother. Had a couple questions now, and I'm sure will have more as we get closer to time. My first is about air travel. I've read that Air Canada is not very hunter friendly as far as transporting firearms. Is there another airline we should look into? Air Canada did have a direct flight so that was a positive, but if we can't get there with rifles that doesn't really matter.

My second question pertains to the weather. I've read that it can be quite wet. My rifle is walnut stocked. Should I think about taking a different rifle that is maybe stainless/ synthetic, or should I just try to waterproof my walnut stock somehow? Thanks in advance! I'm super excited for this hunt, should be a great time.

Trial153

WKR
Most of your issues with travel into Deer Lake comes from lay overs in Toronto. Something to keep in mind.

Yes Newfoundland is wet but I think you will be fine with a wood stocked rifle.

Rs3003

WKR
I was in Newfoundland in Sept 2004. Hurricane Ivan followed us from Pittsburgh. It was non stop wind and rain from Saturday till Wednesday evening. I was the only one with a stainless/synthetic firearm. We just made sure to wipe and dry the gun after everyday. If our guns survived yours will also. Unless you need a reason for a new gun. Good luck. It’s beautiful there. Everyone was great towards us.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I was in Newfoundland in Sept 2004. Hurricane Ivan followed us from Pittsburgh. It was non stop wind and rain from Saturday till Wednesday evening. I was the only one with a stainless/synthetic firearm. We just made sure to wipe and dry the gun after everyday. If our guns survived yours will also. Unless you need a reason for a new gun. Good luck. It’s beautiful there. Everyone was great towards us.

Haha "need a reason for a new gun!" There is always a reason right! Thanks for the replies so far.

I flew through Toronto into Deer Lake last year. Hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters. The experience with Canadian customs was great. The customs agents inspected the rifle and paperwork, I paid my fee and was on my way. Coming back to the states,you go through customs with USA agents in Toronto as well. That was unorganized chaos with the most hateful lady I have ever met. Bad experience but have patience and a minimum 2 hour layover and you'll be fine. As far as a rifle, a walnut stock is fine but a new rifle is always a good idea.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I flew through Toronto into Deer Lake last year. Hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters. The experience with Canadian customs was great. The customs agents inspected the rifle and paperwork, I paid my fee and was on my way. Coming back to the states,you go through customs with USA agents in Toronto as well. That was unorganized chaos with the most hateful lady I have ever met. Bad experience but have patience and a minimum 2 hour layover and you'll be fine. As far as a rifle, a walnut stock is fine but a new rifle is always a good idea.

Thanks for the info! Haha you guys are enablers! For now I'm planning on taking my trusty 30-06 pushing some 180gr. Nosler Accubonds.

PA Hunter

WKR
I go to Newfoundland every other year moose hunting but I drive up. You will be fine with your rifle just wile it down after coming back to camp. My second trip there my stainless rifle safety rusted and I had a hard time getting the safety off to shoot my moose. Take a cleaning kit with you for sure. It does rain pretty much but no big deal if you have decent rain gear. All my friends take their blued rifles and wood stocks.

NYSKIER

WKR
Of topic from your question but did you have to book two years in advance or you chose to do that? I'm looking into and NF archery moose hunt and am currently shopping around and checking outfitters out.

Trial153

WKR
I am heading up again this fall to bowhunt, I have woody tag as well. The Rock is just a great place to hunt. Everyone needs to check it off their list.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Of topic from your question but did you have to book two years in advance or you chose to do that? I'm looking into and NF archery moose hunt and am currently shopping around and checking outfitters out.
I don't know that I had to, but it wasn't gonna happen in 2019, and I wanted to make sure we were all committed to go so that's just how it worked out. I would start calling places now, it's easy to keep saying "yeah lets do it sometime" then it ends up not happening.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I go to Newfoundland every other year moose hunting but I drive up. You will be fine with your rifle just wile it down after coming back to camp. My second trip there my stainless rifle safety rusted and I had a hard time getting the safety off to shoot my moose. Take a cleaning kit with you for sure. It does rain pretty much but no big deal if you have decent rain gear. All my friends take their blued rifles and wood stocks.
Thanks! What's everyone recommend for rain gear?

Trial153

WKR
Most of the guides I seen wear HH type rain gear, some wear it all the time, rain or shine.
Rain pants are your biggest issue in NF as tuckamore will shred cheaply made rain pants.
Last hunt I packed a light weight packable filson rain pant. I thought before using them they would be semi disposable. I was wrong they held up excellent. I used a sitka dew point jacket.
My dad used sitka Cloud burst jacket and pants and they held up without issue. He was Rifle hunting and wore them pretty much the whole trip. I was bowhunting and changed in and out as needed.
The other two hunters in camp had new Kuiu ssets. They shredded the pants by day three, i gave them Tenacious tape I had in my packs to patch them up. Their jackets were fine. I dont recall the models.

We most likely will use the same set ups this year, although I might take the cloudburst and give Dad my coldfront.

PA Hunter

WKR
I like my kuiu Chugach for Newfoundland packs easily and works great. I use it as a windbreaker also. Layer up don’t wear heavy clothes some outfitters do death marches. Follow your guides exact footsteps without looking up or you may be over your head in a bog.

tracker12

WKR
Well I booked my travel today for my trip the first week of Oct 2019. Going Air Canada. Hopefully no problem.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Well I booked my travel today for my trip the first week of Oct 2019. Going Air Canada. Hopefully no problem.
Awesome! Good luck and have a great trip! Please report back when you get done, and maybe give a heads up on things I might not think of!

Tjwjr89

FNG
I'll also be with Effords the first week of October. Will be my first moose hunt. I'll be wearing a Sitka down pour suit.