Newfoundland shipping, butchering, taxidermy issues.

Tjwjr89

FNG
After my buddy and myself had successful Newfoundland moose hunts things have gotten hectic. We filled out our butchering and shipping info and our meat was sent right from the field to the butcher. All seemed well. Then a few weeks ago we both get bills from Newfoundland taxidermy which neither of us elected to use. His for $100 deposit for euro mount and mine for $500 deposit for shoulder mount. We get ahold of taxidermist and are told that butcher shop didn't have room to store our heads or my cape so they sent them to the taxidermist with our information and if we don't want them doing our mounts we'll have to get our outfitter to pick them up and take them back to butcher. Get ahold of our outfitter and he's not impressed with how butcher has handled situation and says he'll get out racks and my cape to shipper with our meat. Then my buddies card just got charged over $700 for shipping. Which is 6 50 lb boxes, his moose meat weight at butcher before processing was only 240lbs. I have not gotten billed for my shipping yet. Shipper says have to call back Tuesday when the boss is around to try and sort it out. Hunt, outfitter, and guides were awesome but I'll never do the fly/ship method again. Butcher is country side abbotoir and central Newfoundland shipping.

Trial153

WKR
If that's the place near deer lake ...they suck. Supposedly they changed hands this year and improved however, it seems ...not so much.
They used to not except CC cards and then refuse to honor any exchange rate even though they would invoice in Canadain dollars.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
My credit card was charged $600.00 for my moose, antlers and small piece of hide. I’m using the same outfits. I was told November pick up for the meat.

Trial153

WKR
If those prices include shipping and processing in amm honestly they arent that bad.

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
Yes it's the place near deer lake. That price was just shipping. His butchering cost was around $275 which would be just under 250lbs of meat before processing. That would be max of 5 boxes which is still only $600. Talked to other guy that shared camp with us. He was charged $600 for shipping. I still have not been charged anything for shipping and not sure where my rack or cape is at this point.

That seems about right. I had a charge of $192 to butcher (Daniels Harbour) in November (October Hunt) and then another charge of $490 to ship on Central NF. I also had a charge for a $100 deposit on my Euro Mount as well from Newfoundland Taxidermy. I was shocked at the cost as well when it came to the shipping of the meat, but when I stood back to think about it, it really wasn't that bad driving it all the way to Detroit. I could've always paid for it to be shipped home on the plane with me, but that would've been more. I think that you are actually doing OK with what you are getting charged. The part with your antlers and cape though is pure BS. I wouldn't be too thrilled with that.
To be honest with you, Newfoundland Taxidermy did a great job on my Euro mount. I am really happy with it. Keep in mind though, you will have to pay for it to be completed and for it to get shipped to your residence. My cost for that ended up being $991 to complete it and crate/ship it back to Michigan. It was complete sticker shock to me until I opened up the crate and saw what was inside.
I really do not think you are getting treated unfair with the costs. It just sucks because you never think about something being that expensive.

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
I fully expected the price of shipping just wasn't adding up to the lbs of meat we paid at the butcher. The misplaced cape and racks is what really is worrying me. Paying to have the euro shipped makes no sense because the rack ships free with the meat.

I fully expected the price of shipping just wasn't adding up to the lbs of meat we paid at the butcher. The misplaced cape and racks is what really is worrying me. Paying to have the euro shipped makes no sense because the rack ships free with the meat.
The amount of meat does not add up to the shipping. I spent a lot of time thinking about that myself. The only way to have done it cheaper would be to drive there and take it with you. Then there are a bunch of other factors to justify cost. Honestly, it is best to just pay it and forget about it! That is what I did and by the time it got to Detroit where I had to pick it up, all was forgotten with the boxes of meat coming back with me.
You must've been in line right away to get your skull cleaned and sent back. I shot mine the last day of september and did not get it back until the middle of June. Hopefully you do get it back with your meat. That would be pretty cool if that happened all at the same time.
Eating the first bowl of Moose Stew while looking at your antlers! Would be an epic moment!!

My Moose is at Ricks butcher, and shipping with everyone else. The cape is at Rex taxi or something like that... My outfitter is confident, but the PA drop off point is gone. So that screws me. I wanted to ship everything, (skulls) but I guess I have to support these people.... and I'm not sure about bringing in a skull with CDW...

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
My Moose is at Ricks butcher, and shipping with everyone else. The cape is at Rex taxi or something like that... My outfitter is confident, but the PA drop off point is gone. So that screws me. I wanted to ship everything, (skulls) but I guess I have to support these people.... and I'm not sure about bringing in a skull with CDW...

They actually just added the Allentown PA drop point back to the list but the shipper acted like it would be a real head ache to switch from the Delaware drop point that we had originally picked. Even though everything is still sitting at their shipping warehouse in Newfoundland. I will definitely be driving on any future hunts as the post hunt logistics have been a nightmare.

Man...I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with the people in Newfoundland based upon your comment '..Guess I have to support these people'. I honestly found them to be some of the most pleasant people that I had ever had the chance to deal with. I can maybe understand some of the frustration with the costs, but it is really no different than getting something back from remote Alaska. There are limited resources available on the island and everything has to be brought in, for the most part. Costs are always a tough pill to swallow, but just keep in mind that you made an investment in a potential hunt of a lifetime and its small price to pay. I certainly wish that I had asked the questions up front about some of these incidental costs, but that is only my fault for not budgeting correctly. I was not aware of this forum prior to booking my hunt, but there is so much god info on here that going forward I can do the research.
Please don't let a few dollars and frustration get in the way of clouding your experience of the hunt and the people. Soon enough you will be able to honor the animal with great meals and look up at your antlers and remember a great hunt.

Trial153

WKR
If you can't get along with Newfi's you need to stay the hell home. As a group youd be hard pressed to find anyehere nicer more friendy people especially to nonresident hunters.

PA Hunter

WKR
If you can't get along with Newfi's you need to stay the hell home. As a group youd be hard pressed to find anyehere nicer more friendy people especially to nonresident hunters.
I completely agree the Newfies are great people much better than any dealings I ever had with guides in United States and I have done a bunch. I do Newfoundland every other year and my outfitter and guides are like family to me .